Where has England gone......

Cynic
This post is 5207 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Political Correctness?

You mean, "Spastic Gay talk"? :D

I don't care what the correct term is and a growing number of people feel the same way. I probably feel stronger than most because my family history is one awesome long line of Angeln, right the way back to the town they originally settled in, which still bears the same Anglo-Saxon name (also my surname) today. We're English. Come and have a go... :D

The biggest issue is that more people would recognise their Englishness, if only they knew what being English meant in a modern context. You can define any other nation by their icons - Characteristics, cooking, reputation, fashions, business and products, film styles, legends... we have a language that's been adopted and bastardised world-wide and that's about it. The rest is some leftover from foreign rule.

Even the flag of St. George commemorates a Turkish knight.

Its just not "cool" to be English. Lets not forget that the English are the biggest Warmongers in history. Its not that "cool" to be American or German either, is it?

Are we, now?

It's true that the English love a fight. They were reknowned for it. But they kept to themselves for the most part. When they came to the British Isles, they were employed by Vortigern to protect the Roman Empire's citizens while the Romans themselves returned to bolster their falling empire. Once they'd done that, the Anglo-Saxons came to collect their payment off Vortigern, but were basically told, "Sorry - Empire collapsed, no money left".

As compensation, the AS people relocated to what became England.

There is no evidence of invasion either, as mis-told by schoolboy history. They travelled in parties of 3 boats, with about 40 to a boat. Can you really conquer a country 120 people at a time? Also, AS language, customs, currency, systems and culture spread across the Britons way faster than any army could manage, strongly suggesting peaceful migration.

From there, it was mostly setting up kingdoms and doing their own thing, until the Vikings and the Normans came to have a go.

It's a little acknowledged perspective that the English have been slaves to foreign power since 1066. A lot of the sins committed by "the English" and later the British Empire were at the behest of foreign rulers and have now been laid on the heads of the English, forcing shame to discourage national pride.

The choice was basically - Invade Scotland or be put to death. Invade India or be put to death. People were press-ganged into the military.

This is not a rant about foreigners, either - The English do have a reputation for being xenophobic.

Not the 'phobia' part - Fear. That's because every time we met a foreign power, they tried to invade us!! :lol:

Scots, Picts, Danes, Normans... We just wanted to be left alone to get on with our island :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Speaking of warmongers.....

My OH is directly related to Joseph Nadin (still has that surname!)- nasty piece of work he was.... google him....

I can't really add to this, bieng of ancient Norse descent.

Although the family name goes back a long long way, traced back to Ireland then back again to Yorkshire - so propper English, the other side (my biologicaly stronger side) were from Scandinavia and in more recent events, were well known Rievers, and bad ass reivers at that....

So where is England, I just looked out of the window, and yes,,,, it's still there.

It's kinda funny though, if you walk into the middle of Newcastle and ask a local what are they , they will answer "Geordie", in Leeds you'll ge "Yorkshireman" ask anyone in Scotland and you'll get "Scottish" or maybe "scotts", Wales is the same (not being a real country, but a principality), but here in England people generally have a different view of thier belonging, it beng much more to do with the local area than that of a greater collective.

And another thing, why oh why do most people attribute the Union Flag with an English thing ?? WFT is going on there, do these people know nothing ??

And why the Fu*k do people insist on calling it the Union Jack.......

And another thing, about 1 in 5 Union Flags I see are bloody well upside down, one of those was on a government desk !, Don't they know it's a sodding distress signal!

I always makes me laugh when you see an Ulsterman or Scottsman on the TV slagging off the British.........

I love stupid people, but they are way too powerfull in large groups....

I`ll put me hands up...... i`m an Englishman First, then i`m a Brit and i`m proud of both!!!

and i will continue to celibrate St George`s day.

if i`m in the pub on St Andrew`s or St David`s day i dont mind raising a glass or two :)

ME TOO. I HAVE GREAT HONOUR OF BEING SCOTTISH AND BRITISH, AND IM EXTREMELY PROUD TO BE SO.

GSTQ...

Aye well " Taskmaster summed it up , To be true thier is little English, scots, or welsh Blood left in us all,

By the time the romans, vikings, saxons, and may i say the irish, have shagged thier way thru this small island , i doubt there could be any one left in the country claim to be pure

English, or scots [especialy] they were picts originally, influxed by the irish whitch turned them into scots,

And the way the imigrants are making head-ways into what little drop of diluted english blood is left , will be a race no more, like americans" 57 veriety"s

So lets not bicker about the atrosities of leaders in the past, each and every one had greed to rule one another, I love the english countryside and the good people there. [traffic is horrendous] Its the bad in every country that drag up the past. and terrorize the now peacefull world, bury the hatchet, its the only way forwardwink.gif

Fk me , summer near yet, till i get oot and stop blethering,cool.gif