First big bike

Gazza M
This post is 4887 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm on a YBR125 at the moment, probably going to do my test around february time... soon as that's done i'd like to get a bike that actually goes! don't get me wrong, the YBR is pretty awesome as a learner, but as soon as you get on anything fast... not a chance.

So what do you guys reckon I should look at? I'm 19 now so I'll be restricted to 33bhp - not much but 3x the power I'm running at the moment! So I'm thinking a 500 twin or something that'll restrict well but still have plenty of grunt B)

ive been looking at the kawasaki gpz500 and honda cb500s (sacrilege! not a yamaha :huh: )... and im 6'2" and around 80kg, so I don't reall wanna be too cramped!

Cheers

Gary

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

A 400cc is usually dead on 33bph, so no need to fit a restrictor.

I remember being very comfy on the Yamaha XJ-400 when I was doing my DAS.

I also recall the Suzuki GS500 was fucking horrendous!!

Pretty much any bike can be restricted, so it's up to you - I personally would love someone to ride a restricted Triumph Rocket III or a Hayabusa, just because it meant they could legally ride one! :D

I was looking at getting a 600 restricted after doing my test, gsxr600, r6, cbr600 etc etc.

In the end, I settled for the Kawasaki Ninja 250r, it's quick (pulls 0-60 in 5.4), it does highway speeds (max 110mph), relatively comfy for a sports bike and loads more. If only Yamaha did something similar I'd bag it. The one I got was a 2009 Fuel Injected one and it's bang on 33bhp. The fact that it's a 250 also means you pay less tha a 400 or a 600 (regardless of if it's restricted or not, they'll still charge ya the full price!). It did, however, set me back £2000, and the insurance was still £650 (I'm still 17).

I'll think you'll find that the 33bhp produced by the 250 range of sports bikes makes a huge difference stepping off a YBR125. I don't know many other 250's, maybe due to my general ignorance, I know Aprilia do an RS250, but thats about all I know.

Good luck with your test, also.

Try to go out on purposeful rides where you say to yourself ''right im going to ride like it was the test''. i.e. pulling every lifesaver, looking around before pulling away, no silly overtakes, etc... (not that you SHOULDN'T be doing that anyway!!!)

Take it easy,

Chris

And don't forget a bike that has 33hp because it was designed to will always ride better.

Yamaha XJ600, bought mine for £400 with 37k on the clock, ive not had any trouble with it since ive been riding it, parts are dirt cheap, restrictors are available, they top out at about 130mph but comfortable enough at 70-80, and you dont see very many on the streets nowadays

plus its a yam, 'nuff said :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online