Changed transmission oil lastweek, it's now empty.. no leaks :S

smokinmonkey
This post is 4962 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

As title, plus the bike won't start.

Bike: 2006 DT125R SM

Well went to take it out this morning.. started and let it run while i ate my breakfast.. went out, stalled it.. then it wouldn't start again. Just keeps turning over, I turned the throttle a little.. nothing.

I only noticed the transmission oil as I was checking all the vitals on the bike.

Here's a photo incase I am wrong. But to my view there is no sign of oil in the window.

P1020836.jpg

I changed out the transmission oil last week, it was a grey colour... didn't look healthy. Plus I thought transmission oil didn't change colour like engine oil etc ??

I added the amount it tells you in the Honda book, 0.7 Litres I think it said.. Can't remember.

Might I add I know little to nothing about bikes. I read a few other threads and maybe the bike is flooding / spark plug and/or carb needs changed..

I might just take it to a mechanic, I don't know yet.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

In the Honda book?

I hope this is a typo!

In the Yamaha book it says 0.75 Litres at oil change, anyway did you check it in the window after the oil change. If I were you I would top it up until you see oil but you have to run and stop the engine and have the bike upright to check the oil window. It might be worth having a look in the radiator too, you said a grey colour...when the water pump seal good you get a milky colour. As for not starting I dunno, did it run out of fuel?

In the Honda book?

I hope this is a typo!

In the Yamaha book it says 0.75 Litres at oil change, anyway did you check it in the window after the oil change. If I were you I would top it up until you see oil but you have to run and stop the engine and have the bike upright to check the oil window. It might be worth having a look in the radiator too, you said a grey colour...when the water pump seal good you get a milky colour. As for not starting I dunno, did it run out of fuel?

Haha yeah ir's a typo.. I own a Honda car and go on Honda forums too.

Yeah oil was visable in the window after the change, I don't get it. So what am I checking the radiator for? You are saying the oil should change to a milky colour over time?

Haha yeah ir's a typo.. I own a Honda car and go on Honda forums too.

Yeah oil was visable in the window after the change, I don't get it. So what am I checking the radiator for? You are saying the oil should change to a milky colour over time?

No oil turns to a white milky sludge if it gets water in it, with the apt discription of monkey spunk in my neck of the woods. Anyway the oil having a grey colour may indicate moisture in the oil. Hense check the amount of water in the bike.

Its normall for bike gearbox oil to go black, its friction material from the clutch and perfectly ok.

Edit Added the mildly important defining part of the comment :rolleyes:

If you only checked the oil after the bike had been turned over you wont see much, if any oil in the window. Let it settle and check again. ;)

The monkey spunk wants looking into though.

Not enough oil in it. 1.3ltr after oil change.

Take out plug, turn over the engine a few times then leave for half hour, then plug back in,,,,,,try starting.

When started allow to warm up then shut off the engine, wait a few mins, then stand the bike up straight and check the oil window. SOMETIMES there is still very little oil in the window so lean the bike to the right for a min then back up straight. When oil now settels this is the true reading of what is in the bike.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online