Handle bar grips!

slice
This post is 3824 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just some advice if you would be so kind, I want to change my grips and there are so many out there that it's a joke trying to make up my mind. I really like the soft spongy ones but not to sure about how well they will last but the ones on the bike at the moment, which are just bog standard rubber ones, make my hands tingle after a longish run, have any of you got a suggestion as to what might suit and what do you use? Also would like to put some bar end weights on so any thoughts you have would be welcome, NOT YOU FOAMY anyone who wears a mankini is pretty suspect in my book.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try some Grip Puppies. I have some on the FJ myself.

Basically neoprene-type slip-ons for your existing rubber grips. Cost about £12-16.

They are firm enough for grip, soft enough for comfort and bulk up the thinness of non-Cruiser grips quite nicely. They also work over heated grips, too.

Put a bit of washing-up liquid on the inside and then just work them onto your bar grip. Once they're on and the liquid dries, they are solid as fuck. It's kinda like putting on a condom that's already unrolled! :lol:

http://www.grip-puppy.co.uk

Check out the website... and then coo over the CUTE AS HELL pic of the little puppies on the guy's hand!!

Amazon have them, but AFAIK they don't actually come in different sizes for different models. One size fits all and you just trim the length down with a Stanley knife once they're on tight.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grip-Puppies-Throttle-Motorcycle-CoverCover/dp/B00F6S7ER8/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1379690754&sr=1-6&keywords=grip+puppy

the above do tend to wear thin in no time at all then look shabby.. only my opinion from some simular ones i had on my mountain bike..

the above do tend to wear thin in no time at all then look shabby.. only my opinion from some simular ones i had on my mountain bike..

That's why I recommended the GPs. They're not just cheap crap. They're designed to last through very heavy daily use on courier bikes... I've not yet done 150,000 miles on my bike but those I know who have heartily recommend them.

Dunno what they're made from, but they're DAMN good!

Also, even if they do wear out after 20,000 or so, they're cheap enough and only take 5 minutes to put new ones on.

The soft spongey ones are good, the old man has them on his 'Guzzi to damp down vibrations and they do a good job, have been on there for the past couple of years.

my XZ also has them, they've been on there for many more years but it was barn stored, have yet to try them on the road.

Thank you all, nice find Tasky, I will get some today. Amazon price £15.99 be here on Monday, great.

the other problem was they soaked up water..

Mine don't really seem to, no.

They hold a little bit, but they don't even seem through my gloves, which get more wet just from brushing the rain off the tank.

GRIP PUPPIES arrived today, they are brilliant!!! Thank you Tasky for the info, bit of washing up liquid and they went on with no trouble at all. Makes throttle response much better to.

Great, ain't they!! ;)

Yeh....Grip Puppies are the biz! I would prefer to Grip Pussies though!

No no no... you grip the puppies, while feeding the pussy. Did they not teach you *anything* at Biker School?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I realise that I am just asking for trouble, following this one but have a question.

Bought some Grip Puppies off Ebay (£13.99 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grip-Puppies-/200830685104?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2ec2710fb0 ) and fitted them on Sunday to our bikes. Was pleased to find out that fitting was actually easier than the video on youtube made out! :hyper:

Anyway, we took them for a bit of a run that afternoon and found out several effects:

1. Massive reduction in vibration through the bars

2. Better grip (dur) gave more control

3. Thumbs now feel like they've been broken and reset, badly

4. Shoulders are killing me

The first two are great results but not so keen on the second two :shakeno: Did anybody else have this, or similar, and did they get over it quickly? Or is it just we're too girly to ride bikes?

Hi Katie, I was wondering about the size of the grips myself, when you first use them they seem massive and your trying to grip the bars the same way as you did before but if you relax your hands on the bars rather than trying to strangle a cat it gets much easier, just persevere with them and you should be ok, remember your not trying to grasp the bars with all your strength but gently guide the bike. I found that it was a much better experience without the vibration.

Makes sense, thanks Slice. Managed the 'relaxing grip' bit on the open road, it was riding through towns and stuff (loads of clutch, some brake :eusa_shifty: ) that was the killer. Will have to practice the Status Quo dance and try and get some strength in my thumbs!

Katie, I see what you mean about in town riding but again I suppose it depends on how big your hands are, I have large mitts but suppose you have "girl" sized hands and as such there is always going to be a problem with handle bar grip size, not sure there is an answer to your problem really, I suppose you could cut your old grips off and then put smaller grip puppies on, or just uninstall the grips you have now remove the old grips from the bars and then reinstall the ones you have! I'm afraid there is never a solution that will fit all people but it might be worth a try?