XVS125 dragstar SOS

Jim659
This post is 3976 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Now then people could do with some help. ive run into a major prob with my dragstar, shes 9 year old and this me first major prob. i recently changed my battery which was fully charged before i put it on. went to start the bike and there was a complete loss of power. It sounds like the battery is flat so re charged it, same problem so put the original battery back on thinking new 1 is faulty, same problem again. My lights horn indicaters work like a charm the bike just wont turn over. ive done basis looked, cleaned spark plugs ht leads, drained tank put fresh fuel in still nothing so im at a complete loss any help any 1 can give me would be greatly accepted :unsure:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You checked the cut-out switch?

now then yeah checked its on run so engine should start. Sorry just realised wot i wrote the bike will turn over but it sounds like the battery is flat. im not a mechanic so my knowledge is limited. im starting to think it could be a earth fault somewere.

Was the bike laid up for a while

It could be a lazy starter --- as they say.

First try half drowning it in WD40,(by which i mean spraying it), then keep spining it with the start button in the hopes that it gets faster, be sure to let it rest a bit while spinning so you dont burn it out...... spin for 5 seconds then stop then spin again for another 5. Do this a few times but not for too long. This would be better done with the starter off but try it first as it is.

Before you try any of this make sure all the + and - conections everywhere on the bike are all making a good contact.

Hope this helps ya....

So answer this, is there any attempt at all, even just a click?

If the answer is no then it sounds like an interlock is in play. i dont know about the interlock on a baby drag but they usually go something like

Ignition switch on

Run switch on

Neutral light on

Clutch lever pulled

Side stand up

for example

...having said that i expect i'm telling you how to suck eggs if you have owned the bike 9 yrs

Now then cheers for all your help taskmaster, 2wheels, oldgitonabike its greatly apreciated, er i took starter off yesterday it workin fine so put it back on, the bike hasn't been on road for the past year but have mainted and serviced it while its been off. was workin brill till i taxed and insured it. went to go out on it and now it wont start lol sods law or wot.

go to start it and basically you imagine ur batt is flat so it stuggles to turn over thats wot im stuck with at mo lights horn all electrics work, batt is workin an not damaged. hope this helps explain bit better wots happening thanx again for the help

If the starter motor is turning over, then it's something else.

If the battery was that flat then it wouldn't turn over.

You definitely getting fuel?

Have you primed the fuel?

Are the plugs OK?

If the starter motor is turning over, then it's something else.

If the battery was that flat then it wouldn't turn over.

You definitely getting fuel?

Have you primed the fuel?

Are the plugs OK?

Have you tried bump starting the bike? If it starts and runs, that may isolate any mechanical problems from electrical problems. Is it the same result when you start in neutral, and in gear with the clutch in?

Try searching for the XVS 125 service manual, I think theres a link somewhere on this site. If no luck let me have your email address and i'll forward it on to you. Last section gives fault finding for ignition system etc.

Sounds batteryish/connections to me

Now it sounds like there is something putting extra pressure on the engine and not letting it turn over fast-enough.

Could be something like clutch drag,

Half stuck plates,

or just lack of use after a year of being off the road.

If you could bump-start it and get out for a good old spin arround it might get things freed-up a bit.

Bikes dont like not being used !

now then im defo gettin fuel, an that me plugs are ok checked to make sure both are sparking.

I aint tried bumping it off yet been watching me kids while tinkering wen they napping lol. i got the service manual ive also got copy of haynes dragstar it not for 125 tho it 650 upwards.

will look into the clutch drag probs, be glad wen it runs, dying to get out for a ride its killing me seein other riders out lol

Thanx again everyone

• 3 years later...

I know this a really old post but I had a very similar problem. It turned out that my Regulator Rectifier was capoot and I picked one up for £25 at my local bike grave yard. Make sure you write diwn the colours of the wires so you dont get the wrong one. Failing that you can find em all over ebay for a similar price

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online