yamaha dt 175 1979 cdi

This post is 3256 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello all bought my bike a few days ago and needs a good clean up but need to know some things first....

What cdi do i need i brought one of ebay didnt seem to start checked for spark and it did bright blue big spark! But noticed when i pulled plug out covered in fuel! I then noticed fuel leaking from carb i think the float was sticking so could this cause it to flood? Anyway it did start for a split second so does this mean i have the right cdi? It would not start at all after this!! 6 wire cdi btw but previous owner made into enduro so not all wires need to be connected also could someone tell me what wires to what colour wise?

• Like 1

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Buy the manual FIRST before you fork out on parts. All the info you need is in there you can then answer most of your own questions.

Hello all bought my bike a few days ago and needs a good clean up but need to know some things first....

What cdi do i need i brought one of ebay didnt seem to start checked for spark and it did bright blue big spark! But noticed when i pulled plug out covered in fuel! I then noticed fuel leaking from carb i think the float was sticking so could this cause it to flood? Anyway it did start for a split second so does this mean i have the right cdi? It would not start at all after this!! 6 wire cdi btw but previous owner made into enduro so not all wires need to be connected also could someone tell me what wires to what colour wise?

You need to introduce yourself properly.

Post is odd too. Why buy a cdi knowing it to be a 6wire without knowing what the 6 wire refers too.

Is there a red wire coming from the stator?

Sorry i dont really know to much about bikes this is my first project and i have a manual but it only told me about 3 wires and red wire when connected had no spark? So i unpluggd it and it sparked as it should thanks for any help

:eusa_eh: Er?

What you just said makes no sense, glad its working tho.

Thanks i dont know much about this bike and my dad us helping me with it but i wasnt to sure if i had bought the correct cdi my mate from work had the bike before me and made it into a trial bike got rid of most electics battery ect, and im doing it up atm the bike had a cdi in it but it didnt come with the bike as he needed for his other dt175 i noticed that his cdi was 6 wires so pressumed thats what i needed but come to think of it he didnt have all 6 wires frim the cdi connected so a gathered thats because he had taken the battery off and also no kill switch! I am going to fit one though.

I got the bike home put the new cdi in checked for spark which it did the tried to start the bike which it did for about a second then nothing after 10 kicks! But i did notice fuel pouring out of the carb i think the float was stuck so i took it apart and cleaned all of it the little valve in the carb that the float pushes it in and out has a ridge on it could this be a problem sorry for any confusion just dont know much about bikes and trying to learn as i go thanks

There is a black and white wire from the cdi , or there should be . If.......kill switch position .

(Mod edit, Cynic)

That kind of info wants to be in a pm. Know what i mean.

Ah gotcha , apologies , I forgot you might get the odd scrote reading on here . Point taken .

• Like 2

.....And did you mean me a scrote? ......

I don't think he did. I am guessing that Kevtherev posted some personal, to him, info - maybe his email or phone number so you could contact him for help. Cynic would have removed it so people can't spam him.

Nah. Basically gave the details to which bits will bypass everything. Locks and all to start your bike.

Not hard to figure out but we dont want to give it away in open forum.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online