650 Dragstar screens..........any use at all?

Leatherat
This post is 4640 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently sold my XJ900S Diversion and bought a XVS650 Dragstar, which I'm very pleased with save for one thing............... motorway riding. At speeds in excess of 60mph (which is another niggle to be honest, it's not very rapid 85 - 90 absolute max) it takes a gargantuan effort to hold on to the hadlebars, my full face helmet is shoved right back into my nasal passage and keeping my head from being either pushed up or down is nigh on impossible. So I was thinking about a screen, they look pretty awful but I was hoping someone might have something constructive to say about fitting one. Will it transform the XVS650 into a useable machine for motorway cruising, or am I destined to remain pottering about on the backroads?

I hope the screen thing is a goer as it's otherwise a great bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

the bike might be slow .....ish but it has some grunt so think a screen would help you out and not affect the speed too much.

you just got to think all that weight to power, plus the wind resistance..... but most of the wind resistance is smacking u in the face, so by rights a screen would reduce drag and make it a little more stream lined and bearable at high speeds.

It will keep the flies out your teeth ;)

I didn't notice your 900 div in the 'for sale section' :( I would give my right manboob for one :o

Sorry Barkwindjammer but it was sold very quickly and easily. There are thousands out there but that one was a low mileage, 3 owner minter with full Givi luggage and very reasonable at £1700............

Picture175.jpg

Picture174.jpg

(As an aside.....I couldn't advertise it on this site as I'm not a paid up member and unless you stick your hand in your pocket which I'm not prepared to do, you can't sell or advertise for wanted stuff)

If you ever do look at buying a 900 Divi, drop me a line and I'll run you through the things to look out for.

As a jobbing all round bike, the 900 Divi can't be beaten...fact. But it's not a sexy machine, it's heavy (heavier than this dragstar) the 900 motor is bulletproof but thirsty and the summers coming so I wanted a knicker elastic twanging dream machine B) for those long warm evenings cruising up and down the promenade.

So I bought this.............

Picture188.jpg

Picture189.jpg

I love it, but the force 12 blast which comes over the handlebars is unbearable.

:D:D:D Do chicks dig the bugs in the teeth look these days? If not I guess I'd better get a screen! :lol:

The Dragstar is less than half the horsepower of the Diversion, so it's going to be slower, just going to take some getting use to. Quick snap of the throttle overtakes are a thing of the past, but on the brighter side the dragstar handles better than the 900 Divi, creating more confidence which means cornering speeds can be greatly increased, although the foot pegs will need to be replaced on a regular basis.

So I bought this.............

Picture188.jpg

Picture189.jpg

:( Ooo i think i just blew my load.. :D:D Nice Bike.

Razor :thumb:

Nice divi ya sold there Leatherat,

nice paniers too

Hi, I had an XVS650 for a few years, I rode the bike without a screen for a month or so and had the same effects as you with the wind buffeting. I decided to fit a screen and can report that it does make a significant difference, maybe not to your top speed or acceleration but to the riding comfort.

I now have an XVS1300 without the screen and find it very tiring riding long distances. It would be good to find a fast detachable screen as I like the look of the bike as it is and the bulk of my riding is local with just a few long distance jaunts per year, it would be good to have a screen at those times.

Hope this helps.

I've got the OEM screen on the 1300 (had tall one but chopped it down from 23" to 17" so I could see over it rather than through it, tall = dangerous in rain). Screens are must for comfort on cruisers and I wouldn't go long distance/motorway with out it. The OEM screen on the 1300 removes easily enough - four allen bolts and its off...

Whereas I've done about 8,000 miles a year over the past 4 years, in all weathers, on all roads... No screen, no problem. Mostly at 80mph. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I never noticed excessive drain or strain...

On motorways, my fingers are holding on but thimbs are relaxed. I maintain control and position using natural joint tension rather than muscle.

Try shifting your backside back an inch in the seat and rotating your hips forward slightly. That, or slide slightly further forward and rest in a slight slouch.

At higher speeds, try just keeping a light controling grip and letting your arms hang nice and loose. If you can flap your elbows like you're dancing to The Birdie Song, then all is good. You want no tension anywhere in your body, aside from a slight bit to hold the throttle open.

This is really hard to explain....

:blink: Not being one for 1980's dance crazes (at any speed let alone 80mph) I have today ordered one of these from the good people at Highway Hawk, (through Matts Motorcycles Bristol )

Screen.jpg

Delivery is expected towards the middle of next week, I'll post picture and a fabulously positive reveiw once it's fitted.

You are now subject to every joke that revolves around CHiPS... including the "You're A Homo" internet craze pictures!! :lol:

Hope it helps the ride, though!!

Collected the Highway Hawk screen this morning, spent all afternoon fitting it.......what a ball ache! The screen itself is great but the universal fitting kit is very poor, it doesn't fit to the bars nicely at all. I'm going to have to have some ali mounting blocks machined to make it a good job, but it's on and what a difference it makes! There is about a 5mph top end improvement, and so much more comfortable. Anyway, a full report with photos will follow in a couple of days, but for now, suffice to say that if you're thinking of a screen for your cruiser you'll not regret it, however be aware the Highway Hawk Large Windshield is not a quick fit if you want it to look good straight out of the box.

I put a screen on my 535 and it makes all the difference.

I hate the bloody sight of it though :angry: , but it makes a much more comfortable ride :D Now if i could only keep my right foot on the peg. :lol:

Razor :thumb:

Ok, so here's the pictures.........

Picture183.jpg

Picture184.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture190-1.jpg

Picture191-1.jpg

Picture186.jpg

Picture187.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Picture188-1.jpg

The screen cost £140.00 from Matts Motorcycles, Bristol and is actually very good quality, you have to strip the bolts out from the stainless strips when you first get it home as the stainless has that blur cling film all over it, (gives you the chance to make all the screw heads line up). Once thats done, you have to build the mounting kit onto the screen, then take it all off again once you realise that it's a PITA to fit with all that hardware hanging off it.

The main problem I encountered was with the rather ugly and inadiquate mountings for the handlebars. As you can see in the picture they just can't be made to fit well. I guess thats the problem with universal fittings. Anyway, it's on and only moves slightly (Rotates on the handlebars towards the rider) at speeds in excess of 85mph, which was of course tested on a local private test track :rolleyes: .

I have plans for new billet mounting brackets, they are to be machined locally and once done I'll post some pics.

Thanks, it's mint condition, having covered only 11,700 miles in 13 years. Even the underside of the frame and engine casings are clean. It's not the bike I was looking for, but once I'd seen it, I had to buy it. The addition of the screen makes motorway use far more viable.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online