My baby drag needs some TLC!

saska21
This post is 4955 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi

Brand new member of the forum, brand new biker and brand new owner of a baby drag - xvs 125.

She has some minor surface rust on some of the chrome parts and some of the chrome plastic parts have bubbled up, particularly the chain cover. I would like to give her a little beauty treatment but was hoping you could give me a recommendation on a good surface rust remover, chrome polish and if there is any way to get rid of those horrid bubbles (if there is a way).

I am sure I will be asking more questions in the days to come as she is coming home only on Saturday, so closer inspection is bound to reveal some other issues. A complete beginner here. :)

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

Brand new member of the forum, brand new biker and brand new owner of a baby drag - xvs 125.

She has some minor surface rust on some of the chrome parts and some of the chrome plastic parts have bubbled up, particularly the chain cover. I would like to give her a little beauty treatment but was hoping you could give me a recommendation on a good surface rust remover, chrome polish and if there is any way to get rid of those horrid bubbles (if there is a way).

I am sure I will be asking more questions in the days to come as she is coming home only on Saturday, so closer inspection is bound to reveal some other issues. A complete beginner here. :)

Thanks.

Hi there. What colour's the bike? I use Autosol chrome polish, dont use anything abrasive when polishing chrome. The only way to be rid of it is to have the parts re-chromed (expensive)but I guess most folks just manage the marking. If its cleaned and polished regularly, it shouldn't get any worse and will look better. As for the bubbling on the plasti-chrome, best thing is to keep your eyes open on Ebay for second hand covers in better nick.

Remember, take your time!

She is the wine/ cream combination colour.

Thanks for the tips, I have heard that Autosol is a bit too abrasive but I also heard good things about it, so I'll give it a go. It is not worth to re-chrome her (it's definitely a girl, haha), the rust is really not bad at all. She will be garaged during the winter, so I suppose that will help to keep her all pretty.

I will be on a lookout for the second hand covers as the current ones really spoil the look and I don't know what would work on it except sandpapering the bubbles down and respraying the plastic. I might give that a go as it can't get much worse than it already is.

Autosol abrasive??!!

Absolute bollocks, I'm afraid.

I use it myself, as do many others that I know.

Go for it!!

Pfffft. Garaged during winter. Pansy.

That was my welcome to the forum by the way :)

Right well I once had some REALLY tough stains on the front pipe and used a soft wire-brush drill bit to get it up. only REALLY lightly with A SOFT brush though, or you mess it up slightly... People are gonna hate me for that.. but it worked well and I swear by it. Like dogging - don't knock it till you've tried it! (that was a joke, by the way, i am NOT a dogging fanatic).

HOWEVER I AM a dragstar fanatic! And I use the oldest chrome polish in the world from the 1980's that I found in the back of my grans shed. I swear by it. Better than autosol or peek or anything else I've ever bought. I'll have a look at the brand and get back to ya.

As for the plasic parts - I use chrome polish on that too. I can't tell ya what to do about bubbling though :)

But hey, isn't it good to have a girl on the draggy side!!!

Take it easy.

Chris

Thanks for the tips, I have heard that Autosol is a bit too abrasive but I also heard good things about it, so I'll give it a go. It is not worth to re-chrome her (it's definitely a girl, haha), the rust is really not bad at all. She will be garaged during the winter, so I suppose that will help to keep her all pretty.

I will be on a lookout for the second hand covers as the current ones really spoil the look and I don't know what would work on it except sandpapering the bubbles down and respraying the plastic. I might give that a go as it can't get much worse than it already is.

Be aware that laying a bike up for winter can cause problems, restarting/battery/fuel/oil etc. In my view, its better to keep it in fairly regular use when the weather is kind enough in winter. If its dry, ride it. If its cool and bright (but not icy) wrap up well, there's some good winter kit available for trying to keep warm

hi and welcome! how bad is the bubbling on the chrome? and which bits are the worst? i might be able to help with the chrome bits! :D iv got some surplus parts in me shed including all the chrome panels/plastics that i need to sell to fund my bobber project.

as to storing it in the winter it could cause some problems when you finally come round to riding it, (if you dont do it properly)

but i ride all year through! rain, hail, fog, and snow! iv once ridden my drag in a massive snow storm on my way home from work, it was about 3 inch thick on the road and looked like really thick fog as it was coming down lol but the drag was quite good! all i had to do was turn the idle up, pop it on half choke and just drop the clutch in 1st gear. but she got me home in one piece! (even if i did look like a walking snowman) but yeah i was quite surprised how good the little drag is in the snow......but i hate ice. cant stand the stuff!

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling.

The only advice I can offer you is that

1. Damage to the plastic chrome is perminent, cannot be repaired and is I'm afraid scrap (or just use it as it is)

2. The proper chrome can be cleaned of rust marks using any chrome cleaner including Autosol chrome cleaner (dont use the cream in the toothpaste style tubes called autosol as this is very abrasive and is used for polishing alloys etc)

Polish the paintwork and chrome parts with a good quiality wax polish (I use Turtle wax in a tin or Autoglym)and this will keep the rust at bay but it will always try to return.

3. and this is the most important bit! Wash, dry and polish the bike EVERYTIME you return home.

Be lucky.

Thanks for all the tips and the welcome.

Chris - if you could get back to me with the make of the chrome polish, that would be great. My other half is a PT Cruiser fanatic and the club member, so a fair amount of chrome polishing going on there too (mainly the wheels) but he himself is still looking for THE polish.

As for riding it in winter, I don't feel hugely confident riding it in the summer! :D If it's nice, of course I'll take her out (I prefer winter to summer, so the cold won't bother me in the slightest). But snow and ice - NO WAY!!! I guess it's the same issue as with cars, if nothing else it will at least have to be started up every week or so.

Paul, I will get back to you about the parts - as she is only coming home tomorrow morning I will look at it closely and I'll post close up pics, so you can see if the parts you have for sale are in a better condition. The worst bit is definitely the chain and sprocket cover though.

Wine? White or red? Is that the same as this? I think its called candy officially. I reckon yours has the cream teardops on the tank, looks nicer than the deep purple on mine.

Wine? White or red? Is that the same as this? I think its called candy officially. I reckon yours has the cream teardops on the tank, looks nicer than the deep purple on mine.

That's the one, cream teradrops on the tank.

• 4 weeks later...

the plastic chrome?

i guess you mean the caseing either side of the engine you could rub it use 320 paper then 500 you could paint it with alloy wheel silver paint it wouldnt be shiney like chrome but it would look better

there is a breakers near me breaking a full xvs drag maybe you could replace the parts

Have heard good reports about this stuff, and as I'm a cazy lunt I dont have any chrome on my bike

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/belgom-alu-protect-polished-and-chrome-parts-/170550524493?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b59a7a4d