Complete Newbie - XVS 125 question

christofeser
This post is 5101 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

I'm completely new to the forum so HI!

I'm also completely new to motorcycles, so hi again!

It's also my first ever vehicle, which I'm really excited about.

Anyway I'll stop rambling and explain. Yesterday I bought a Yamaha XVS125 Dragstar (2002) from ebay. I got it at around £1,000 in the end - which I didn't think was too bad. When looking at it though, he did detail some minor problems which I "could resolve with ease" - probably - if I knew a little bit about Yamaha's, let alone bikes!

So there are two main problems, which are only minor.

Firstly, the battery casing on the right hand side (the side with the lock), is actually missing the lock and therefore is not secure underneath the saddle. Does anyone know where I can get this lock from, and how easy it is to install??

Secondly, the exhaust. There is a main exhaust pipe coming from the engine (the upper one) and a chrome cover over the top of the pipe, usually attached with one of those round clips (sometimes found in plumbing). Problem is, the round clip has snapped due to rust on it. Will I have to buy a new one and weld it onto the inside of the chrome? Or is there an easier way of doing this?

Any help is appreciated. I'm only a novice and rather un-savvy when it comes to motorbike. I really want to learn a little - which is why I'm here :)

Cheers

Chris

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Welcome to biking and to the forum Chris. :D

Not familiar with the baby drag so I will generalise a little.

I suggest you buy a stainless steel hose (jubilee) clip of the correct size, then take the guard and the clip to a professional welding place such as a sheet metal fabricators or something but be sure you get it 'Tacked' on at the correct place, correct angle and in such a way that you can access the head with a 7mm socket or a screwdriver. Cant help with the lock but you could order one from Fowlers of Bristol I suppose.

,,,Paul

Ah thank you! That's the name of the clip, haha!

Okay, I think I'll do that.

I know someone who built a trike who's pretty competent with welding, so he know's a bit about both welding, and bikes! I might see what he can do.

The pipe underneath the casing seems incredibly dirty? Is that a problem? Should I clean that (despite it not being on show) or just leave it be?

Cheers

Chris

I dont know chris maybe the pipe is stainless steel, maybe its ferrous chrome plated. Like I say I am not that familiar so cant advise. we have a few members who will no doubt have something to add here, Ttaskmaster and oldtimer to name just two. ;)

Failte; to the YOC cool.gif Christofeser

and of course to bikeing----- youll be glad ya started !!!

Wow,

Thanks for the diagram! This is why I bought a yamaha rather than an cheaper imports - I knew I would get the support from somewhere!

Anyway, It seems like it's the chrome that covers the pipe yeah... it seems it was previously attached with a jubilee clip and there's no evidence of anything else ever being there.

When I work out how to upload pics I'm sure I can show you...

cheers again!

being at the front of the bike it gets all the crap and wet weather thrown at it so it can snap and fail. is the exhaust still connected and solid?

if it had not been dark i would have gone outside and took a picture of mine to get a better idea of a solution will have a look tomorrow.

theres a link on here for the workshop manual will have a look and post the link tomorrow.

Right so I've worked out how to get pictures :)

The exhaust pipe, yeah it's still strong and attached - it's just the chrome cover for it... which goes over the top of it...

Here's some pics to help out:

1. Just to show that it is the top pipe concerned:

P1000897.jpg

2. Show's the concerned pipe's chrome covering closer up

P1000898.jpg

3. After easily "slipping off" the chrome cover (as stated - previously attached by jubilee clip) I am left with the underneath exhaust pipe which is attached firmly at both ends.

P1000899.jpg

Lastly - a semi-related question. At the end of the exhaust pipe - what's the big bit it goes into called? I'm rather embarrassed at my lack of motorbike knowledge/terminology - but I figure it's better to ask and find out then mess something up!

Cheers

Lastly - a semi-related question. At the end of the exhaust pipe - what's the big bit it goes into called? I'm rather embarrassed at my lack of motorbike knowledge/terminology - but I figure it's better to ask and find out then mess something up!

Cheers

Thats the engine ;)

Oh you mean the other end

Thats the silencer muffler :D

At a guess.

hahahaha

Yes I did mean the other end! I'm not THHHHHHHAAAAT silly.

