Radar and Laser detector

parkey5
This post is 5511 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Does anyone know where to buy a decent radar and laser detector for my R6?

There are already enough speed cameras, but you learn where these are, now there are more portable speed camera vans and the hand held speed guns around my town. I still have a clean licence and I'm a careful rider but if I'm being monitored everywhere I go its only a matter of time until they start lining their pockets with my hard earned cash.

If only there was a way to combat the Average speed cameras too.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

Not too sure about the detectors, but a quick search on good old google should do it ;)

From what I remember, the average speed cameras face our front, i.e. theyre infront of the drivers/riders..

Now how many motorcyclists have a numberplate on the front B):P

So i think we can get away with that one, (dont try it, till ure sure tho), but if that is the case, that they can only see the front of us, theyve got no chance!! :)

I've used the Road Angel series of detectors for some time. The Road Angel Plus has an inbuilt battery, which allows you to use it for up to 8hrs (claimed) before recharging. The unit is updated from a central database via a computer/Internet connection and my various models have saved me time and again!! There is an inbuilt laser detector, but I'm not too sure how well this works, as I have never to my knowledge been checked by a laser device!

Have a look here for the full range - http://www.road-angel-gps.co.uk/which-road-angel.htm

If you decide to go with this range, use Google to find the best prices, as they change regularly. There is a 6 month subscription free update period, followed by a monthly charge for updates.

John

Hi,

Not too sure about the detectors, but a quick search on good old google should do it ;)

From what I remember, the average speed cameras face our front, i.e. theyre infront of the drivers/riders..

Now how many motorcyclists have a numberplate on the front B):P

So i think we can get away with that one, (dont try it, till ure sure tho), but if that is the case, that they can only see the front of us, theyve got no chance!! :)

Don't believe that....they can still trace you......read for yourself...

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/search/3733230....e_in_same_road/

I wouldn't put it to the test either - but why use all that digital mapping technology when you could just stick a copper on the same stretch of road at about the same time! I am not saying that this technology isn't used in this way.....but the cops would have to have all that information on a database first, and then make a positive ID before making a case like that stick........surely?

<_<

The average speed cameras are, I believe only allowed to record the speed of vehicles if they remain in the same lane.

Have you noticed a bit of lane swapping as a line of traffic approaches the next camera position? If not try a trip on the A14 between Huntingdon and M11.

I think they are revisiting the legislation to try and sort it out, but I don't see any rush at the moment.

There are already enough speed cameras, but you learn where these are, now there are more portable speed camera vans and the hand held speed guns around my town. I still have a clean licence and I'm a careful rider but if I'm being monitored everywhere I go its only a matter of time until they start lining their pockets with my hard earned cash.

Lets consider somethign about the hand held devices for a moment. The old radar guns are defunct now, you might find them being used by community groups to monitor speeders through villages, past schools etc - but all they can do is ask the police to come and see you. You cannot be prosecuted for this, the oficer will be stern with you, and might even use words that sound like an official warning, but at the end of the day it means nothing. It can be used circumstantially in the even you end up in front of the beak though.

Sorry, back to the guns used by the Police. These are based on a narrow beam of light that is reflected from a front reflective surface (normaly a number plate). as with all light there is some refraction as it travels and this is what the detector is picking up. So, Mr Policeman 'fires' his detector, and a beam of light hits the front of your bike (the detector goes off) and it reflects back to his reciever. You start to slow down - but it's already too late, you caught, photgraphed and as you go past/turn around he records your registration number! In some cases the vans have front, side and rear facing cameras to record you as you pass.

So, do you really thing it's worth the cost of a detector ??

There is, and it's foolproof. Stay within the limit.

Of course, if you're up to it you can work out your speed average as you go through the 'zone', put simply - if the zone is a 50mph, and you spend 30 seconds at 40mph, then you can spend the next 30 seconds at 60mph - your average is 50mph! These sorts of site have to give a little more 'lea way' too, if you were to put a piece of string in the straighest line through the zone it would be considerably shorter than if you travelled the zone in the same lane. They have to consider this as it is a viable defense - so the reality is you can get away with a few mph over without actually causing an alarm.

This was a special case, if you are going to be an utter tit then you deserve all you get. Habitual offenders will get caught too, say you pass the same camera every day at the same time exceeding the limit - they are going to get you, and when they do they'll use all the weeks previous evidence to nail you, as in this case.

If you pass a front facing camera, clearing the limit by 10 - 20 % on the odd time then you will get away with it - unless you have a 'one off' race replica suit etc.

The average speed cameras are, I believe only allowed to record the speed of vehicles if they remain in the same lane.

Have you noticed a bit of lane swapping as a line of traffic approaches the next camera position? If not try a trip on the A14 between Huntingdon and M11.

I think they are revisiting the legislation to try and sort it out, but I don't see any rush at the moment.

It depends how they are setup, if they work on the average speed through the shortest section (like the piece of string example above) then it makes no difference. They may allow for 60 or 70mph average through a 50mph zone, so no ammount of lane swapping is going to help you.

Don't get me wrong I think the use of speed cameras is utterly wrong, I would much rather have more traffic officers as all offences can be caught not just speeders (drink drivers, drugs, Chavs etc) it would be much better. However in alot of cases the cameras are there for a reason (like two chavs in a row killed themselves in thier Saxo's), so if you are a bit more alert in these areas isn't that good ?

Remember, if someone does something stupid, the guy on the bike will always get hurt.

I wouldn't put it to the test either - but why use all that digital mapping technology when you could just stick a copper on the same stretch of road at about the same time! I am not saying that this technology isn't used in this way.....but the cops would have to have all that information on a database first, and then make a positive ID before making a case like that stick........surely?

<_<

:yeahthat:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online