only owned a R6 1 day and not to happy

herb-powers
This post is 5601 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hello i just bought my first proper road bike 2000 R6 mint 8000 miles got it home in van and i think the clutch is slipping , when its picking up 9k rpm there is a dodgey burning clutch smell :angry: can anybody give us sort of cost you looking at for a new clutch fitted i live north scotland any help would be great . i did test drive when i looked at it it was fine

could anyone reccommend were to buy clutch and which 1 , many thanks for any help

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hello i just bought my first proper road bike 2000 R6 mint 8000 miles got it home in van and i think the clutch is slipping , when its picking up 9k rpm there is a dodgey burning clutch smell :angry: can anybody give us sort of cost you looking at for a new clutch fitted i live north scotland any help would be great . i did test drive when i looked at it it was fine

could anyone reccommend were to buy clutch and which 1 , many thanks for any help

If its a hydraulic clutch, it may need bleeding

If its a hydraulic clutch, it may need bleeding

Also isn't the R6 a wet clutch like other Yamaha's? I don't think you can get a burning clutch smell with a wet clutch, it may though be brakes if the pads are dragging.

Geday Mate, If the clutch is in fact slipping, Don't automatically assume the clutch is rooted, The clutch on my brand new K6 1000 was adjusted all wrong from the factory. Firstly, working on the assumption that the 2000 R6 has a cable clutch, there may be a secondary adjustment under the clutch cover. If there is, loosen the adjustment at the lever end of cable.Then check that the mechanism in the centre of the clutch assembly has a small amount of end float. If it has not, adjust it until it has. Then re adjust cable at lever end. With these miles I doubt that the clutch is worn out, more likely that it is not fully re-engaging and not applying full pressure on the plates. Another slight possibility is that the previous owner was running the wrong engine oil. Keep us posted. I will try and bring the R6 clutch up elsewhere just to view the exact arrangement.ALL THE BEST

Geday Mate, If the clutch is in fact slipping, Don't automatically assume the clutch is rooted, The clutch on my brand new K6 1000 was adjusted all wrong from the factory. Firstly, working on the assumption that the 2000 R6 has a cable clutch, there may be a secondary adjustment under the clutch cover. If there is, loosen the adjustment at the lever end of cable.Then check that the mechanism in the centre of the clutch assembly has a small amount of end float. If it has not, adjust it until it has. Then re adjust cable at lever end. With these miles I doubt that the clutch is worn out, more likely that it is not fully re-engaging and not applying full pressure on the plates. Another slight possibility is that the previous owner was running the wrong engine oil. Keep us posted. I will try and bring the R6 clutch up elsewhere just to view the exact arrangement.ALL THE BEST

Many thanks for all your help , not a great start for me but im not quite so gutted now :huh: , the clutch is not hydralic , and the biting point on the lever is just as soon as you retract lever (about a few millimetre back) is this an indication of it being adjusted to get last out of clutch. gutted or not last nite i came back with a monster grin , thats a quick machine :blink: i have had bikes for years motox, trials ,supermotos but that was my first proper blast on a sports bike and i cant wait to get out there again on it lol . can i do any more damage driving with wonky clutch , it is selecting gears ok and seems to be pulling not to bad , just that dodgey burning clutchy smell when giving it beans :D

Many thanks for all your help , not a great start for me but im not quite so gutted now :huh: , the clutch is not hydralic , and the biting point on the lever is just as soon as you retract lever (about a few millimetre back) is this an indication of it being adjusted to get last out of clutch. gutted or not last nite i came back with a monster grin , thats a quick machine :blink: i have had bikes for years motox, trials ,supermotos but that was my first proper blast on a sports bike and i cant wait to get out there again on it lol . can i do any more damage driving with wonky clutch , it is selecting gears ok and seems to be pulling not to bad , just that dodgey burning clutchy smell when giving it beans :D

if they serviced the bike they may have put fully synthetic oil in, i have been told this can make some clutches burn out or slip :blink:

i think it was serviced recently as well mabe thats it . any ideas as to which / or were to get new clutch and what oil is recommended

i think it was serviced recently as well mabe thats it . any ideas as to which / or were to get new clutch and what oil is recommended

A good quality semi-synthetic oil would do. but its possible the damage has already been done, especially as you commented on the burning smell. For now i would go down the route of adjustment as has been said, get a little free play at the lever first with the cable adjuster, about 5mm at the lever end, then if you still think theres a problem youre looking at clutch adjustmen. If it is slipping youre not doing yourself any favours by riding it.

one question. did you buy it from a trader/dealer? if yes, this is surely their responsibility to rectify. if you did then you need to return to them asap.

Geday again, MY OPINIONS ONLY,Definately don,t ride it until you fix it. The point of lever release is not a good indication of proper clutch engagement, definately check,or have someone check the clutch freeplay at the clutch itself.Just because you could smell the clutch plates burning does not mean the clutch is stuffed as these thing can take an incredible amount of torture. Synthetic motorcycle oil will not cause a clutch to slip. If there is any chance of someone putting non specific bike oil in the machine, change the oil and filter just to be sure. Many car oils, synthetic or not, contain friction modifiers and these can cause clutch slippage. The proper way to clean and inspect the plates is to disassemble the clutch and wash the plates in white spirits, carby cleaner or brake cleaner. Because you are only new to sports bikes you probably are not going to ride it like you stole it. As such i would only run mineral oil in it until your next service. Definately have the primary clutch adjustment checked, as this really sounds like the problem.

ALL THE BEST!

hi mate, i had many r6 bikes from the old carb model to the new fuel injection model.. in fact 8 in all, the clutch can be worn even with 8k on the clock believe me i know, if it doesnt help adjusting it then just put some new plates in it,it will not be the oil either in my opinion as i used fully and semi synthetic in my r6 bikes including my race bike, semi synthetic being the best choice for a road bike, its not a hard job and the plates aint expensive but shop around instead of getting robbed from a main dealers. i can send you my number if it helps.

thanks daz