down shifting

handai
This post is 5558 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

do u all know the importance and the technique of down-shifting gears? very important ie;to avoid locking up rear tyre and to avoid unecessary wear on the drive train. <_<

so..if u wanna kno the technique just ask..

"this is for newby riders"

that's very persumptious of you <_< and a bit patronising if I read it right!!

lol

from the lad who had a 125 a few week ago... fantastic.

that's very persumptious of you <_< and a bit patronising if I read it right!!

lol

from the lad who had a 125 a few week ago... fantastic.

mind you,locking rear tyre happened to me a few times on a 125..come on drewpsy whats wrong with being concerned to learner riders????and its for free,,, :huh:

do u all know the importance and the technique of down-shifting gears? very important ie;to avoid locking up rear tyre and to avoid unecessary wear on the drive train. <_<

so..if u wanna kno the technique just ask..

"this is for newby riders"

lol.gif

This is THE funniest thread i've seen in a long time :lol:

lol.gif

some of you may mock, but am 42, just got a 600 divvy (a comforting sort of name for a bike :mellow: )

so this kind of input is, well, unvaluable to no vices, like wot I am, so am gonna make a confession, yes, sometimes I am a cabron !, there.

some of you may mock, but am 42, just got a 600 divvy (a comforting sort of name for a bike :mellow: )

so this kind of input is, well, unvaluable to no vices, like wot I am, so am gonna make a confession, yes, sometimes I am a cabron !, there.

If you knew Handai like we do then you too would laugh :lol:

Monday is no laughing matter, let me tell ya !

If you have a problem just ask Aunty Goff in her problem page!!

I'm sure other more "experienced" bikers here have other nuggets of wisdom too

Monday is always hilarious... Usually because the boring bastards at work dare to enquire what I got up to at the weekend!!!!

I then proceed to shame them with my tales of High Adventure*!!!!

But back to the topic - Go on then, fella. Have your say.

Speak to us about the technique of downshifting.

Seriously, do. I can't be arsed to talk about it again, so you have a go. Plenty on here that will benefit!!!

Share the knowledge!!!

*Yes, I am indeed Conan The Barbarian :D

Handai, some questions for you:

What are your views on back-torque limiters in aiding competent down shifting? Do you think as devices they are useful for instance if all weight is transferred forwards? What about the response times of such devices?

What technique do you use to mate engine speed to rear wheel speed on traditional set-ups? Do you blip with two-fingers or lower rpms to avoid blipping?

What are your views on puposely allowing the rear wheel to break traction on down-changes to allow the motorcycle to be 'backed-in' Rossi-style?

How do you think variomatic and electronically controlled dual clutch systems differ from regular clutches when undertaking down changes?

this thread is a wind-up surely? <_<

Bring on the trumpets, I couldnt resist that !

"give me one moment in time" playing in the background, Alan Partridge stylee. :mellow:

:offtopic:

lol.gif

If you knew Handai like we do then you too would laugh :lol:

Monday is no laughing matter, let me tell ya !

If you have a problem just ask Aunty Goff in her problem page!!

I'm sure other more "experienced" bikers here have other nuggets of wisdom too

Monday is always hilarious... Usually because the boring bastards at work dare to enquire what I got up to at the weekend!!!!

I then proceed to shame them with my tales of High Adventure*!!!!

But back to the topic - Go on then, fella. Have your say.

Speak to us about the technique of downshifting.

Seriously, do. I can't be arsed to talk about it again, so you have a go. Plenty on here that will benefit!!!

Share the knowledge!!!

*Yes, I am indeed Conan The Barbarian :D

What are your views on back-torque limiters in aiding competent down shifting? Do you think as devices they are useful for instance if all weight is transferred forwards? What about the response times of such devices?

What technique do you use to mate engine speed to rear wheel speed on traditional set-ups? Do you blip with two-fingers or lower rpms to avoid blipping?

What are your views on puposely allowing the rear wheel to break traction on down-changes to allow the motorcycle to be 'backed-in' Rossi-style?

How do you think variomatic and electronically controlled dual clutch systems differ from regular clutches when undertaking down changes?

this thread is a wind-up surely? <_<

Bring on the trumpets, I couldnt resist that !

"give me one moment in time" playing in the background, Alan Partridge stylee. :mellow:

I LOVE THIS FORUM..WHAT WOULD IT BE WITHOUT ME?

