Handle bar grips!

slice
This post is 3857 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Did anybody else have this, or similar, and did they get over it quickly? Or is it just we're too girly to ride bikes?

I have massive hands anyway but am also used to Cruiser grips, so adding the Puppies on actually meant elimination of cramp from trying to hold grips that were too thin for me.

It's also far easier to control the bike and I can just lightly rest an angled right hand on the throttle, gripping only with thumb and little finger.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

You ride with only your thumb and little finger? that sounds bloody awkward! What do you do with the other 3 finger take them off and keep them warm in your pocket ?

Mybe Katie has some Lobster lineage in her :eusa_whistle:

You ride with only your thumb and little finger? that sounds bloody awkward! What do you do with the other 3 finger take them off and keep them warm in your pocket ?

With bike stationary and in Neutral, or better yet switched off, sit on and take a normal grip on the throttle.

Relax your hand a bit and then twist it clockwise. You should feel tension on your thumb and little finger. Use this to operate the throttle.

If it helps, rest your first three fingers on the front brake lever.

With a bit of practice, you can use this for hill starts without relying on the back brake. I'm told it's an advanced riding technique, but since I've never done IAM or anything, it's just something I've ended up being able to do.

Obviously you won't ride like this all the time. Mainly those moments when you're just covering the front brake. Also, more control than just pinching between the thumb and metacarpophalangeal joints...

Ok I see where your coming from now Tasky, but I think Katie might be having a hand size problem when she is going slow, don't think this will help her much but she won't know till she tries it I suppose.

There is no reason to grip the handlebars very tightly, even around town and in heavy traffic. It's just a bad habit you need to shake. Nor should you go the other extreme and have a very loose grip. Just find a happy, comfortable medium. And I don't think it's a hand size issue, you'd need the hands of a 5 year old to have trouble with the grip puppies.

Well, my throttle hand is ok but the clutch is a bitch...

newborn-picture-ideas-little-hands-contr

Oh, and my lobster heritage is only noticeable in the sun :babyha:

• Like 1

Katie, just had a thought about your problem with grip size, have you tried one of those adjustable brake/clutch levers, I have them on my Suzuki and they are great if you want to adjust the travel and power on either of the levers. I think you can pick them up new for about £15 on ebay, might be worth a try as not a lot of money and really gives you a good feedback when you use them. They have a rotating knob thingy that lets you adjust the lever throw usually has about 4 settings, number 1 is for those with loooooong fingers and number 4 is for those that are finger challenged.

They're on the list!

These seem to be getting goodish reviews

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-CLICKS-Adjustable-Brake-Clutch-Levers-Yamaha-XJ6-DIVERSION-09-13-Long-/171101497710?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item27d671a96e

The 7 click adjuster seems to give a good spread of positions to choose from (massively stupid choice of words on a bike forum but hey). The real trick is if I can adjust the clutch level enough not to lose the biting point (city riding not fun without one of those!)?

That's the thing I was thinking off Katie, although the price is pretty stupid, as you say gives you a good spread position (I know, it's not my fault ok!) and you can adjust up or down depending where you are and what your doing (this is getting awkward now) time for me to go away. :icon_redface1:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online