12v switches

Paulwhite
This post is 4925 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello

can anyone show me a website where i can get my hands on some mini 12volt switches to use for some custom switchgear for my xvs 125 bobber?

the idea is to replace the big bulky switchgear for something minimalistic, so im hiding all the wiers in the bars and making it look like it has no switches at all! but im having trouble finding the switches i need :( they need to be able to handle the electrics but be as small as possible. maplin was no help and e-bay was rubbish .

cheers.

.Paul.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello

can anyone show me a website

Try these guys, I've used them in the past. Vast selection of stuff, you'll have to search though

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

No brainer, Vehicle wiring products. should be a good place to look. Their stuff is pretty good. Good service too, and cheap.

I think you mean these:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Switches/Push-Button-Switches/Micro-miniature-push-button-switch/30271

BUT

You can't wire the bike's power system through them and expect it to work properly. 2 reasons for this, mainly the switches are not realiable with large currents (and these ones are not rated for more then 0.5 amp, a headlamp draws 6). Switches that can handle the current are often too big to fit and also if you don't use relays you'll need many more wires going to the bars and then you have the problem of getting them all inside.

You only need 2 of these switches, unless you have indicators. One controls the headlamp and one for the horn. you need 2 extra for indicators.

Also you need to wire up a relay system: you simply can't get the functionality without using relays. Thats what they use on choppers.

We offer a design service as well as a full re-wire.

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/Switches/Push-Button-Switches/Micro-miniature-push-button-switch/30271

BUT

You can't wire the bike's power system through them and expect it to work properly. 2 reasons for this, mainly the switches are not realiable with large currents (and these ones are not rated for more then 0.5 amp, a headlamp draws 6). Switches that can handle the current are often too big to fit and also if you don't use relays you'll need many more wires going to the bars and then you have the problem of getting them all inside.

You only need 2 of these switches, unless you have indicators. One controls the headlamp and one for the horn. you need 2 extra for indicators.

Also you need to wire up a relay system: you simply can't get the functionality without using relays. Thats what they use on choppers.

that's what i have on my tracker, just need to locate a rubber end to go over the switch. Any ideas?

BUT

thanks im interested in the design servive but id rather do the wiring myself as it saves on cost, i have been looking at some micro switches but as you said i would need relays to make it all work properly. i was toying with the idea of replacing all of the switchgear with custom ones so thats horn, lights (on, off, high, low and flash), kill, and starter but i think its going to be one big headache to figure out and fit, just a shame they cant make a micro switch good enough to handle the current.

thanks im interested in the design servive but id rather do the wiring myself as it saves on cost, i have been looking at some micro switches but as you said i would need relays to make it all work properly. i was toying with the idea of replacing all of the switchgear with custom ones so thats horn, lights (on, off, high, low and flash), kill, and starter but i think its going to be one big headache to figure out and fit, just a shame they cant make a micro switch good enough to handle the current.

Even if they did you still have to many wires round the head stock, using relays you can choose very fine wires and you only need 3 going to the handle bars. In sleeving this loom is half the diamater of a Bic biro, meaning just one very small hole to let the loom out from inside the bars.

If you want me to look at wiring this up I need a full list of what you want.

Even if they did you still have to many wires round the head stock, using relays you can choose very fine wires and you only need 3 going to the handle bars. In sleeving this loom is half the diamater of a Bic biro, meaning just one very small hole to let the loom out from inside the bars.

If you want me to look at wiring this up I need a full list of what you want.

right... ok il explain the best i can.

on the left hand controls im wanting a button for the horn, a 3 way toggle switch for the indicators,(left,stop,right) and a button to make the lights from low beam to high beam (push in for high beam and also acts as a flasher).

on the right hand controls im wantin a similar setup (2 buttons and a toggle switch) a button for electric start, a 3 way toggle switch for the lights (main lights, side lights,off)

and a button for engine cut off (say in for running and out for stopping)

if its all loose then i can make a plate to mount it all onto b4 its bolted to the bars.

all the relays, ecu, diodes, solenoids, and everything else bulky will be going into the battery box that il be making to look like a custom oil tank.

if you could do it so it goes something like this:-

battery - relays-(connector)- loom (going under the tank)-(2 connectors)- then to each handlebar controls and pop a fuse box in there somewhere?

id need to do a diagram and post it up, but if you could get back to me with some sort of price? id be grateful