help needed please oils gone grey

madrevs
This post is 3819 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Drained the gearbox oil today out of my dtr125 after riding it home from work and the oil thsts come out was grey is this normal or should I be worried dont know the last time it was changed.thanks oh and bike runs and rides spot on other than the tick over issue but thats sorted just waiting for bits

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

grey sounds like alloy in the oil :shakeno:

was there any bits/chunks in the waste?

I use ATF in the Gilera and that's red.

No " the oil gets black when old,,, that grey is alloy, so sumthin is rubbing, i had this once . it turned out to be a small spring had let go . dropped into the primary gear, and got mashed to a grey pulp ....so somthin has moved in there,,, :yeah:

Have got a funnel with a filter in it so will filter it through later tonight and see what turns up in the gauze.its a dark grey colour.as the bike is still running spot on can I flush it a few times with fresh oil and then carry on using it as I dont know alot about strippibg bottom half of engine

yeh flush it thru, no need for bottom end strip, its side cover off , could be clutch plates screeving on cover,,, if someone gas fitted pattern parts...

Dont remove cover unless you have a new gasket . or at least a tube or instant gasket.. as old one may tear...

flush and xhange oil just know, then look at oil in 100mls . to see if still grey...as you say shes running good,

order a new gasket , so your prepared,,, :yeah:

gear oil has different properties than engine oil. For one its specific for gears and the increased compression loading on gears.

Also gear oil foams less. Foaming comprises of air rather than oil, which is not good for protection.

yes I know 4 strokes have combined gear and engine oil but the engine is designed with baffles plates etc.

I personally would use engine oil on a 2 stroke.

Ok will use the 10w40 thanks for advice I have 1l of 10w40 in garage and have also got 5l of 5w30 fully synthetic which I was going to use for the car.would it do it any harm to fill it with 5w30 get it up to temperature then repeat. Then fill with 750 ml of the 10w40

I'd advise against Instant Gasket, purely from having seen it go wrong on numerous vehicles. I had to spend ages scrubbing my own side cover after a previous owner fucked it up. Horrible stuff...!!

Ok will use the 10w40 thanks for advice I have 1l of 10w40 in garage and have also got 5l of 5w30 fully synthetic which I was going to use for the car.would it do it any harm to fill it with 5w30 get it up to temperature then repeat. Then fill with 750 ml of the 10w40

sorry I meant NOT use engine oil :eusa_doh: (forgot me glasses)

clutch will slip with car oil in.

Havent put it in yet used to have a rd125 lc and tzr and always used 10w40 engine oil in that what gear oil do u recommend we do 80w90 but 2 types gl4 and gl5 what type would u use

As I've said, i use dev111 atf fluid in the Gilera

need to check the specs for your bike, could be a straight weight or multi

yamaha recommend a 10w30 engine oil according to haynes and has 10w30 stamped on engine casing.is this different to a normal car oil.sorry when u said gear oil i thought u meant something like ep80w90 or atf aqm fluid.thanks

yamaha recommend a 10w30 engine oil according to haynes and has 10w30 stamped on engine casing.is this different to a normal car oil.sorry when u said gear oil i thought u meant something like ep80w90 or atf aqm fluid.thanks

please use a bike oil, there are friction modifiers in car oil with will cause your clutch to slip.

if the recommendation is 10w 30 I'd be happy to put that in

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=400572874270

I used this in mine, works fine.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online