why do you own a yam?

liquidcooled
This post is 5978 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

You get more respect from Oldschool for riding your type of bike than if you'd just got yourself the latest colour coordinated race rep bullshit!

exactly 8)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My exup is the first Yam I have owned since 1982 when I had the misfortune to own a XS250SE. what a bag of shite that bike was. I had it from new and in the six months that I 'rode' it it was back to the dealers at least once a week for repairs under warranty. In the end they took it back and swopped it for a nice 400/4 +cash back. I then had a succession of hondas and kawasakis until 1993 when i bought a Gixer 'slabby' which I ran till this year when I bought me exup.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote="Unmutual

But what about DL1000 clutch baskets,

Have fun! 8)

kin 'ell, I come here to get away from my bloody V-Strom problems, and what do I find .......... effin clutch hassles being mentioned!!

so why Yamahas....

I like my TRX cos I built the thing up from a box of broken bits, and is just that bit different from other bikes, I like my Ace cos I like the comfort, speed, grunt, and looks of the thing (actually it's my second one, so kinda speaks for itself).

I've had Hondas, been ok, but actually the most unreliable bikes I've ver owned,

Kwacks are ok, but a bit boring at times,

Suzukis, got a DL1000 with loads of troubles, so less said the better,

but the yamahas have always been brilliant, so I like 'em.

stormy

Tell me more about the Strom problems mate.

Cos I came very close to buying one recently.

I'll post something tomorrow, cos I'm off to land of nod, not all bad news though .....

Tell me more about the Strom problems mate.

Cos I came very close to buying one recently.

So my claims weren't completely unwarrented then? :lol:

Well, in a (big) nutshell, I've had all the usual problems that seem to affect the V-Stroms, although to be fair, my biggest problem has been my supplying dealer.

I live in germany for a large part of my time, near Hamburg, (as my partner is german), so when we were looking to go touring we bought a V-Strom from our local dealer. Unfortunately his attitude seems to be "got yer money now fook off", and as such has been unwilling to rectify many of the little niggles that have afflicted my bike. He says that any warranty work will only be done in the winter, cos that's when the workshop is quiet and he has the time to spare, so he generally chucked a set of loan bike keys in my direction and told me to come back in the winter. Only problem is with that is my Strom has all the factory fitted hard luggage and the 600 bandit or the Hayabusa didn't! So not exactly good service.

The bike:

Well after I had run the bike in for 1500 kms, the rear piston failed and trashed the engine. Quick fix - new engine.

Sorted.

Not.

Second engine siezed after 135 kms, but we think this was due to some oil containmation problem.

Again new engine, on my third now. Now this engine has done 11000 kms without breaking down, most of which has been two-up with lots of luggage fitted, so not all bad news.

However, after about 500 kms, the engine developed a pronounced knocking at idle, especially when it is hot after a fast run. Dealer says "they are all like that", :ct: but they are not, even his own demonstrator don't knock.

Also we found that when accelerating hard, and believe me, these bikes don't hang around, the noise from the bottom of the engine was awful. Despite several attempts at convincing the dealer to sort the thing out, i eventually brought the bike to the UK and asked for help from Suzuki UK. Now my bike is german registered and supplied, and Suzuki UK have been brilliant.

They booked my bike into Stamford Superbikes, who diagnosed some of noises as being a failing clutch basket, common on the -02 and -03 models. So whilst the parts were ordered up, I was still using the bike, then the slave cylinder went belly up, leaving me stranded by the side of the road. Both the slave cylinder and clutch basket were replaced at the same time, and have cured most of the horrible noises coming from the engine.

However I still have this pronounced knocking, (since the new clutch is a lot quieter than the old one, it lets the sound out more) and Suzuki UK are still investigating this now. It sounds like a big end bearing failure (just to give you an idea of the sound) and is loudest when the bike is hot and in an upright position, e.g. sitting at a set of lights. put the bike on the sidestand, and the noise all but disappears, which is why Suzuki think it may be a crankshaft endfloat problem, (on the TL1000 s and R models, this is adjusted with a thrust washer, but strangely DL1000 don't have this washer :shock: ). As I said, this is still under investigation, but Suzuki say it is definitley not normal, no shit sherlock!

