Engine Dies...

foundafiver
This post is 4919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All

I'm a newbie here. Been meaning to get a bike for years and finally took the plunge this summer (at the age of 36!) and got myself an '05 DT125re. Riding round the streets of London and dying to get out into the country!

Unfortunately it's developed a problem i can't fathom out and can't get it to the garage without paying for a van so if any of you with knowledgable heads can help i'd be most grateful.

After a weekend left out in the rain I struggled to start the bike and had to bump it. Got it started and rode it 100 yards before it stalled. I had no more problems starting now but it dies as soon as i put it into gear. Thought it might be the clutch but if I run the bike along the road and knock it into 1st whilst moving, it still dies. Simply dies, not lurches or anything.

I'm stumped - could it be the side stand kill switch or would that just mean it wouldn't start at all? Could it be a carb/fuel issue - but again, would it run at all?

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

That's where my money is.

I will go with gas up as well, it's probally got some rain water in the switch and its sticking ,pull the rubber back on the switch(that supposed to keep the water out) get your girlfreinds or your mums hair dryer on it , then give a squirt of WD40 and work it up and down, dont get the hairdryer too close to the plastics though

cheers

aL

Thanks for all your replies so far...

I'm gonna take a proper, daylight look at the switch today, but from my initial inspection (took the back off and bridged the contacts to complete the circuit last night), it made no difference and still died.

I wasn't thinking about water in the fuel/coils/carb etc as it is running ok in neutral - a little rough but then it's a DT!

So it could run out of gear and stall when in gear because of this, yes?

thanks again

So it could run out of gear and stall when in gear because of this, yes?

Yep. I had a KLE a while back that used to stop when the revs hit xxx, took me ages to figure it out! Remember that your bike is a single and quite 'lumpy' compared to the nice smooth inline bikes. The side-stand will be bouncing a bit, especially if the switch is making bad contact.

However, you say you shorted out the wires and it still did it... you might want to check the whole cable back to the loom and see if there are any breaks, or frays.

you might want to check the whole cable back to the loom and see if there are any breaks, or frays.

Daylight rocks! Spot on Gas up.

Just followed the wire back from the switch and up... Lo and behold, tucked in behind the fuel valve is a blue plug that had come apart where the switch connects back to the loom.

Now just to get my rear indicators and front brake light connected up...

Thanks again for your help. I should have my bike legal and running just in time for the first ground frost!