AHERRMM...EARTH TO PILNINGGAS...HELP!!!HES OUT OF CONTROL!!

this thread is a wind-up surely? <_<v

you have a degree..why u asking me u bilabong...

Happy now PILNINGGAS????

I doubt he is - and im not either

Piss easy to copy and paste from other forums isnt it Handai.

:rolleyes:

Oooooooh look - the exact same posts you just made are found....

HERE

and

HERE (6th post down)

So you really DO know jack shit and just made yourself look a right tit :lol:

1) is a mechanism consisting of 2 parts that fit into eachother with cams and some ramps at one end of the contact-surface giving the ability to rotate slightly versus eachother and at the same time moving a little apart laterally, pulling the clutch pressure plate inwards and thus creating extra pressure on the clutch plates ONLY DURING very fierce acceleration. These parts are called back "torque limiter".

2)

Alright, let's keep it simple. :rolleyes:

Scenario 1: You're cruising in sixth gear at, say, 9.000 rpm. You blip the throttle without doing anything else. What happens? The rpms climb rapidly and the bike lurches forward.

Scenario 2: For this one we'll assume no throttle. You're coasting in sixth gear at 9.000 rpm. You try to downshift, but the bike won't readily pop into the next lower gear because of the load on the gears. You force the downshift to happen anyway. As soon as the lower gear pops into place the engine is still revving at 9.000 rpm, but the rear tire is now spinning too fast for your engine speed. Two things can physicallyhappen to fix this situation: a) your engine revs can climb to match the rear tire speed of B) your rear tire can slow down.

In this case, the weakest link in your chain of resistance is rear tire traction. The rear tire is going to brake traction and skid along until it's slowed down enough to spin in unison with the engine. While this is happening, it is reasonable to expect you to feel like you're being thrown forward as you've described. After all, your rear tire is locking up and decelerating the bike.

To fix Scenario 2, we have to bring the engine rpms up to match rear tire speed as soon as the downshift happens. We achieve that by simply doing both things at the exact same time: we downshift while blipping the throttle - the lower gears slips in place while we raise the rpms to match rear tire speed.

3)A dual-clutch transmission offers the function of two manual gearboxes in one. A dual-clutch gearbox, by contrast, uses two clutches, but has no clutch lever/pedal. Sophisticated electronics and hydraulics control the clutches, just as they do in a standard automatic transmission. One clutch controls the odd gears (first, third, fifth and reverse), while the other controls the even gears (second, fourth and sixth). Using this arrangement, gears can be changed without interrupting the power flow from the engine to the transmission

4)A regular conventional single clutch...When u want to change from one gear to another with a regular clutch, first u pull in the clutch lever. This operates a single clutch, which disconnects the engine from the gearbox and interrupts power flow to the transmission. Then u use the pedal shift to select a new gear, a process that involves moving a toothed collar from one gear wheel to another gear wheel of a different size. Devices called synchronizers match the gears before they are engaged to prevent grinding. Once the new gear is engaged, u release the clutch lever, which re-connects the engine to the gearbox and transmits power to the wheels.

So, in a conventional manual transmission, there is not a continuous flow of power from the engine to the wheels. Instead, power delivery changes from on to off to on during gearshift, causing a phenomenon known as "shift shock" or "torque interrupt." For an unskilled rider like(PILNINGGAS :lol: ), this can result in passengers being thrown forward and back again as gears are changed.

Happy now PILNINGGAS????

no, im not, how long have you been riding? you can measure my riding experince in decades. I have a degree in mechanical engineering have worked on many bikes including the clutches of them and i dont like people lording it with stuff they ripped off from another site.

The point i was making is that your original post was just ridiculous and very, very patronising to the rest of us on here!

I doubt he is - and im not either

Piss easy to copy and paste from other forums isnt it Handai.

:rolleyes:

Oooooooh look - the exact same posts you just made are found....

HERE

and

HERE (6th post down)

So you really DO know jack shit and just made yourself look a right tit :lol:

:chair:

no, im not, how long have you been riding? you can measure my riding experince in decades. I have a degree in mechanical engineering have worked on many bikes including the clutches of them and i dont like people lording it with stuff they ripped off from another site.

The point i was making is that your original post was just ridiculous and very, very patronising to the rest of us on here!

just don't mention MODIFICATIONS, oh shit just did :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online