Age old question of which oil?

subbyrob
This post is 5697 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there,

As a new member I'm interested to hear your opinions and knowledge concerning which oil I should use in my engine.

I have an old FZS600 Fazer which has done just over 30k miles and would appreciate any advise as to which make or spec of oil would be most suitable.

Many Thanks

Subbyrob

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Silkolene brand 10W40 Semi-Synth costs about £19.99 for a four litre bottle.

Edit: Oh look - 100 posts!!

What they said^^^^^, I have to admit the yam runs on the regular motorcycle stuff and forecourt 2stroke but the suzuki has swam in fresh Rock synth4 every 3-4000miles. At TTS they said as its coolant as well and with the tuning if i want it to last use the best i can afford. Good oil's cheaper than engines.

Where's the tesco/halfords brigade with the chip fat.........

Hi there,

As a new member I'm interested to hear your opinions and knowledge concerning which oil I should use in my engine.

I have an old FZS600 Fazer which has done just over 30k miles and would appreciate any advise as to which make or spec of oil would be most suitable.

Many Thanks

Subbyrob

hi, DONT DONT DONT put car oil of any kind in a bike, Car motor oil has a detergent in it & it cleans the clutch plates & make them slip at high revs, just when you need a bit of power to over-take, clutch will let you down, trust me on this one ,im a bike mechanic, Fully synthetic is mainly for high reving motors R1s ect, semi is good for your bike , I use Motul in my workshop, Parsley

Hi there,

Many Thanks

Subbyrob

hi, DONT DONT DONT put car oil of any kind in a bike, Car motor oil has a detergent in it & it cleans the clutch plates & make them slip at high revs, just when you need a bit of power to over-take, clutch will let you down, trust me on this one ,im a bike mechanic, Fully synthetic is mainly for high reving motors R1s ect, semi is good for your bike , I use Motul in my workshop,the difference between synthetic & mineral is, synthetic stay the same hot or cold,ie it does'nt go thin when hot, so is much better for high reving motors that run hoter than low reving motors, Parsley

hi, DONT DONT DONT put car oil of any kind in a bike, Car motor oil has a detergent in it & it cleans the clutch plates & make them slip at high revs, just when you need a bit of power to over-take, clutch will let you down, trust me on this one ,im a bike mechanic, Fully synthetic is mainly for high reving motors R1s ect, semi is good for your bike , I use Motul in my workshop,the difference between synthetic & mineral is, synthetic stay the same hot or cold,ie it does'nt go thin when hot, so is much better for high reving motors that run hoter than low reving motors, Parsley

your not related to parsley boobs are you?

I use millars 20/50 sport semi synth but its £30 (gulp!!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online