Recomend me some tyres for DTR 125

This post is 4965 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My MOT is due and its booked in for wednesday and im worried the tyres wont pass and tbh they are rubbish anyway (cheng shin ditchfinders !) so im after a good set.

I very rarely go off road much so looking for somthing with more grip on the black stuff but cant seem to find much info ? also the sizes dont seem to add up when looking on tyre sites the sizes on the tyres say 4.00 x 18 rear and 2.75 x 21 front .

So what do you use ?

Cheers, James.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

If you want occsional off road then got with Conti escapes, Avon distanzias or bridgestone trailwings, pure road see if you can get bridgestone bt45,s in your sizes

110/90/18 should go for the rear although 400/18 is available for distanziasas is 300/21 but if that is too wide then 80/90/21 is narrower

distanzia sizes

If you want occsional off road then got with Conti escapes, Avon distanzias or bridgestone trailwings, pure road see if you can get bridgestone bt45,s in your sizes

110/90/18 should go for the rear although 400/18 is available for distanziasas is 300/21 but if that is too wide then 80/90/21 is narrower

distanzia sizes

Thanks they`re exactly the style im after just need to find somewhere that stocks these and the prices

Thanks they`re exactly the style im after just need to find somewhere that stocks these and the prices

you will have no trouble finding these, I found them at busters but there are other places too

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?mode=b&manu=Avon&tier1=Tyres&images=on&tier2=Road+tyres&tier3=Avon&searchtype=keywords&tier4=AM43+AM44+Distanzia

I have to ask, why do you own a DTR if you only ride on the road?  :shrug:

Vez.

I do go off road every now and again just hard to find the time really, plus i just like this style of bike rarther than a TZR style.

Im hoping to do the full bike test in the next few months and ill no doubt get somthing similar, iv been looking at at KTM 520 but iv heard they are expensive to maintain ?

I do go off road every now and again just hard to find the time really, plus i just like this style of bike rarther than a TZR style.

Im hoping to do the full bike test in the next few months and ill no doubt get somthing similar, iv been looking at at KTM 520 but iv heard they are expensive to maintain ?

Well, tell us

How are them new tyres doing. What they like on the road.

Well, tell us

How are them new tyres doing. What they like on the road.

They are excelent totaly transformed the bike, before i had lost all confidence in it after a few scary moments as the rear tyre was awfull.

these have so much more grip and it corners like a dream now. not been off road yet but im heading to the quarry and slagg heaps at the weekend so i will let u know.

• 2 months later...

Did you fit the tyres with tubes, if so what pressure have you used, if not do you lose much pressure?

Dtr should have tubes, if ya have spoked wheels then ya need tubes.Dont forget the rim tape or the spokes will puncture the tube.

18psi front tyre and 22psi rear tyre for solo riding. Ya might have to go up a bit more pressure to get the tyre seating propperly but then let them down to the correct psi.

They are excelent totaly transformed the bike, before i had lost all confidence in it after a few scary moments as the rear tyre was awfull.

these have so much more grip and it corners like a dream now. not been off road yet but im heading to the quarry and slagg heaps at the weekend so i will let u know.

Do we take this last post as a sign as to how the tires handled off road :ambulance:

• 2 weeks later...

Do we take this last post as a sign as to how the tires handled off road :ambulance:

Ha ha no mate not at all, the tires have been the least of my troubles with it lately !!

Had a run of bad luck 1, got puncture while out but luckily was outside a Kawasaki garage who kindly charged me £56 to fit an inner tube !!! then they have taken the wheel weights off the rear wheel so i got a nasty wobbble on between 50 - 60 mph.

2, on my way back to the garage to tell them about it i traveled 2 miles down a duel carrigeway at 50mph when at the end the piston decided to try put itself through the exhaust port !!! so after a long 4 mile push home and strip down i needed a rebore + 1mm new piston, rings, little end, gaskets, circlips, gudgeon pin ect ect. £100 all in tho which i recon is pretty good apart from the labour as iv done that myself.

3, 2 days after while trying to be carefull running in the new bore the head nut nearest the thermostat decides to strip itself and send boiling coolant straight into my leg leaving me once again a nice push home and a bill for yet another head gasket plus 5 head bolts which i pick up tomorrow !!!

So it still needs the wheel sorting out and no idea what caused the piston to hit the exhaust port/powervalve ?

The tires tho lol are great and pretty good on the surfaces iv been on inc road, gravel and slag (coal pit waste) not sure about wet mud or grass yet ?

Rant over, cheers james.

Odd another one, how many is that now must be 4 or 5 bikes on here that have had piston/pv contact. Couple of TDR's on the TDR owners site have done it too.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online