Mini Project XS 400 DOHC

Tommy xs
This post is 3734 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

first the good news my bike is running fine again & it was an easy fix (cdi) now the bad news I need another Cdi for my other bike I had 3 units turns out only one good one, I bought one off ebay a while ago very cheap now I know why! its useless the bike won't even start with that one in well they said untested guess you take your chances on something like that I'm not going to bother finding another till I start working on it and don't know when that will be, its been standing for about 4 years now maybe someone would like to swop me for a 2t. :spin2:

there was at least 2 on ebay £20, checked it out?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Tommy

As I keep boring everyone with over on elvis' thread. My boys old SR went through 3 cdi units. The problem being was that I was buying them from breakers yards so was replacing a 20 odd year old part with another of the same age. If you could pick up a new one, expensive I know, that will last you another 20 odd years, and as you have 2 xs' then you can chop and change between them

yes Jim, just found a new only one problem http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XS400-Ignitor-Unit-NOS-XS400J-XS400K-1982-1983-CDI-12R-82305-00-XS-400-/251183452096?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7bb34fc0

I knew it would be expensive, but didn't think that much.

Have you opened the duff one up. If it is not the kind that is encapsulated in resin then speedshop ( or indeed any electronic wizard if you know any) may be able to renew/rebuild it

I knew it would be expensive, but didn't think that much.

Have you opened the duff one up. If it is not the kind that is encapsulated in resin then speedshop ( or indeed any electronic wizard if you know any) may be able to renew/rebuild it

thank's Jim I'll look into it

can't find any for that money Drew ? :shakeno:

must have sold, I never told you as you had loads of them :eusa_shifty:

I saw this while ago in looking into TCI's

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/TCIRebuild/TCI_Rebuild.html

must have sold, I never told you as you had loads of them :eusa_shifty:

I saw this while ago in looking into TCI's

http://www.jetav8r.com/Vision/TCIRebuild/TCI_Rebuild.html

cheers drew was thinking about opening it up and reheating some of the solder joint ect I also have a 4th cdi off my third bike but that was already smashed when I got the bike as it was a stolen/recovered bike but may have some bits in it I can use might as well give it a try as can't break it anymore.

Good link drewps, I looked into it with the SR but that type was moulded in resin. Quids in if the 400s' is free to work on. Even if you dont know anyone, you can take it to the local tech college and I'm sure they would have a look at it.

• Like 1

Good link drewps, I looked into it with the SR but that type was moulded in resin. Quids in if the 400s' is free to work on. Even if you dont know anyone, you can take it to the local tech college and I'm sure they would have a look at it.

the resin can be dissolved out, I think it was acetone (nail varnish remover)

Thats tidy" did you get her running, them CDI"s are better remade by Speedshop or west county windings, :yeah:

Thats tidy" did you get her running, them CDI"s are better remade by Speedshop or west county windings, :yeah:

Yeah she's running perfect just got to get a CDI sorted for my other XS

the red one will hopefully be be to blue for the summer I have new badge's already sprayed a tank and plastics are in primer

05052013863_zps51b55f77.jpg

sprayed it last summer but went a bit wrong

05052013870_zps0f122355.jpg

buffed it up last week and it looked not to bad

tank1_zps04c64935.jpg

They remind me of a Honda [ style] 250 in the late 70"s , think it was a single with twin exhaust head.. RS250 maybe,, :eusa_think:

• 3 weeks later...

Is that the XS with the single spine frame ? Looks very like my first "Big Bike" afetr my RD125DX !

Got told it was an XS400 Sport & the only thing it had that was the same as other XS400's was the bottom of the engine!

Never knew if that was true though. Great bike though. Loved it as it was such a good bike to move upto from the RD.