1981 XV750H Tacho Not Working

Blizzard
This post is 3245 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

On my 1981 XV750H the tacho has suddenly stopped working. Was fine last week, now flickers a bit but most times stays on zero revs, :cussing:

I am checking wiring conections and looking for broken wires, any other suggestions please?

Replacement Tacho heads seem pricey and I would probablly have to import from USA to UK, making HM Customs richer and me even poorer. :cry2:

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1981 taco and your looking for broken wires, isn't it a spedo like cable from the rocker cover, or maybe from the back of the clutch cover?

I have checked every connection and continuity of every wire connected to the Tacho. I am now a Tacho-ologist, I know more about XV750H tacho wiring than anyone should know. I am also poorer whilst someone in the land of the once mighty dollar is richer as I have ordered a replacement tacho meter. :yes: HM Customs will also no doubt get richer at my expense. :bawling:

That means you have an OLOGY, never a bad day when you have one of those. :biglaugha:

Noice to see yo have the proper tools at hand as well. A mofo big hammer and adjustable pliers. :eusa_whistle:

• Like 1

Tacho from USA arrived, fitted and same result, no reading. Burger! Rechecked and cleaned again, all conections and checked continuity of wire where I could. Feed is from TCI (Similar to CDI) but before spending £80 on a replacement one (Sob! :bawling: ) thought I would ask if there are any other ideas what to try. (Please don't tempt me to use that hammer. :smash: )

To save those who thought about it but did not post, this has been solved. :hyper: Replacement Tacho head from Yankeeland was listed on FleaBay as working. My aunt Matilda it was! :madflame: Checked and found two wires on it broke. Repaired them and tried it, now it works, so dumb Limey fixed what smart Alec New Yorker sold as "working" and was not. :farmerjohn:

So, obvious question.

Was that the same problem as your original? Have to say it would have been in bits long ago with me. Anything 'broke' on the bike I pull apart so I know it better if there is a next time.

No, original has all wires in tact and I have no idea how to check it beyond that and all wires going to it conected and have sequence, only one earthing being the one that should. Which is why I sought more info here.

Had to ask. Id be pulling the old one open, or selling it on evilbay usa :bad-boy:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online