Riding in the wind

awh18awh
This post is 5665 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi all

Been riding for a little while so am still getting used to my bike, however today I was riding in very high winds and was being blown all over the place!! Im not the heaviest person in the world!

There is obviously some very experienced riders on this forum and was wondering how best to cope with the wind? Speed up? Slow down? Lean into the wind?

Thanks!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi all

Been riding for a little while so am still getting used to my bike, however today I was riding in very high winds and was being blown all over the place!! Im not the heaviest person in the world!

There is obviously some very experienced riders on this forum and was wondering how best to cope with the wind? Speed up? Slow down? Lean into the wind?

Thanks!

well having just come off the m62 and being blown all over the place i know what you mean, hope these tips help ,If your upper body is relaxed and your arms are bend and loose, the blasting wind will not be able to transfer movement via your arms to the handlebars. Allow your lower body to grip and lean the bike slightly into the wind while your upper body moves about in a fluid-like motion as the wind buffets you this way and that.

While the throttle is open it keeps the bike punching through the air. If however you are hit by a blast of air your natural reaction is to snap the throttle off . . . don't do it! React by gripping the bike even harder with your inner thighs and relaxing your upper body. Perhaps even feather the throttle closed slightly but do not shut it off. If you do, the wind will push you across the road. It is like a rugby scrum - the wind is pushing you, the open throttle is pushing back. If you stop pushing, the wind will get its way.

Also pay careful attention to the trees, grass etc at the side of the road. If they are waving about wildly but you cannot feel the blast, then this is a signal to grip the bike tightly with your inner thighs and relax your upper body in anticipation.

In a wild wind ensure that you ride in the middle of your lane. This give you real estate to work with as your line will naturally wander from side to side as the wind increases and decreases. Be aware that you have your limitations and know when to throw in the towel, pull to the side of the road and wait for the wind storm to pass.

these tips have helped me to understand where i was going wrong hope they help you

Half way home on a500mile trip p**s wet through gettin over taken by just about every car ,blown from one carridgeway to another and not in the best of humor,a kindly police man pulled me over and told me there was a wagon and a few trees on there side up ahead and i shouldn't be riding .i thanked him and carried on, i got home to find there had been 30mph winds gusting to 70mph .even riding at 30 mph didnt feel safe .you find yourself lookin for every gap in the hedge or buildings and every possible piece of debris dustbin or whatever in front of you . 200% concentration isnt enough to beat mother nature, i tend to check the weather now and avoid the worst .if you are out in it slow down read yer road surface harder than normal and watch for other road users with high sides gettin into s**t near ya!!

When you stop at traffic lights or a junction if the wind is blowing from left to your right put your RIGHT foot down and vice versa as it's easy to get blown over especially if you can't get both feet down (vertically challanged)

Good luck Square Box.

:welcome:

There's a thread on here somewhere that covers this - I remember adding to it, thou I can't remember where or when!

Good advice above, consider thou, that different bike handle differently in different conditions. Tyre choice, loading, rider size & weight etc all make a difference - even what you are wearing!

Stay calm, never ever panic is the best advice for any situation, no mater what is being chucked at you. This is easier said than done when you hit that bit of black ice at 70mph mind!

I read the physics of it, where the wind is coming from etc, and put the bike is a road possition that gives me somewhere to go if things get out of hand. So, wind from the left, ride on the left side of the lane (not so far as to give the idiots in cars a chance to squeeze in). When you get blown you still have a safety margin. Similarly from the right.

Take care passing wagons/caravans etc firstly the wind will drop, and hit you like a steam train when you get past. Secondly they too are being blown about, so they could move towards you very quickly - gear your bike for a fast getaway just in case.

I don't tend to slow down in the wind. I find that making progress eases the effects of the wind on the bike, it also gives me less time to respond to adverse conditions, so increased awareness & concentration is the order of the day. After 60 miles in strong wind (normally Carlisle to Newcastle over the North Pennines) can leave me completely knackered.

This is my style and it works for me, some preffer to slow down, I find I end up fighting the weather riding slow.

Everyones advice on here is personal experience, and it works for them - might not work for you. You can listen to advice, but you can only gain experience for yourself. Good on you for taking on the weather, bikes are ment to be riden, not parked up in the garage.... (IMHO)

:wavey:

As above, really.

Stay relaxed and be ready to react to the wind.

Keep an eye out for the 'slipstream' around high-sided vehicles.

Keep an eye out for debris blown across the road.

I cope rather well in high winds and enjoy the ride. My other half doesn't.

We both ride the same bike.

You will find what works for you and what gets you through, especially when you have no choice.

Welcome to experience and "Character-Building"!!!