Bike Transport

ICPurvis
This post is 4787 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, My daughter is moving (to Manchester) and wants me to transport her Virago. I have transported other bikes around locally using a "Monocle Lift", which holds the front wheel and allows the rear wheel to run on the road (similar to

), but I have not yet travelled this far or as fast as I will have to (130 miles at 60 MPH), so I am a bit concerned about overheating or otherwise damaging the gearbox by thrashing its guts around at high speed without the engine running. My question is: will the gearbox be lubricated sufficiently by being rotated by its output sprocket, or should I remove the chain so the gearbox does not rotate. Regards, Iain, in Rugby

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Get a bike mover to do it for about £75. Or just ride it there. Rugby to Manchester? That is a commute.

what about just leaving the engine idling whilst it's on the back?

+++i would also ride it, far easier overall

Daughter says she would ride it, but as I'm taking a load of her stuff plus the moggy, so she'll be coming with me in the car with the moggy on her lap. Think I'll take the chain off, just in case. :-) Iain.

Aye, definatly chain off or you will wreck your gearbox.

EDIT: was this a post ta try and promote your business????????????????????????????????

can't you just borrow a van,

or maybe abuse the AA ,just tell them the chains been stolen and you need to get it to manchester.:unsure:

Aye, definatly chain off or you will wreck your gearbox.

EDIT: was this a post ta try and promote your business????????????????????????????????

NO!!!! But I can see where you're coming from. My Monocle Lift is home-made, and a lot better than the one featured in the clip, in that it has swivelling flat plates for the tyre to rest on, not the sharp corners of commercially available ones, which I would imagine could wreak havoc with the cords of your tyre treads. I have seen several different makes of lift on eBay, but I don't know how many get sold, maybe I should knock up a few more and try selling them, who knows, might be a little gold mine ;-) Regards, Iain.

Turf her out and get her to ride it. Do the bike the world of good. Get everything nice and hot, settle the valves, the works. It will run better for weeks afterwards. And you can travel faster, you wont have a tyre looking like something from a 1950's racer either.

Plus i would far sooner do 130 miles on a bike than in a car, boooorrrrriiiinnnnggg.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online