Car insurance?

wild foamy
This post is 5513 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone.

quite a while to wait until im 17 but im starting to consider my options in regards to personal transport.

The DT will be going soon after my b'day and i've been quoted £250 to insure me on my Jawa 350 (TP F&T) which would be ideal as it shouldn't take more than £100 to get the jawa tarted up and running.

however, im starting to consider getting a small car as i dont quite fancy freezing my tits off by riding through another winter, Ford Capri 1600 Laser would be nice but thats £2,500 to insure and no doubt will need the floorpans welding back in at some point or another.

so i looked at the insurance for a Peugeot 106, bit more reasonable as its 1.1L, fairly easy to find parts for and you can pick them up for under a grand. insurance came back as £1,700 (TP F&T)

did any of you actually bother getting cars when you were 17? and is it even possible to get insured at 17 on a small car for under £1,000?

this world of motoring is so confusing... not to mention f*cking expensive...

- Steve

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone.

quite a while to wait until im 17 but im starting to consider my options in regards to personal transport.

The DT will be going soon after my b'day and i've been quoted £250 to insure me on my Jawa 350 (TP F&T) which would be ideal as it shouldn't take more than £100 to get the jawa tarted up and running.

however, im starting to consider getting a small car as i dont quite fancy freezing my tits off by riding through another winter, Ford Capri 1600 Laser would be nice but thats £2,500 to insure and no doubt will need the floorpans welding back in at some point or another.

so i looked at the insurance for a Peugeot 106, bit more reasonable as its 1.1L, fairly easy to find parts for and you can pick them up for under a grand. insurance came back as £1,700 (TP F&T)

did any of you actually bother getting cars when you were 17? and is it even possible to get insured at 17 on a small car for under £1,000?

this world of motoring is so confusing... not to mention f*cking expensive...

- Steve

Hi Steve,

back in 79 when I had my fist car (78 Toyota Starlet YKW444T) the insurance cost about £260 fc but what happend after that was young drivers were adding greatly to accident stats & claims with hot hatches and the odd Crappy (oh I ment Capri 3 litre) so therefore the risk went up to the point you now have to pay for our forebares claims/mistakes .. and on top of that I guess that insurance companies are loading the policies on the thought that younger drivers do make more claims. But if you can afford a policy on something if you don't claim the cost will drop well quick ... £100 policy - 10% discount = £1 £1000- 10%=£100 so I guess u have to pay it and grin 30 years on !

Regards Jim

Unless you're a midget with size 2 feet, don't even think about it!

My father-in-law had one for years, the pedals are off-centre to the steering wheel and normal sized feet are usless for using the pedals - honestly the only way I could drive it was without shoes on! If I pressed the clutch in, the brake would go on too!!

If you want cheap, look for something more like an old (proper) mini, I had a 1l Cooper, with wide arches - the lot when I was 19. After Fiesta's and a stint with a mazda 626 it was the best car to date. Small, very but as quick as you like and you didn't need brakes (good job realy cos they sucked) as the road holding was the best. Something like this will cost you bugger all to insure. You can pick them up fairly cheap and spend the next 6 months sorting it out (subframe, welding, engine, brakes. Great cars and lots of real oldy world charm.

Or, if your after something a bit more modern, stick to the ford/rover/vauxhall stuff, it'll be cheaper than the French cars (that cost a fortune when they go wrong). My missis had a 206cc, got quoted £350 for a new exhaust, so she traded for a new 307, looks nice but I'll not be funding repairs......

yeahh tiz mate my friend has a umm punto i think it is and payed nothin for it coz its a wreck but you know, but his dad is insured on it for like £30 because of his no claims and he is as a second driver and it has cost him £700 i think on insurance. they always goin on about it in sport, and am only lad there with a bike

hope this helps

sampson

i for one think the peugeot X07 series looks absolutely shite, and the Micra, and most of the newer cars that are coming out, too curvey and futuristic, much prefer the styling of the older cars (Mustang, Camaro, Capri...)

even on a 1L Suzuki Swift i was quoted about £2,000 on insurance. wtf?

My first car, at 17, cost me £70. TPTF insurance also cost me £70. At the time I earned about £35 a week. Now this isn't much use to you now, but it shows that running a car at 17 has always been (relatively) expensive.

