rectirier?

j.neep
This post is 4836 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey my name is justin and i am from arkansas. i was riding my 1972 dt2 and the headlight and taillight went out. after a stop from the local police dept i had to park it. now the weather is getting better i want to tear up the dirt. unfortunatly i cant ride itto the track without lights. what is my problem? any help will be nice.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Sounds like an electrical issue to me.....

Check the cheap stuff first - lightbulbs, fuses, connections.

Then start down the road of checking all the wires and other components.

My bet is the bulbs are blowing because the voltage is too high. Main things to check are that the battery is ok and check the voltage with the engine running (at higher revs too). If it's high and the battery/wiring is ok I'd be looking at the rectifier as you suspect. Looks to be a common problem on these bikes and I had the same thing happen a couple of weeks ago on the way to work in the dark. I'm waiting on a rectifier as I'm pretty sure everything else is ok.

On the end of that, anyone know if a rectifier can be tested with a multi-meter?

Hope that helps.

Gordo

On the end of that, anyone know if a rectifier can be tested with a multi-meter?

Hope that helps.

Gordo

yep, its just diodes which only let electricity flow in one direction. set multimeter to dc 12v and connect each wire if the juice flows both ways ie + and - switched , the diodes are gone.

there are probably more tests but i don't know any more.