No tension in clutch lever - WR400F - Advice needed.

alex_xtr
This post is 3901 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'd like to thank airhead, blackhat and dt for their advice (and sorry to slightly hijack alex's thread), I managed to install the pressure plate correctly this time! With the draggie, there isn't one way the pp can go on, but there's a hex shaped hole in the middle. Under the nut and washer that attaches the plate to the pushrod, there's another nut thingy that has to fit through this hole. I somehow missed this - I was working on the bike for 5-6hours straight by that time - 3 or 4 of which was spent getting the front exhaust off! Went back in this morning and all is well now! Loving my new non-slipping-much-stiffer-at-the-lever-due-to-aftermarket-springs clutch! Cheers guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not at all Toutesuite, I'm glad this forum is of use to others!

I will take out the clutch boss tomorrow.

These are the following steps as I understand it -

1. Set up the clutch holding tool as shown in pic below (not my bike, image of google)

DSC01873_zps505c79de.jpg

2. Get a 27mm socket to fit over the center nut.

3. Lefty loosy - except I'm not sure how easy this will be until I try it, do I just get someone to push down on the rear brake lever to keep the bike halted and then give it alot of leverage to loosen it?

no you hold it still with the clutch tool

you may have to bend back a locking tab washer before you can get your socket on

But 'Hey Alex' why do you need to disassemble the clutch centre?

cant you get at the broken screw with some mole grips and simply unscrew it?

Glad to see you benefitted from this thread toutsuite

Ya dont bother taking the basket out just remove the bolt,as I said they are not under stress the bolt will just simply turn out if you can get something to grip it.It's been living in oil it's whole life so not going to be frozen from corrosion.

try a smaller dril bit with your drill in reverse,most likely it will turn right out no hassel. DON"T make a simple job hard.

Seems this past week we have had a rash of clutch bolt/ pressure plate install problems a old saying comes to mind " look before you leap" might fit this????

I don't see how I can remove the bolt without taking out the basket, see what I mean through the picture below -

photo1_zps420926b8.jpg

This is whats left of the bolt that isn't stuck inside the chamber -

photo2_zps6aa8785e.jpg

Also, the washer lock that sits behind the big nut has been mangled as can be seen in the below picture. Obviously I'll have to replace it, but do you think this will be an issue when removing the nut?

photo3_zpsded11ec0.jpg

Untitled_zpse536e070.jpg

The washer is suposed to be bent like that.

Hallebloodylujah! After 20 minutes or so of patiently turning the bolt round it came out. A quick trip down to the nuts and bolts man and I've got 5 shiny new bolts to replace them. :spin2: The compression springs are worn below the limit. My local bike garages don't have any so I have to order them online which will take days.

Thanks again for all your help, with a little luck I'll be riding it this weekend! :thumb:

I took this of me starting it up for the first time after months of headaches -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3pTnpP-9sU

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online