At 16, I got a BSA C15 (250cc for those less than half a century old) for £60 and insured it TP only for £12. (Those were the days when you could ride a 250 at 16.)

as soon as i hit 17, got myself a vaux astra, mk3 1.4litres.. picked it up for £800 - not so bad! insurance TPF&T was around £900, me as a named driver, dad as policy holder (with a big NCB).. had a bit of a mishap, my fault, went up slightly, then got 3 points :angry: knocked it up to £1500

next got a suzuki x-90 - probably not the most common of tastes - but insurance was still around the same!

from what i researched, the best thing to do, is actually spend a whole day shopping for quotes!! ignore them comparison ones, except for gocompare.com (if anybody has found a good comparison one, pls lemme know, as i really found them expensive, except the one i mentioned)..

a small car, say under 1.4 litres to start off with, should be fine, and u can use clicky to check out the insurance groups! (just go to the "find a car by insurance group - around halfway down, towards right side) I found it very helpful.. as a rough idea, u should aim for groups 1-6ish.. 5 and 6 have half decent cars, im sure there would be something u can find cheap to buy..

im not too sure on this, but you could try to ring your motorbike insurers, and ask them if they do cars.. maybe they would understand that youve been riding, and have experience on the road.. motorcyclists are the BEST and SAFEST road users, and thats FACT.. possibly even stick on a NCB..

Best of luck mate, and leme know if u need a hand looking around for quotes etc.

Hope this helps

(p.s. - i was in same position as u a few years ago, i know exactly what its like - the only difference is, u ride, i just started riding ;) )

Insurance will always be the biggest hurdle at your age i'm afraid. About 5 years ago when me and a mate both passed our tests he got an old Fiesta, nothing special just a cheap runaround, cost him about a grand to insure as a named driver on his Dad's insurance, I seem to remember it would have been about double that if he'd done it in his own name. Very expensive! This is why since passing my test I've not actually owned a car. Now I'm insured on my girlfriends peugeot 306, and adding me to the policy actually made her cover cheaper, work that one out!

i no a friend with about 5 capri's

you need to be a mechnic to own one

Trying to get insurance at 17 blows....

When I was 17 I went on my b/f at the times insurance on his cavalier SRi as a named driver and that helped for a coupla years until I was in a position to go it alone...in fact a few yrs on it actually saved us money having a joint policy thing on an Audi Coupe...bloody loved that car...

Im 32 now and still moan my head off at insurance prices :lol: £300 a year fully comp on my Vectra SXi, and free handbag cover (whoop whoop)...like thats my most important focus?? :blink: its not so bad... <_<

Get on t'internet matey and compare Meerkats......simples!

Named Driver on a parents insurance is the only realistic option in my opinion, unless you or your parents are rich. It gives you a lot more flexibility financially when choosing your first car! instead of having to settle for an awful old knackerd 1L...

ive owned a DT... if that doesnt make me a mechanic i dont know what does... :lol:

cheapest quote i got on a 1L suzuki swift was £1600, but if i have it on my mums policy it quotes around £2,800 because i would still be the registered keeper/owner/driver... WTF?

to hell with this, maybe i just invest in a set of heated hand grips for the Jawa

Don't you mean Crapi ...... sorry my time with the 3.0 Crapi was a bad one !

Regards Jim

In my experience mate, go with admiral and put on 3 female drives older than you as named drivers with lots of NCB. This brings your policy down even if they dont use your car and means you instantly start building up NCB (well worth starting asap). Also once you have found the best price on the net by tweaking your millage, excess and drivers then call them up and argue the toss, i nearly halved mine this year by calling them up and challenging everything they say, you have to have some phone confidence for this though!

Where did you get motorbike insurance on a 350 so cheep mate? trying to get insured on a 125 and cant even get prices that good!!!! If anyone is good with bike insurance id be really grateful of some tips over at:

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15832

Good luck with your car policy mate, search online for insurance groups to find the cheapest cars too.

Cheers

CJ

Cheapest quote for the Jawa is now £304 from Express Insurance (found on gocompare.com), with swinton quoting a massive £544! :o

When i was 17 insurance TPFT cost me £1100 on a £1300 1.2 punto, which is just silly, but it meant i built up no claims and now im 22, my insurance is only £330 fully comp! (with the help of additional drivers and a family policy discount mind!) Just waiting for the same to happen ont he bike insurance, coming up to the end of my first years insurance, so hoping to get that under 500!

like someone else said, cheap doesnt exist as far as insurance for a young guy goes! just gotta stick it out until you can prove to them with your no claims really!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online