am i too tall for this?

martiniman
This post is 5029 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Any 6 footers ride a XV 533? I am worried i am a bit tall for one. I aint sat on one yet and am contemplating buyin my mates dads. (yes i could ask him if i can sit on it but he is not taxing it this year and he is storing it in his garage) dont want to be a pain as i will need to organise to get it out of storage for a test ride when i pass my das. bla bla bla. like i say just curious.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Any 6 footers ride a XV 533? I am worried i am a bit tall for one. I aint sat on one yet and am contemplating buyin my mates dads. (yes i could ask him if i can sit on it but he is not taxing it this year and he is storing it in his garage) dont want to be a pain as i will need to organise to get it out of storage for a test ride when i pass my das. bla bla bla. like i say just curious.

Well according to Google spec's it has a seat height of 26.6 inch's

Is that info any good for ya

Hi MartiniMan,

You'd really need to test ride and make sure that you'd be comfortable. They look reasonably low to me and your knees might be up around your ears. That would be annoying for me anyway once the novelty wore off and I'd regret it. Make sure you get something that suits you and that you'd be happy with in the long term.

Gordo (6'6 and a bit)

The seat height of a Cruiser is not an issue. It's about the distance from seat to foot and hand controls.

Personally, I would have said a 535 Viggie is too small for 6-footers and above. I'm 5' 11" and I find Viggies too small.

However, you can get extended foot controls fitted - My guitarist is 6' 8" and he did this, along with fitting straight handlebars and very tall handlebar risers. His only complaint was that the pegs deck out a bit earlier than the standard ones.

The seat height of a Cruiser is not an issue. It's about the distance from seat to foot and hand controls.

Personally, I would have said a 535 Viggie is too small for 6-footers and above. I'm 5' 11" and I find Viggies too small.

However, you can get extended foot controls fitted - My guitarist is 6' 8" and he did this, along with fitting straight handlebars and very tall handlebar risers. His only complaint was that the pegs deck out a bit earlier than the standard ones.

Yeah i figured about the foot controls i have a xvs 125 and my knee angle is just over right angle. Not the best for a cruiser seating position. Going off the idea of a 535 as a few people are saying that they are very popular with the ladies as they are a small cruiser. I think the xvs 650 would be a better option.

You're in exactly teh same situation as I was with the 125 Drag.

I also upgraded to a 650 and it's absolutely perfect!!

You're in exactly teh same situation as I was with the 125 Drag.

I also upgraded to a 650 and it's absolutely perfect!!

hi there nice to meet someone firstly with the same tast in bikes and who has had a 125 drag and had my dilemma. What do you think of the 650 in the way of power, i would say the 650 dragstar is a large cruiser, however most large cruisers have at least 800cc motors. Also this might sound like a daft question but can you drag the arse end of the bike round or is it to heavy? The reason i ask is i have a square stone outbuilding i am keeping my 125 drag in it fits diagonally but when i put it in i need to drag the back end round to close the door. The 650 is only a couple of cms longer then the 125 so length wont be an issue but i still need to be able to drag the arse round about say 12 inches.

In my (not so) humble opinion, heh heh: The 650 is more of a mid-level Cruiser and at the lower end of that band. The new 950 would be the top.

The 1100 Drag is just getting into the 'Big' bracket, with the new 1300 and 1900 Midnight Stars occupying the main place, shared with the 1600 Wildstar.

Power-wise, especially power-to-weight ratio, the 650 is actually slightly lower on the scale than the 535 Viggie.

What makes it seem like a bigger Cruiser is the fact that it looks and feels physically big. In fact it is - It's very long and low, although the rake angle of the bars lends it very good handling and a surprisingly quick turn-in on the corners. It actually has a smaller turning circle that many sports bikes - Particularly my mate's Honda VFR800!!

However, DO NOT think this makes the 650 a lightweight!!

The 40HP it has and the low end torque is more than enough to blast you off the line and beat most cars. 0-60 in about 6 seconds, with a top speed of around 92mph. I've topped out at 107 and that's a complete factory standard model.

2-up, with luggage, you do notice a bit of a struggle, but again it will happily top 85 on the motorway and tour all day. Your pillion will probably want a backrest for any trips much longer than an hour.

As for dragging (ha ha, Drag-ing, Drag-Star - see what I did there? :lol:), it depends on your set-up.

The 650 weighs 230kg as opposed to the (I think) 144kg of the 125cc Drag. It can be done, but you'd be far better placed to find a way of fitting it in normally.