Other things:

The bike ran like a pig from new, regardless of which engine, misfiring, snatching at low rpm low speed, all of which was improved when I took the bike to BSD to have it checked out for fuelling. It would appear that the original dealer filled the fooker with petrol and handed over the keys, without actually doing a pre-delivery inspection. It is much better now, and as an aside, these bikes are sensitive to correct chain tension, too much slack and the throttle response is very snatchy.

Over heating:

the bike runs very hot all the time, much hotter than other V-Stroms I've ridden, but we suspect it may be simply a temp sender unit giving a false reading. Course then the fan cuts in and that is hitting something under the cowl, so makes a racket, but that will be sorted when the bike goes into the dealer again next week.

Coolant leaks:

Most Stroms leak water from every hose clip, and is easily fixed by giving the clips a quick half turn, after that no problems.

Other fings:

Dealer induced front wheel replacement, after a service, the twat left the "R" clip out of the front right brake caliper, pad retaining pin, so the pin came out (on these bikes they come out towards the wheel, not outboard) and proceeded to carve a slot in the spokes of the front wheel. We noticed it as we were leaving Donnington this year. The pin was also not fitted through the pad themselves, so the pads could have fallen out at any time. Don't bear thinking about. :ct: New front wheel (following a threat of prosecution) sorted that out.

Side stand fell off whilst at lights, obviously the screws hadn't been tightened after a service or sumfink.

It all sounds a lot, but on the upside, it is a fun bike to ride, bloody quick for a trailie styled bike, very good for touring i.e. comfy, econmical, handles very well (relatively I know), carries luggage easily, is distinctive to look at (subjective I know, some think it is ugly).

Once I get the knocking sorted, even if Suzuki come back and say it is nothing to worry about and won't cause a failure, then I'll be a very happy bunny. I like the bike generally, and I think if I'd bought the bike from a UK dealer, then none of the dealer induced crap would have happened.

I'll probably keep it for another year and then replace it with a TDM 900 or an FJR1300.

sorry for the war and peace epic, but ya did ask!!! :lol:

stormy

• 2 years later...

Doesn't matter what bike you ride DL....in fact a lot of the people with the best bikes are sad wankers trying to "belong".

It's what you feel about bikes that matters.

You get more respect from Oldschool for riding your type of bike than if you'd just got yourself the latest colour coordinated race rep bullshit! 8)

well zd m8, i agree ;)

I got a Yamaha because that's all I could afford. But I recently sold my Yamaha XJ600 to purchase a project bike through the wintertime. It's a 1996 Honda CBR600 F3 that someone decided to take apart and can't put back together. Right now I'm sanding the rattle can black off that the previous owner put down. My buddy is drawing up a paint design and I should have it running fairly soon.

I'll only buy Japanese. The only reason I wouldn't is if I lived in the mountains and wanted a Buell for twisties. But I have to have money to repair the Harley when it does break down. Which I dont' have right now.

Honda - I've always loved Honda becuase everything they make is pretty damn reliable. Now if you do need to replace a part Honda loves their parts and can get expensive.

Kawasaki - I like their dirtbikes/ATVs more than their street bikes. But would love a ZX10 or the KLR650s.

Suzuki - The only two bikes they make I would own would be the SV650/1000s(Which is an awesome bike) and the GSXR750 becuase it's a good in the middle bike. However it's the Choice of Squids so I wouldn't ride one unless I got a killer deal on it. OH yeah I'd take the DZM400 Supermoto. And I hate Hyabusas. Too freaking ugly.

Yamaha - Yamaha like Honda makes great whatever they put their hands on. They make some of the best Pianos in the world along with other Musical instruments. Plus I found they have the lowest markup on their parts of any of the Big 4 Japanese.

Of the Euro bikes I'd only own a BMW bike. Triumphs and Ducatis I feel are overated and have the same quality as a Harley.(Which I hate Harleys). And I'd take the KTM 990 Supermoto becuase that is sex on two wheels.

