Let me down :(

wild foamy
This post is 5487 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

well, today it happened.

for the first time in about 6 months my trusty thrusty little DT let me down :(.

after weeks of sunny weather the heavens decided to open and it has p*ssed it down almost non-stop all day, and whilst i was at school the DT was left outside in the elements for six hours, so i come out and jumped straight on it, started 2nd kick with the choke on and ldled nicely, but as i get to the end of the street it started four-stroking and wouldn't rev above 2-3k, i thought nothing of it at the time because the bike was still cold.

i manage to get it out on the main road and keep up with the flow of traffic by "adjusting" the fuel tap to get it running a bit better, but eventually i decided it'd be best to pull over (in the pissing rain) and let it idle for a while to see if it would clear itself out, but again the same problems arose, i toggled the choke numerous times to see if it had stuck on but alas nothing seemed to cure it,

so in my desperation i pulled off the chrome pod filter and it instantly ran better, i managed to get it home (about 1.5 -2 miles) with the filter in my pocket, and upon closer inspection im surprised at how much sh*te has collected in it, i've now left it to soak in some petrol so hopefully tomorrow i can have it dried out and good as new again.

even after this minor set-back im surprised at how reliable my DT is, now that i've stopped f*cking it about trying to make it "better" it has been absolutely faultless.

i think im going to be keeping it next year :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

now that i've stopped f*cking it about trying to make it "better" it has been absolutely faultless.

That's usually the case.

"built by a craftman - ridden by a twat"

If Yamaha have spent millions on R&D - why do I think I can make it better?

That's usually the case.

"built by a craftman - ridden by a twat"

????

If Yamaha have spent millions on R&D - why do I think I can make it better?

Because Yamaha only had to make a bike that would do 30mph tops, thats just not fast enough for a young lad with blood in his veins... ;)

my 125 does that to me in the wet, any ideas what it is? its not the air filter thats clean see.

check HT lead and all cables gonig to the coil, sometimes if it gets wet enough it can short the ignition straight to the head

????
I've done it myself, and heard MANY stories of people trying to make their bike run better, only to make it worse - or even unridable...

The "built by a craftman - ridden by a twat" is from a t-shirt I saw at a bike show - it sums up a fair few bike riders I know (no insult intended foamy!)

I've never had to worry about getting past 30mph, but I still find myself "tinkering" with a bike that is running perfectly well - even when, on one occation it cost me... well I could never bring myself to add up the total costs but it involved 3 months off the road for that bike and me having to buy another bike so I could get to work... (bad times)

The moral of the story (for me at least) is - if you want a better bike - you have to start by buying a better bike...

check HT lead and all cables gonig to the coil, sometimes if it gets wet enough it can short the ignition straight to the head

okay thanks man, i thought it would be something like that, i have waterproofed the air box on my bike see and no mud can get in as i haver put a tight over the vent (100% breathable and waterproof i think) how would i waterproof the wires going to the coil and where could i get hold of a waterproof HT leat

The HT lead should be waterproof anyway, if it has perished or the insulation has cracked it will short out, buy a new HT lead and new plug cap and that should help solve the problem

okay thanks man, i thought it would be something like that, i have waterproofed the air box on my bike see and no mud can get in as i haver put a tight over the vent (100% breathable and waterproof i think) how would i waterproof the wires going to the coil and where could i get hold of a waterproof HT leat

Dont worry about it, just give it a spray with WD40, the leads arent usually replaceable any how, they are an integral part of the ignition coil.

you find that dirt bikes etc need the oil and filters done after about 20 hours of riding

ktm's especially.. might not be the case with the dt as much, but i would look into that

least its sorted now eh

The same thing happened to me when i had an RD 50 in 1980. was as good as new after the air filter was cleaned.