Good garage, near Wilmslow?

This post is 5038 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all

Can anyone recommend a good garage around the Wilmslow area?

My DT125R won't start, my more knowledgable neighbour has eliminated the spark plug and seems to think the engine isn't being fed fuel properly. It's had a new carburettor prior to me purchasing and it was running well yesterday.

Cheers!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Since OG has gone offline i have to ask.

Is it the original peterol cap?

Could it be airlocked?

Vez.

Open the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl, let a cup full of fuel flow out,, if the flow starts to slow-down when the cup is almost full then you aren't getting fuel from the tank.

If so, start at the tank and clear any blockages all the way to the carb (including filters). If ya have a good flow to the float bowl then the prob is most likely dirty carb and jets.

Have fun......:D

Can anyone recommend a good garage around the Wilmslow area?

Cheers!

Certainly can. Fowlers of Bristol 154 miles.

and before you say it's not in the Wimslow area, I'm only jesting :lol:

I think its the original, has a similar but slightly larger key to the ignition key. It also feels like it is getting a good seal on the tank.

What i am getting at is, if the cap has been changed (which it has btw, as it should be the same key as the ignition) then there may not be any/enough air getting into the tank to allow the fuel to flow.

If the problem reappears then take the fuel cap off and put it back on again, if it cures the problem and the bike starts, you may have an air-locked tank.

I don't like to disagree with 2-wheels, but i don't think its the jets or carb, as they don't tend to clear themselves after being stood for a while, they normally get worse. But i may be wrong.

Vez.

What i am getting at is, if the cap has been changed (which it has btw, as it should be the same key as the ignition) then there may not be any/enough air getting into the tank to allow the fuel to flow. 

If the problem reappears then take the fuel cap off and put it back on again, if it cures the problem and the bike starts, you may have an air-locked tank.

I don't like to disagree with 2-wheels, but i don't think its the jets or carb, as they don't tend to clear themselves after being stood for a while, they normally get worse. But i may be wrong.

Vez.

I see what you're getting at, me being a numpty! I will check that tomorrow, if that fails I will start on the Haynes manual instructions.

It's stopped again now, let it run earlier for a good 30 minutes to try and clear it out but came back to it this evening and it won't turn over again. (restarts great when warm if that's relevant to anything?)

It was such a bargain that I'm not bothered about doing a bit of work on it. Thankfully it passed it's MOT last week and when it does turn over its running really well.

my neighbour suspects it's a fuel issue as he said the spark plug should of been covered in petrol and some on the floor the amount of times we tried to get it to run.

Prior to having it MOT'd it had been sat since 2004. They replaced the carb, chain and sprockets and it was running fine for about 2 days.

Cheers for all the help, bit nervous about attempting anything to technical so I'll see how far I get in the manual tomorrow!

For those interested, I have checked the air filter and this looks fine and also eliminated fuel flow from the tank as I drained a cup of fuel and the flow was good, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the fuel cap either.

Before I bought it I know it was left out one evening in the rain before I collected so could it be a moisture issue? It has started a couple of times and there is a good spark from the plug.

Not really sure what to do next as the Haynes manual is going into more complex areas like float valve needles and jets!

For those interested, I have checked the air filter and this looks fine and also eliminated fuel flow from the tank as I drained a cup of fuel and the flow was good, there doesn't seem to be an issue with the fuel cap either.

Before I bought it I know it was left out one evening in the rain before I collected so could it be a moisture issue? It has started a couple of times and there is a good spark from the plug.

Not really sure what to do next as the Haynes manual is going into more complex areas like float valve needles and jets!

It may have moisture in there, if you are concerned it has then drain the old fuel out and replace with fresh.

I get the feeling you don't quite understand what I'm saying with the fuel cap, there needs to be a breather hole/space/pipe on fuel tanks to allow air into the tank, which in turn allows fuel to flow out the bottom. If it hasn't got a large enough breather then the fuel will be unable to flow out fast enough at high revs, and will eventually stop the fuel flowing all together until the pressure has had chance to go away, and will then allow the bike to run again. What i was suggesting was, next time the bike stops running and won't start, remove the cap ( allowing the pressure to go and the fuel to flow) and then try and start the bike.

If the above doesn't apply and you are thinking about stripping the carb there is a thread with pictures explaining how to do it here > http://www.yamahaclu..._0 <

HTH

Vez.

It may have moisture in there, if you are concerned it has then drain the old fuel out and replace with fresh.

I get the feeling you don't quite understand what I'm saying with the fuel cap, there needs to be a breather hole/space/pipe on fuel tanks to allow air into the tank, which in turn allows fuel to flow out the bottom. If it hasn't got a large enough breather then the fuel will be unable to flow out fast enough at high revs, and will eventually stop the fuel flowing all together until the pressure has had chance to go away, and will then allow the bike to run again. What i was suggesting was, next time the bike stops running and won't start, remove the cap ( allowing the pressure to go and the fuel to flow) and then try and start the bike. 

If the above doesn't apply and you are thinking about stripping the carb there is a thread with pictures explaining how to do it here >  http://www.yamahaclu..._0  <

HTH 

Vez.

No I got that, made sense when I gave it thought, physics and all, a blockage would essentially hold the fuel in the tank and stop it flowing ;)

I think my neighbour has sorted it now, there's a screw on the side of the carb an air inlet or similar that was fully closed, apparently it should of been a turn and a half open? Anyway started first time after this. If it starts fine tomorrow then I'm happy we've found the fault!

Thanks for all your help, it's brilliant fun, learning how to do new things all the time!

:o O such an easy fix,

yep I second OG, 1 + 1/2 turns out.

No I got that, made sense when I gave it thought, physics and all, a blockage would essentially hold the fuel in the tank and stop it flowing ;)

I think my neighbour has sorted it now, there's a screw on the side of the carb an air inlet or similar that was fully closed, apparently it should of been a turn and a half open? Anyway started first time after this. If it starts fine tomorrow then I'm happy we've found the fault!

Thanks for all your help, it's brilliant fun, learning how to do new things all the time!

Good to hear your enjoying it CT B)