Barely used 2nd hand bike - what to look for

mr-ym
This post is 3919 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey

After finally sorting out the steering on my 125, a guy from work is getting rid of his Ducati Monster 696, and I'm thinking of taking it (blasphemous i know, i'm really sorry). He bought it about 18 months ago brand new as his first bike but basically rode it for about 400 miles and was too scared of it, so has barely used it. He's giving it to me real cheap, but I'm just wondering what the main things I need to look out for are. I presume I should change the fuel in the tank (not sure if he used a stabiliser) and I have bought a trickle charger as the battery is dead (I guess that might need to be replaced having been used so little), but what other things are there? He's kept it covered at all times, but it has been outdoors not in a garage.

Cheers

Yus

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Full service history, Standard (aftermarket exhausts are good though). Evidence of when the belts were changed last.

Check the exhaust for rust or holes, they cost a bloody fortune to replace, anything that moves really, wheel bearings should be ok but check them anyway. If you like it buy it other than that, they are a nice bike BUT they are expensive to repair and like anything Italian they DO NOT like the rain or damp, they will rot right out from under you if you don't take care of them. Your going from a 125 to a 696??? your braver than me !!!! These things are FAST with a capital F A S T, be prepared to wave goodbye to your licence.

Yeah its only done 400 miles, so hopefully its all OK. Yes i think I'm getting very lucky, just gotta take it easy to start with and get used to the extra power, weight etc.

How long can petrol safely sit in a tank before it causes issues? I've heard that it can mix with the moisture in the air and if you then run that through your engine, it can cause big issues

XT125 R: 0-60mph in 22.6 seconds

Duke 696: 0-60mph in 4 seconds

Be fucking careful... and I DO mean that.

The petrol at the moment have about 10% ETHANOL in it, once that vapours out it can leave water at the bottom of the tank so you need to drain whatever is in it out before you run any fuel through the motor, best just to recycle it at your local tip, then flush the tank out with fresh fuel before you fill it with new fuel, that should do it really, check the old fuel for crap and particles that might be in it cos that will bung up your tank inner filter.

At 400 it is due for it's first valve adjustment and that can get costly/involved on a duck,beauty bike but I'd never own one.

You have been warned it's ducking fast so keep your head when you first ride it,it will break most every speed limit in first gear.

• 3 weeks later...

Owning a Ducati could be pricely to maintian, parts can cost an arm and a led. Before buying it check the timing belt, shocks and suspensions service record if any and most of all for any accidental drops or repairs.

Hi

On the subject of the cost of Duke servicing pts and stuff, if you live near to Eye in Peterborough give BSD Performance a try, The owner is pretty much a wizz with all bikes and has a passion for Dukes. they 996'd this Biposto conversion fitted kevlar belts and modified pulleys at a reasonable cost

429263_2364421128768_1833951373_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online