Storing my bike is a pain. Advice?

Trooper
This post is 3762 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey all. This is going to sound like such a strange question to say the least, so bare with me if I sound totally boneidol :eusa_doh:

Do you think a YBR can be driven up a couple of shallow stairs? The reason I'm asking this is because I have no garage or diveway, so I need to keep the bike at the side of my house. Once it's through the gate, I haven't got a problem. But.. My side of the street is raised up above the road slightly (I tried to upload a picture from google street view but I can't get it to work). There is a small grassy slope, and then 2 steps from the road in front of everyone's gate. The steps are a few inches in height each, there are 2 steps and it's about 3 feet from the road to pavement. Sorry for the rubbish explanation, obviously it would be better if I could just upload an image.

I'm not legally allowed to ride it yet so I had someone bring it to me, and he drove it all the way up the pavement from the bottom of the street... Illegal and dangerous, not something I want to be doing every day. The grassy slope at either side of the steps is steep and slippery so I don't really want to attempt getting it up that.

If you were in my situation, would you use someone else's driveway access (a few people have had a concrete ramp built in the street with council permission) and walk it down the pavement or would you simply drive it up the stairs? I probably sound mad but this is a genuine concern to me. I'd leave it on the street but it'd be gone within the hour! :shakeno: Can this sort of bike manage that without any real problems?

Thanks for your patience... haha

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

WTTF Bud,

Personally, i would put a plank of wood across the steps you describe and ride it/wheel it up the plank, then just put the plank away when you're done.

• Like 1

WTTF Bud,

Personally, i would put a plank of wood across the steps you describe and ride it/wheel it up the plank, then just put the plank away when you're done.

I admit this does sound like the safest way to do it, just means I'll have to park on the street, go into my garden for the plank, put it out in the middle of the road, drive the bike in and then retrieve the plank, every single time I come home. If that's what I have to do then I will. I'm pretty sure the steps are shallow enough so that the bike won't get grounded on it's exhaust, I'm just paranoid that it'll loose its grip and fall away from me. I guess I'll just have to try one day and see if it works.. :P

should get a supermoto or enduro you could ramp those fucking stairs! :jossun:

But yeah, plank of wood is the best, scaffolding planks are more then strong enough and wide enough, just cut to length. wet planks can be very slippery so be careful! you can mix some sand/grit with a wee bit of old paint, varnish or something like that and paint the plank with it and it will have much better grip on there (thats what i did with my ramps) .

you have it fairly easy. To get my bike out - i have to move a car, unlock the garage, prop the door up with some wood, line two ramps up to get it over the 1 foot wall, push bike over the ramps, put ramps back in the garage, close garage door, lock it, move car back in-front of the door. THEN go and get my gear on and start the bike.

you have it fairly easy. To get my bike out - i have to move a car, unlock the garage, prop the door up with some wood, line two ramps up to get it over the 1 foot wall, push bike over the ramps, put ramps back in the garage, close garage door, lock it, move car back in-front of the door. THEN go and get my gear on and start the bike.

You're right, I do have it easy compared to you. That would literally drive me insane! :P

I have a plank about 15ft long that I used to get the bike out the van after I bought it. Might chop that into quarters and double it up then put the 2 beside eachother for extra width. Good idea using gritty paint though, I'll give that a go.

Only problem with two parallel each other is if the wheels go in the crack in-between it can push them apart and the bike with fall in-between.

Yeah the grit made a huge difference, but don't let the great traction trick you into believing it won't slip. it still can- just be careful B) sorted

Right I'll do that ;) I'll definitely have a go at just driving up them one day when it's dry, just to see if it's easy or not (I'm assuming it won't damage the bike since it's only 2 shallow steps). When I was a kid (I've lived in this house for 16 years and I'm now 19, just in case anyone is wondering) I used to ride my mountain bike down these steps quite fast and I never came off. I know a mountain bike is in no way reminiscent of a Yamaha motorcycle but even with the very thin tyres it never slipped, so I know I won't need a ramp to get out, it's just a case of seeing if I'll always need one to get in.

If someone would like to tell me how to upload an image I'll be able to show you what I mean :P When I click upload it tells me to select a category, so I click other and it takes me to everyone else's photos. I click the upload button there and I'm back to square one.

Rather than a ramp, could you use some triangular blocks of wood against each step to create a type of ramp, these would not tend to move when you go up them as they would be pushed against each step.

As you say coming down as long as you are careful should be fine without any ramp, a bit like dropping off a kerb, but I wouldn't want to go up without as the front forks tend to compress rather than the wheel go up.

wood, when wet is slippery.

accidently "spill" quick setting concrete between the steps

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online