I'd suggest maybe reversing it in and, carefully, leaning the bike over one way while turning the bars the other and kind-of putting it in purposely 'on the conk', so to speak. Does that make sense?

Or, a totally different option is to get a device that you whack under the wheel, which allows you to pivot the thing round. It's hard to describe, so I'll see if I can find you a link...

Yep, check out things like these:

Busters - Bike Movers

In my (not so) humble opinion, heh heh: The 650 is more of a mid-level Cruiser and at the lower end of that band. The new 950 would be the top.

The 1100 Drag is just getting into the 'Big' bracket, with the new 1300 and 1900 Midnight Stars occupying the main place, shared with the 1600 Wildstar.

Power-wise, especially power-to-weight ratio, the 650 is actually slightly lower on the scale than the 535 Viggie.

What makes it seem like a bigger Cruiser is the fact that it looks and feels physically big. In fact it is - It's very long and low, although the rake angle of the bars lends it very good handling and a surprisingly quick turn-in on the corners. It actually has a smaller turning circle that many sports bikes - Particularly my mate's Honda VFR800!!

However, DO NOT think this makes the 650 a lightweight!!

The 40HP it has and the low end torque is more than enough to blast you off the line and beat most cars. 0-60 in about 6 seconds, with a top speed of around 92mph. I've topped out at 107 and that's a complete factory standard model.

2-up, with luggage, you do notice a bit of a struggle, but again it will happily top 85 on the motorway and tour all day. Your pillion will probably want a backrest for any trips much longer than an hour.

As for dragging (ha ha, Drag-ing, Drag-Star - see what I did there? :lol:), it depends on your set-up.

The 650 weighs 230kg as opposed to the (I think) 144kg of the 125cc Drag. It can be done, but you'd be far better placed to find a way of fitting it in normally.

I'd suggest maybe reversing it in and, carefully, leaning the bike over one way while turning the bars the other and kind-of putting it in purposely 'on the conk', so to speak. Does that make sense?

Or, a totally different option is to get a device that you whack under the wheel, which allows you to pivot the thing round. It's hard to describe, so I'll see if I can find you a link...

Yep, check out things like these:

Busters - Bike Movers

Thanks for that mate can i just say tho when i said the 650 drag was a large cruiser i ment in size as apposed to a xv viggie. Honda do a similar size (physical size) about 750 think its called the shadow and think suzuki do one with the same size engine. You cleared up what i ment when you told me about the engine to weight ratio as thats what i really needed to know lol. Yeah that sounds a good idea just like a small trolley for the back wheel! good idea yeah i will look into that! cheers.

Thanks for that mate can i just say tho when i said the 650 drag was a large cruiser i ment in size as apposed to a xv viggie. Honda do a similar size (physical size) about 750 think its called the shadow and think suzuki do one with the same size engine. You cleared up what i ment when you told me about the engine to weight ratio as thats what i really needed to know lol. Yeah that sounds a good idea just like a small trolley for the back wheel! good idea yeah i will look into that! cheers.

found a few on here between £50 and £90 bloody good idea mate cheers! http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/products/list/Workshop/Bike-Movers

I once thought about lifting the rear end of my Dragstar, after all I used to do it with my YBR125 - but that's all I did :D because I then thought what may happen if the bike moved forward and closed the side stand.

Those wheels from Busters look good or I'm sure you could make something similar if cost is important.

Anyway as TM said it is a good bike with a choice of model - He has the wrong one :icon_cheesygrin:

I once thought about lifting the rear end of my Dragstar, after all I used to do it with my YBR125 - but that's all I did :D because I then thought what may happen if the bike moved forward and closed the side stand.

Those wheels from Busters look good or I'm sure you could make something similar if cost is important.

Anyway as TM said it is a good bike with a choice of model - He has the wrong one :icon_cheesygrin:

What about an XV 750? Shorter bike may fit in easier

Guess I look a bit big for this 650 at 6' 5" and 16 Stone but of all the seven bikes I've owned inc. Vmax and XS1100 this is the most comfortable of the lot ! Feel like I'm in it, part of me, rather than purched on top, and still enough poke to keep up with the pack even 2 up !

Click on link.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2027630/

Guess I look a bit big for this 650 at 6' 5" and 16 Stone but of all the seven bikes I've owned inc. Vmax and XS1100 this is the most comfortable of the lot ! Feel like I'm in it, part of me, rather than purched on top, and still enough poke to keep up with the pack even 2 up !

Click on link.

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/2027630/

yeah you look fine on it cheers for all your posts.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online