But when it comes down to it I'll take whatever I feel is a good deal. Because if Kellogs Cereal made a great sport bike I'd buy that.

But between Yamaha and Honda it's a Toss up for me. If I wanted a Litre bike I'd get a CBR1000RR(Not the new ones because they are so Fugly). 600cc I'd get the R6. But would get an R1 if I found a better deal than the CBR or an 600RR if I found a better deal htan the R6.

I started with an RD250, bought one of the 1st RD350LC's in 1980, moved up to an XJ550 which I had for a few years and did many pleasurable miles without fault. I've had loads of others makes since but I then took a 17 year break from biking. I went to the Stafford classic bike show and seeing loads of Jap bikes, which are now classic by virtue of their age, I got the bug....and started thinking about my old XJ.

I have just bought an old '84 XJ550 with the intention of restoring it to original ( maybe without the original exhaust system for now...costs over £1000 new ). I am finding it hard to get some parts though !

• 2 weeks later...

Because i got my FS1E in 1976, and followed that with an RD250 (blue, coffin tank!) and then an XS750 US Custom.

Then had a break (got married!) and returned to bikes about 10 years ago with a 1967 XLCH Harley.

When I sold that, I wanted to get back to a more modern bike, and nothing but Yamaha crossed my mind

Have now got a 97 Thundercat and it does everything I need in all weathers perfectly

I've a Yamaha FZR400 as it's a great allrounder for city use and occasional twisty roads. Fantastic handling little pocket rocket that now looks great since since I got rid of the angular seat unit and painted it a nice plain red.

Had a '98 FZS600 a few years ago but was disappointed with the quality. Great bike to ride but anything that could rust was rusting (some of it badly) and the bike was at the time less than 6 years old - though admittedly it lived under a cover outside for a year. Contrast it with my first bike, a Kwaki ER5, that survived far better after 4.5 years of the same treatment.

Combined with a local Yam main dealer that isn't very helpful and ridiculously expensive I plumped for a 89 VFR750FJ. Much better build quality that felt like quality where the FZS just felt cheap.

Was looking for another bike and saw the ad for the FZR and remembered some rave reviews it got and bought it. Glad I did, it's a wicked little thing that has so much scope for really making your own.

Have sacked the main dealer and just buy parts from the net now.

My first bike was a 76 Honda CL360 which I quite enjoyed but I sold that when I got out of the army in 82. My second (and current) is my 80 Yamaha XS400G which I have just got done restoring (not a like new restoration but a "well cared for old bike" restoration). It's been stolen and stripped twice since I got it (from the first owner) and this last time I just finally got it pretty much back to where it was before the first kidnapping (yes this is my baby). Stupic California Gas ate the internal rubber parts out of the carbs, so I had to get new parts for them but everything is good now. I just like the way it looks, and for it's age and size it performs better than most bikes in the same size class from the same timeframe (at least in my experience). I'll be updating my avatar soon (it's a picture of said bike as you can see) showing the new colour changing paint job (looks really good even if it's not "factory"). That said, I just can't make myself look at most of the other makes, as I just like my Yamaha better than I did my Honda and I can't quite make myself consider a Harley, so I guess my next will likely be a Star since I want a cruiser or street bike (no crotch rocket for me) and it seems like from Yamaha its either the crotch rocket or the cruiser (Star).

Right why do i own a yam.....Have you seen what Haga can do on them...........thats a huge selling point in itself!!! lol.....

Honda......sports bikes...lovely reliability but.......too small for tall riders

Kawasaki....never really liked them too much until recently and again too small

Suzuki....nuff said!

Well started on a BW50 SPY and it never let me down and when it did was an easy fix........Went to Cagiva for my 125 (planet) and it was built like an italian bike........say no more........went to uni so sold the cagiva and back on the BW50 SPY and that was a god send to get to uni on.

Once at work earning money saw an R6 for sale and have always loved the R-Series from the dawn of time and fell in love with mine after the test ride and the rest they say is history.....

:D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online