Fly screens

joe.b
This post is 3750 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Possibly looking to purchase a fly screen/wind deflector or what ever else you want to call it for my xj6n

Now at the best part of a hundred quid they ain't cheap so do they actually help as in deflect the wind off you,make high speed more bearable or are they just there to look pretty?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

i'm not a fan to be honest.

My DR has one and it just feels as though it is making all the air that would otherwise be equally distributed over my body and forcing in all into my face.

But i'm very much used to the 'sit up and beg' seating position and having little or no wind shielding. Unless you doing over say 80? all the time then i wouldn't bother.

Others may well disagree.

£100 would get you a load of long-johns and thermal t-shirts, if it's the cold that is getting at you? if the actual wind is the problem, they do help but you will feel a lot more wind resistance on your head.

• Like 1

Very personal opinions are screens. Also, that works for one, may not work for you. Things like your height etc make a difference between riders. Also, I think so,e rider have different expectations. Some want completely still air, others want to be able to leave their visor up at a certain speed, etc etc...

I was camping in summer and actually wanted to rip the screen off my Tiger because I wasn't getting any air flow. Alas - not the right tools under the seat so I stuck with it. Lesson learnt and the tools are now under the seat. I won't hesitate to remove it on another hot day.

In terms of crunching miles on the motorway, my screen is a blessing - helps to keep me warm and drier than without it so it stays on. Also stops any major fatigue on the arms / neck.

That said though, I never felt the need to install one on my YBR and that was used on many a national speed limit road through winter, so plenty of cold air directed straight at me at relative speed but it wasn't a problem.

Would I got back to a bike without a screen? Yes.

I'd suggest having a good look around the net to research what screens work best for riders of your bike. Try and look out for any mention of their height etc so you can gauge effectiveness. Also, if your chummy with your local bike garage, they may let you sample one?

• Like 2

Cheers,quality input

To be honest 'if' I get a fly screen it would partly be for ascetics but I'd also want it to be functional..in still in 2 minds whether I think they look good or not lol.

Sod it..I'll treat myself to a rear hugger instead ;)

Cheers,quality input

To be honest 'if' I get a fly screen it would partly be for ascetics but I'd also want it to be functional..in still in 2 minds whether I think they look good or not lol.

Sod it..I'll treat myself to a rear hugger instead ;)

Ha ha ha I love it, you'll end up buying one just to see :biglaugha:

If it's a piddly little pissy flyscreen, then don't bother. The (Arse)Bandit hire bike has one and it does nothing except direct the wind, rain and cold right into my face, torso and hands.

The FJ has a proper windscreen and even though I am taller than the rider height it was designed for, I still only get rain at the top of my lid. Torso is fine, hands are fine and if you duck into a half-racing crouch you can hear nothing but the engine. It's lovely in there. I might even get the taller touring screen!

I've ridden a Dragstar for several years at speeds up to 107MPH (indicated) in standing temperatures of -7ºC (that's a wind chill -35ºC) and it was hell keeping warm... but your neck muscles will eventually build up after about two years of this and you end up looking like Noise, so it's still viable to ride an unscreened bike! ;)

I use one on my XVS in the winter to take the edge off the chilly Scottish wind.
It does tend to take the wind from your body and direct the lot to the top of you head but it's better than freezing your ass off on the commute to work and back.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online