Why Do People Mod their Bikes?

JohnR6
This post is 7167 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I was just wonder, why do some people insist on modding there bikes (especially sports bikes)? It's not that they're not fast enough already! A stock 600 sports bike will do 0-60 in 3.5 sec! Isn't that good enough perfomance already? :?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

some people like fiddling with their bikes john. myself included, and when there's nowt wrong wi them you move onto doing little mods here and there to make it yours and personalised if ya know what i mean. some mods work, others dont. alot are just for looks. mods tend to compliment eachother too. so if you do one, you need another for it all to work well together. as pete says, they devalue the bike in alot of cases. you need to know what your doing and you need to remember that good old thing called taste 8)

Coz we can, and it's nice to have something different. When I go to box hill now I can actually find my bike, before it was a sea of blue R1's and I'd be like which one is mine?? :?

It's true it does devalue them and it makes insurance difficult and expensive but sometimes some things just have to be done!

1 Reason..........To make sure my bike @ least looks like Nobody elses 8)

I also like doing mods to enhance the FEEL of the bike....suspension tuning, tires, brakes, etc. :wink:

I was just wonder, why do some people insist on modding there bikes (especially sports bikes)?  It's not that they're not fast enough already!  A stock 600 sports bike will do 0-60 in 3.5 sec!  Isn't that good enough perfomance already?  :?

Yep... an straight-from-the-line 600 sportsbike is fast enaugh... just not fast enaugh under you! bikes are made to suit all possible customers. agreed... not every 400pound guy, but mostly for anyone. so youll have to tweak it to suit yourself. tires, suspension and even engine can be made better (relative) and more suitable for individual rider.

i have taken addvice from a friend of mine, whos favorite reply to everything is... "I´m not buying it if it doesnt affect my laptimes!!"

so there will not be anything shiny in my bike ever :D

Hey, we have thing called WINTER TIME and we can not ride at winter time. So we customize our rides. Also if you have fastest and most nice looking ride in your town you can be sure of getting some....  :wink:

:shock: I don't know what you mean! :lol:

I think XT Alan has a really good point when he says we mod our bikes to reflect our image. Many of my bikes have finished up in the sort of 60s cafe racer style that reflects my age (59).

Whilst I do like my bikes to be either 100% original, or sculpted to please me (no in-between) I will also make the point that I am a large and very heavily built man, and many of the mods I make, especially to handlebars and pedals, are purely a function of this.

Ultimately though, I think it all comes down to the fact our bikes are extensions of ourselves. Can you really think of any other machine with which we are so intimately involved?