I think tomorrow I'm going to give everything a good old clean-up. Looks a bit grubby huh? It's a really nice bike - loads of people have already complimented me on it. Nonetheless, my friends mum turned up on her Harley Sportster today. She claimed to be "just passing by", but we both knew she was there to show off her 1200cc's against my (10th of the size) 125cc's! grrrrr.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it, especially for £1,000. Just needs a scrub up and some minor work. Ride's nicely still :)

Chris

had a look this morning chris at what you are talking about its the exhaust pipe cover which is held in place by two m6 bolts so what oldgit suggested with a jubilee clip should work, having now seen your photos and looking at mine i realise i was wrong i thought you were talking about the exhaust but its the chrome heat shield that goes over the exhaust pipe leading to the muffler. :o

looks like your going to be busy with the amount of rust showing on picture three, the foot pegs and on the frame under the seat need sorting good luck.

Yeah, thanks, great advice!

I guess I'm going to have to get working on it - I knew it wasn't mint, but I kinda needed a project for the coming summer anyway.

Anyone got any tips on how to get rust cleaned up? Or should I just search the forum and stop being lazy? :P

Cheers,

Chris

Locks you can sometimes find cheap(er) on eBay and so on.

Plenty of parts shops can get them for you.

Might even find one at a breaker's yard or through Part Finder.

Okay thanks.

Any recommended on-line part-finders?

Chris

for all your day to day stuff you cant do better than this place.

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/XVS_125_Dragstar/00-04/

for something like your lock as taskmaster suggests try e bay or look for a breakers who is breaking a 125 dragstar,but as the lock incorporates the catch to keep the casing on try finding out of a yamaha dealer what one costs and if its not to dear maybe buy it or if its silly money keep your eye on e bay.

Any recommended on-line part-finders?

Well, yeah - Funnily enough....

www.partfinderuk.co.uk

www.partsfinder.co.uk

www.partfinderukltd.com

www.bike-breakers.info

Google is your friend.

if your looking for a good cheep fix for the chrome cover you wont be able to weld a jubilee clip on there as it is way too thin (and will just melt) iv had to do this on mine and i used a metal clip i cant think what its called but its horse-shoe shaped with a bolt that goes through both ends at the top its quite thick and dus the job lovely!. i welded it where the original clip was (closest to the engine) and you had to bend it open to put it on then bend it closed so you could put the bolt in but it held it in place lovely!

saves you buying a new guard which would cost you 10 times as much!

Yeah, thanks, great advice!

I guess I'm going to have to get working on it - I knew it wasn't mint, but I kinda needed a project for the coming summer anyway.

Anyone got any tips on how to get rust cleaned up? Or should I just search the forum and stop being lazy? :P

Cheers,

Chris

depends where the rust is (frame or chrome) if its on somewhere that you dont mind painting then best bet is to get a wire brush attachment on a power drill to get it off then put a couple of layers of hammerite smooth black to paint the metal. if its chrome then use a washing up sponge (the green rough side) and scrub autosol on it till the rust has faded or gone.

just a question was the bike droped on the right hand side and did you get some parts for it a couple of month back? i.e exhaust, air filter and rear pegs?

Okay thanks.

I bought a jubilee clip today, I'm going to try some Araldite to get it on the inside of the cover. It's heat resistant and I think enough to hold it. If that doesn't work, I'll try find a horse-shoe style like you described.

Like I said I only bought it the other day and, by the looks of it, it has been dropped on the right side and scratched into the chrome muffler a little - got a tad of rust around it... only a light brown-ish colour. Any tips on improving these aesthetics? Covering up the rust and scratches.

I think on the exhaust pipe which is really black I might go with the wire-brush & drill combo with some Hammerite, and get a sponge and some elbow-grease on the chrome covers. It's a similar story on other black surfaces - you can tell it's come from someone who hasn't cleaned it every day as if it was his baby (as it is my first vehicle - it's very much the case with me - I cherish it!)

So yeah, I'll keep you informed how it goes - I'll take the opportunity now to thank EVERYONE that's taken their time to help me out. Cheers guys/girls.

Chris

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online