Rounded off allen bolt?

TTHJames
This post is 5401 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, the 2 allen bolts that attach the exhaust to the engine are in very bad condition and have rounded off slightly so that an allen key won't grip. There's not enough room to get a bolt remover drill bit in there because the pipe is in the way. I've tried mole grips which only just fit on the bolt and slip even if they are on as tight as I can get them.

There's not enough room to get an angle grinder in there to cut a slot in the head, also the dremel won't fit to do the same thing because of the angle, although I could get a milling bit in but obviously cutting a slot that way is going to be very difficult indeed. I thought about welding a bar on to the bolt and getting it out that way but I don't have a welder and it would be a few days before I can borrow one.

I really, really don't want to drill out the bolts but I think that's the only way I'm going to be able to do it unless I wait a few days for the welder.

Has anybody got any ideas?

Cheer, James.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i would go with welding a nut onto the head of it, the heat will help loosen it aswell.

if you start cutting at at it, it may give you more hassle by having to drill it later.

if you cant get a dremmell into it how are you going to drill it out if it breaks?

good luck ;)

rost off or acf-50.

spray on every day for a few days - by which point you'll have the welder.

My neighbour had the same problem a few months back on his gsx600 and found that using a blowlamp to heat the bolt and tapping an old socket onto the round part of the allen bolt then useng a rachet and just keep turning the socket to and fro it eventually came undone. Remember to put new bolts in and put some copaslip on the threads to prevent it happening again. Hope this helps .Tony.

if you cant get a dremmell into it how are you going to drill it out if it breaks?

I can get a dremel in but not side on, but I'd use the drill with a long drill bit if I had to drill it out.

I think I'm just going to wait a few days for the welder.

Cheers for the replies.

I can get a dremel in but not side on, but I'd use the drill with a long drill bit if I had to drill it out.

I think I'm just going to wait a few days for the welder.

Cheers for the replies.

It might be wise to disconnect and remove the CDI before welding... ;)

the things you can do with a dremmel, hours of mindless endless fun for (the black-sheep) all the family

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eqoz-6xLY9c

:mellow: ouch!

I had similar on an oil pump.

Heat it a few times. WD40 it a lot. Cut a slot in one side of the head or nick the head enough so a flat screwdriver can sit in the nick and then hit the driver to push the bolt anticlockwise. Repeat the process. Picture 1 shows the oil pump drive and the holes for the new screws. Picture 2 shows the bolts above the removed oilpump. Picture 3 shows new Allen bolts installed.

oil1.jpg

oil2.jpg

oilpipe2.jpg

being a mechanical technician I come across this problem alot. One trick that always works for me is to find a decent quality stubby star bit that fits into a socket so you can use a ratchet. Find a star bit that is very slightly larger than the allen and drive it in with a hammer. The teeth on the star will cut themselves some grip and with gentle but firm pressure, the allen bolt will come out. Secondly, a trick with hex heads is if possible, heat the head until it is cherry red, then let it cool naturally, it will then sail out. Its OK spraying it with WD or whatever, but it takes a long time for the oil to penetrate, if at all, and applying heat and WD wont do alot other than make lots of nice smoke and smells !

You can drill bolts easily if you use a cobolt drill. Most bolts are only 8.8 and not the HT 9.6 or 10.2's unless it is engine mounts, engine internals, brake mountings or other stress areas. Even HT Bolts can be drilled if done correctly with the correct speed and pressure, but dont use an old drill bit as a blunt bit will just wear into the bolt and cause unnesessary heat.

Another method is to put a good centre pop in the centre of the bolt head or inside the allen head. The focussed energy of the centre punch can sometimes loosen the bolt concerned. If this fails, at least you have a centre pop ready to drill and easy out.

Hope this helps

being a mechanical technician I come across this problem alot. One trick that always works for me is to find a decent quality stubby star bit that fits into a socket so you can use a ratchet. Find a star bit that is very slightly larger than the allen and drive it in with a hammer. The teeth on the star will cut themselves some grip and with gentle but firm pressure, the allen bolt will come out.

Hope this helps

What is a stubby star bit?

I've heard of heating the head to cherry red, but then cooling it with water straight away rather than letting it cool naturally?

What is a stubby star bit?

I've heard of heating the head to cherry red, but then cooling it with water straight away rather than letting it cool naturally?

Here you go - star bits:

starbits.jpg

If you cool the bolt immediately after heating, you can run the risk of making it brittle, making it easier to snap, which creates another slight headache. If you heat and then allow to cool slowly, you are effectively Annealing the bolt, or tempering it, making it slightly tougher.

• 3 weeks later...

Steel allen headed bolt into alloy. You get galvanic (?) corrosion, and they stick like crazy - you WILL ruin the bolt head. I generally take a hex bit, put it in the bolt head, and hit it a couple of times with a big hammer. This cracks the corrosion that will be preventing the bolt from turning. Bolt then comes out easily, I have found.

HTH,

Nigel

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online