Silly question - gear reader for a YBR 125

Karleigh
This post is 4588 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

This maybe a bit of a nooby question but if you don't ask you don't know!

Basically as a new rider I'm just about managing to get to grips with everything but one thing I think would make my life a hell of a lot easier is if I could tell what gear I was in... Is there such thing as a gear reader I could buy that shows what gear I'm in?!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I was going to make a crack about jeans, boots and a well padded bike jacket being the proper gear you should be in, but I won't :shakeno:

Seriously though a couple of weeks of riding your bike, it'll become second nature to you, as to which gear you're in, plus you can use the money you've saved and spend it on something more needy for your bike.

That one probably won't, but this one would:

http://www.digital-speedos.co.uk/gear-change-indicator-shift-light-multi-colour-for-vehicles-with-cable-drive-speedometer-127-p.asp

It looks to be relatively easy to install and set up.

:movingeyes:

And I have all the correct 'gear'... It's all pink and black, naturally :)

My nails even match my boots haha!

tumblr_lsupbvuDho1qj13c6o1_500.jpg

hiya :)

just keep changing up till theres none left...that'll be sixth (does a YBR have six?) more importantly is having the revs right for the load applied, like..you wouldnt want to go up a steep hill in top gear and big throttle openings...keep the motor buzzing and not labouring. ;)

just keep changing up till theres none left...that'll be sixth (does a YBR have six?) more importantly is having the revs right for the load applied, like..you wouldnt want to go up a steep hill in top gear and big throttle openings...keep the motor buzzing and not labouring. ;)

Have to agree on that, I have a ybr 2010 model (5 gears) I just read the revs and listen to the engine and only after 4 days and 400 miles on this bike I have it down to a T so to speak :)

It won't take long to pick it all up :)

ogb is correct , it don't realy matter what number your in , its about feel , and iff it feels right you will know,

and again iff it feels wrong ,,,,you'l know.

keep kicking till you can't kick any more.

Thanks for your help guys, going to try and soldier on without one.... My YBR's a brand new 61 plate so only has the five gears but yeah, me and hill starts don't really get along too well atm...

I'm doing a rideout to Southend on Saturday with about 16 other bikers, I know they'll look after me but it's my first proper run and I'm crapping myself just a lil bit! Wish me luck!

Gear indicators are for wusssy suzuki riders , They fitted em as standard , at one time, Ok i could see the place on the rotary engined RE5 for them,

but having riddden and driven most things the only other thing i have seen was a scania automatic truck with one , that was interesting, it told which gear it was going into next a couple of seconds before it changed, the system was the normal manual box computer controlled, Without a trailer starting out on the open road it would change from 1st straight too 5th in one block ,

Gears is just experience.

You have 3 basic sounds - The rumbling burble of an idling engine, the growly sound of the powerband, and lastly the screaming agony of an over-revving engine struggling.

Change up just before the engine starts screaming. Change down just before it starts burbling and feeling a bit lazy.

Since you will, "of course", be closely watching your speed as all well-behaved bikers do... Once you're in the correct gear (easy as), you'll start learning what the bike sounds like at each speed range and learn to tell your gear from how it sounds at the speed you're doing. Couple of weeks riding and you'll be like a pro!

I got told off during my riding lessons for "thrashing" the YBR i was learning on...

but as previously mentioned with a bit more experiance you will learn where the powerbands are, what revs are more economical and what sort of gears you need for the road conditions and gradients, the XJ will go up most hills in 6th at 30mph, then work its way up to the full 130 (er, i mean 70mph...) but having not ridden a YBR for over a year now i havent got much of an idea of what they ride like, aim to change around half way through the rev range as a rough guide

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online