FJ1200

lallasro
This post is 3181 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

thank you tasky and slice. I will buy a membership and get from there the cam gasket and the o-ring rubbers

first thing I do today:

Photo1160_zpswzvnjuij.jpg

Photo1161_zps5wxjwsf6.jpg

I have to chose between buying plastikit or plastitech things or do it old school :)) I chose the oldschool because I don`t have to wait untill I receive the repair kit.

the fairing had a part missing but the seller give me a broken fairing so i repair the fairing.  is not looking perfect but is strong and I hope the primer will cover good enough the repaired area.

any tips for removing the stickers from plastic guys?

Edited by lallasro

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The stickers are lacquered over so you will have to remove the lacquer before the stickers can be taken off, best advice, wet and dry sandpaper (fine) and lots of elbow grease, then the stickers can be pealed off, a right bastard to do, why not just paint over them and have a ghost "FJ" under the paint?

the main issues doing the old way for me was that when it dried, it was very brittle. Plastitech stays flexible.

I have had pretty good results with abs fairing repairs using plumbers solvent cleaner and solvent weld. I'd like to try the Lego in acetone at some point as well but not had the chance yet.

Used the solvent method to repair and even build up for missing parts on bike fairings, car parts, coffee machine parts and game controllers. I wouldn't be without the stuff now. That and some homemade sugru to protect the ends of the bungees so I can't scratch the bike.

What's this about LEGO? I have tons of the bleeding stuff left over from my boys. And can you explain the "solvent" method for an old fart?

Just add acetone to a Lego block and let it dissolve then use the slurry as a glue to join the abs together. I also used scrap and on the back to add strength. The solvent glue I've used is tangit all pressure glue for pvc and abs. From what I've seen the acetone and Lego gives the same sort of look, feel and application as the solvent glue I am currently using. As soon as that runs out I'll be trying the Lego. Acetone works well on its own as a glue also. I always clean using a pvc and abs cleaner first. I'll look out some YouTube vids later.

• Like 1

Thank you both,  that's brill.

Ive got a spare gasket if you want it, i bought it to do mine because i thought it was leaking but it turned out to be a snapped bolt in the head.

I've got the rocker cover gasket, brand new in the package.

i've also got an alluminium swingarm, pair of 3XW wheels (ABS), the footrest hangers, forks with Hagon preogressive springs, handlebar switches, various odds and ends that ive kept.

I already buy the cam cover gasket 2 days ago :(, also the o-ring rubbers :( but in case (I hope no) I will need another one, I will send you a PM. all other stuffs, I don`t need them unfortunatelly. I identity the reason the gasket was burned in one corner (plastic density) in left side, on the air intake, is missing the tube that send the air in this area. fortunately, I found the tube on ebay with 10 pounds but if I found, I will also buy an air intake because this one have a corner missing and 3 holes where the tube come fixed, are broken, I will have some work to do on this to bring it back. anyway, I will take a look at the handlebar switches to see if they are all ok and if not, I will give you a shoot.

I wait for the primers to come this week and I will make a test on broken fairing I have, I want try the marble painting and if is looking good coming out from my hands, I think the bike will look candy blue with marble effect.

in time I will also need buy another belly pan because this one I have have the left side missing. I can buy new from pyramid plastics or, from fjclub, fiber glass. any sugestion about witch one? the plastic one is a bit cheaper but not to much, 2-3 pounds.

I make a test today to see how the  painting will look aproximatelly, I don`t give painting time to dry, I spray after 2 min every wave so is not looking very good. also this blue is not what I want, I just buy a spray for testing, is a bit hard to do marble effect with spray but is good enough.

I need some advice about the clear lacquer. what I saw there is 1k and 2k kind, I have no idea what this mean. what is the best?

Edited by lallasro

I saw this one vayduh but using a spray is different and also he don`t use to much white paint because he don`t come with another color over it. because I come with blue over, I need use more white. I try with less white and the result was very poor.

this is more close to what i want to do