DT 175 MX Rear carrier/ rack

NE0
This post is 4089 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys

I bought my DT as a winter commuter bike, Its being well used in all weathers, and I've clocked up over 280 miles already and I've only had it for 6 weeks. :D

Now I'm looking at putting a rear rack on it for my works bag and chain etc, might even put a removeable topbox, but first i need a rack.

I guess the chance of finding a new one specifically for the MX will be remote, nonetheless I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone know if a another rack for another bike just happens to fit? or is it a case of make your own/DIY?

or any other ideas.

I found this photo on the net, i don't think it looks too bad at all.

dtrack.jpg

However, before anyone says don't do it, use a rucksack etc, my bikes not going to shows or anything.

Its stricty a working bike, it's unlikely to go green laning, and i've had enough of my rucksack! :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Rare as

F8C_hens_teeth.jpg

NEO :P

However I managed to get myself one last year, mine is a 'Tower' products brand and dates back to the early 80's. I have only seen one other on ebay since I bought mine.

100_1439.jpg

DTMX's are popular in France so it might be worth a look on ebay or leboncoin on Francais B)

• 2 months later...

Well no luck getting an original, one did come up on ebay recently i did have a bid but it went for a bit more than I wanted to pay (Got a feeling that was you selling paul :D )

I kept up a fruitless search on ebay, but in the end decided to 'modify' one ;)

I purchased a buy it now rack for a Skyteam ST for £12

being black it meant I didn't have to worry about any chrome.

dtrk.jpg

I promptly cut off the fixing brackets and set about fabricating a pair of new arms with my MIG welder.

Keen eyes will have noticed I also fitted a helmet lock, my DT was missing the original one and on ebay a NOS one was over £50. However, i purchased one for a XS250 for £15 and fabricated a mount for it welded onto one of the arms.

A quick respray later and I think it looks ok........what do you think? :D

dtrk2.jpg

dtrk3.jpg

Cracking job neo" i like that year of Mx175, nice colour scheme,,B)

Lovely job on the rack, not a fan of helmet locks myself after coming back to my bike outside work to find some arsehole had broken an egg into it. :angry:

I had the best of it though, they had used the one on the bike behind mine as a urinal :blink:

Never used one since, my helmet stays with me unless i can leave it safe no mater how much of a pain in the arse it is.

...and now with GIVI removeable topbox

in matching colour scheme!

dtgiv.jpg

Looking nice that mate, you've just inspired me to look at my frame and see if I can add four lugs on it so I can have a top box on back of mine, good for fishing dead bodies,etc, mind you I'm thinking of fabricating those latch pins you have on trailor backs, to make it ultra quick release, daft question, but does it add much drag? i.e less economical as a Thule roofbox, car rack,does on a car?

daft question, but does it add much drag?

well, it's been a bit of a windy day today!

I certainly was aware of the top box on the back, but as regards to 'drag'. No i don't think it does that much.

After all its not like having a pillion on the back. ....But it was great not to have to ride with the rucksack on, which is the main reason for putting it on.

yeh I think youve made a real good job of that,and saved yourself a few quid carnt be bad,have same thought if I ever get DT finished for camping gear etc... will keep eye out for XS lock, as you say genuine dt bloody dear

all the best Phil

• 1 year later...

Very Nice indeed......Is it Yamaha or aftermarket, and was it specific to the DTMX range or did it fit others?

Either way, thats a great find you have there,................ebay?

• Who's Online (See full list)