XJ6-S Additional Wind Deflectors

David Baker
This post is 4075 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey,

was just wanting to pick a few of your heads over this. Its getting colder here up in Glasgow, Scotland as some of you may be experiencing. I was looking for increased protection mainly for my hands and for my upper body. I know i can lean into my bike for some protection but i was wondering if there was something more if i didn't want to fully lean in. I dont like the bike's touring screen so was looking for something different. Also i was looking for some more protection for my hands, i've though about muffs but i've been told they are quite dangerous and can sometimes catch on the brake and clutch leavers. I was wondering what you winter hardened bikers do for the cold?

Thanks

David

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Heated grips is one way, they do help but wind deflection is another thing,

Sorry, i forgot to mention i've got heated grips. They help a little but i really dont feel them that much through my gloves

Sorry, i forgot to mention i've got heated grips. They help a little but i really dont feel them that much through my gloves

Heated grips really only work when there paired with hand shields in my opinion. A taller wind screen will through alot of the wind over your head but it comes with a drawback of fluttering in your helmet. The hand shields are good but the screen is up to you.

Important to keep warm,,,,,,tired, cold rider is asking for a crash. 3 r 4 T-shirts is better than any 1 best jumper you have. The more layers ya have on the better rather than just 2 warm jumpers,,,,,,,ya get me ! There are good rain jackets out there (not for the rain) but to brake the wind off your chest, they have no wips down the front and pull on over your head. There is also great thermel vests out there that are designed for bikers.

Heated grips really only work when there paired with hand shields in my opinion. A taller wind screen will through alot of the wind over your head but it comes with a drawback of fluttering in your helmet. The hand shields are good but the screen is up to you.

Important to keep warm,,,,,,tired, cold rider is asking for a crash. 3 r 4 T-shirts is better than any 1 best jumper you have. The more layers ya have on the better rather than just 2 warm jumpers,,,,,,,ya get me ! There are good rain jackets out there (not for the rain) but to brake the wind off your chest, they have no wips down the front and pull on over your head. There is also great thermel vests out there that are designed for bikers.

I usually have a polyamide/polyester thermal top, a cotton thermal top, a hoodie (no am not a chav/ned, they just keep heat in) and a proper biking jacket. I opt to put over a cheap and nasty green waterproof when it pours down. I know theres some talk about the ad-on shield that you can vary the wind sheer. Where could i acquire a good set of hand shields than dont break the bank?

Thanks for all your help so far

I usually have a polyamide/polyester thermal top, a cotton thermal top, a hoodie (no am not a chav/ned, they just keep heat in) and a proper biking jacket. I opt to put over a cheap and nasty green waterproof when it pours down. I know theres some talk about the ad-on shield that you can vary the wind sheer. Where could i acquire a good set of hand shields than dont break the bank?

Thanks for all your help so far

These are for your bike, no price, Irish company, youll prob get them in some UK site also.

ren_48ffa87e64301storm-guard-mk.jpgstorm-mount-2.jpg

Handguards are, or rather can be good, and they can be a nightmare....

I had huge ones on my Varadero and the wind whipped around the edges, so I was constantly getting a frozen little finger, I tried smaller ones and they worked much better.

What you are looking for is something to guide the wind just over the top and bottom of your glove for best results. There are lots of makes on the market from re-inforced guards for serious stuff (like falling off) and just some wind protection.

I've tried all kinds of deflectors, and the best I've found are the Acerbis ones. There are some for Streetbikes on eBay here -> Acerbis Hadnguards for £65.

Barkbusters are pretty good, you can get them at lots of places, try HERE.

An old biker (probably dead now) gave me a tip on winter gloves, always buy a size that is too big for you, so your hands can move about in them a bit and have 5-10mm of space at the end of the fingers. it allows the air to heat up in your glove and keeps you warmer. Personally I don't like the feeling of less control, but I tried it and it does work, my hands were warmer!

Handguards are, or rather can be good, and they can be a nightmare....

I had huge ones on my Varadero and the wind whipped around the edges, so I was constantly getting a frozen little finger, I tried smaller ones and they worked much better.

What you are looking for is something to guide the wind just over the top and bottom of your glove for best results. There are lots of makes on the market from re-inforced guards for serious stuff (like falling off) and just some wind protection.

I've tried all kinds of deflectors, and the best I've found are the Acerbis ones. There are some for Streetbikes on eBay here -> Acerbis Hadnguards for £65.

Barkbusters are pretty good, you can get them at lots of places, try HERE.

An old biker (probably dead now) gave me a tip on winter gloves, always buy a size that is too big for you, so your hands can move about in them a bit and have 5-10mm of space at the end of the fingers. it allows the air to heat up in your glove and keeps you warmer. Personally I don't like the feeling of less control, but I tried it and it does work, my hands were warmer!

I saw those Barkbusters, they are about 90 quid so i'll give those Acerbis Handguards a look. I've got a set of winter gloves, i think they might be too small if i were to go by your guide. I do use a set of inners for the gloves but they are crap. Its just my fingertips that get cold the most. Plus my toes haha. The toes i can get thicker socks for. Thanks for your help

Plus my toes haha. The toes i can get thicker socks for. Thanks for your help

Ah, toes,

I ride alot of off-tarmac, and up here it's realy wet. In fact you could probably describe them as wetroads rathet than green lanes at times. Anyway I bought a pair of SealSkiz to deal with the water (My Mx Boot aren't waterproof), now I tried these in the winter and they are the warmest sock I have ever had, expensive yes but they don't let in any air and have morino wool wich is like cotton but super efficient and warm.

They are well worth the investment.

Check the link, they do under gloves too, but I don't know if they are any good - > SealSkinz Socks

Ah, toes,

I ride alot of off-tarmac, and up here it's realy wet. In fact you could probably describe them as wetroads rathet than green lanes at times. Anyway I bought a pair of SealSkiz to deal with the water (My Mx Boot aren't waterproof), now I tried these in the winter and they are the warmest sock I have ever had, expensive yes but they don't let in any air and have morino wool wich is like cotton but super efficient and warm.

They are well worth the investment.

Check the link, they do under gloves too, but I don't know if they are any good - > SealSkinz Socks

i think i might invest in those SealSkinz Socks, see those Acerbis Handguards, where do they actually attach to, im having trouble imagining where they would connect to haha. Thanks

Acerbis Handguards, where do they actually attach to,

Don't know, I just found them on eBay. You could try sending a message to the seller ?

Normally they clamp onto the bars, same as the barkbusters but a less elaborate design.

Thin pair of socks, plastic carrier bags over them, they allow you to move your toes and cost nothing ;)

tight Scotchgit

from Scotchland

Ive been thinking about getting a better pair of inner gloves. I dont really want to part up for winter, i've only been riding since august. Its damn annoying this weather, i bought a scottoiler and cant fit it because i cant get good weather to do it haha. Anyone had any look at the heated gloves or inners? Are they just for people with too much money to waste?

Thanks for all your help, the list of clothing im needing to purchase is getting longer haha

Anyone had any look at the heated gloves

Exo2...... I have a pair here that I never use, I was given a set for a trip I done a couple of years ago that ventured through the Arctic. They we really good, they don't get hot like grips do, but keep your entire hand a degree or so above normal. The Exo2's are unique in that the fabric is the heating element so it's 100% coverage, rather than most which have heater wires running up and down the figers, back of hand etc.

EXO2 StormSheild

during my trip I managed to mangle the gloves in an over enthusiastic ride through northern Greece. When I returned the gloves were replaced for me (result!) but I've never found the need to wear them back in blighty. I realy should eBay them.

I decided to go for the Acerbis Handguards from Ebay. Did some research on them and it says it should fit no bother so heres hoping i dont need to take a trip down the local garage for spare parts. Thanks for your help guys, i'll let you know if there is a marked improvement in my commute to Edinburgh

• 2 years later...

Excuse me for picking up this old thread.

I suffer with impossibly cold finger tips.

Ive been wearing winter gloves, with various under gloves and also fitted Oxford Bone Dry Muffs.

Hated the muffs.

They collapse at speed and I found them a huge distraction to control usage etc.

They did however marginally improve my condition from painful numbness to just regular fekin' freezin'.

Bit late in the season now but next year Im going for heated gloves probably Gerbing's or the Alpinestars.

In fairness its not even been that cold this year (yet lol)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online