Battery fooked?

finnerz89
This post is 3946 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Had some trouble tonight with the bike, came to start it after the weekend, battery was flat!

Completely dead, not even dim lights on the dash.

So bumped it, and took my charger to work, plugged in charger on but not charging. Thinking it's knackered, maybe from being left in the sun all weekend?

Only thing I can think of.

Any thoughts?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

usually frost/cold damage that does them in... :eusa_think:

my charger wont recognise a completely flat battery, sometimes i have to connect another battery in parallel for a few minutes just to get it to recognise there is a battery there, but if your bike was running and charging it should put atleast some charge in the battery.

put a voltmeter on it and measure the voltage drop over a 12 hour window

Knackered reg/rec not charging battery?

Not sure, bike runs ok. Seems like I'll need to get a new battery so will have to see!

usually frost/cold damage that does them in... :eusa_think:

my charger wont recognise a completely flat battery, sometimes i have to connect another battery in parallel for a few minutes just to get it to recognise there is a battery there, but if your bike was running and charging it should put atleast some charge in the battery.

put a voltmeter on it and measure the voltage drop over a 12 hour window

Yeah mines a fandangled trickle charger that supposedly charges batteries from flat but it doesn't seem to be charging!

Been checking the voltage every now and then so will see what happens

Anyway the battery never charged, so had to bump it this morning to get home, ended needing a hand from a mate lol.

Went out for a ride after work, bikes running ok so back home to try charging again.

Your trick is working foamy!

Heh heh. You gotta love a kickstart......

Seriously check your voltage while the bike is running. Batteries can die but it could just be a fuse.

Yeah checked it at idle, was putting out around 12.5 to 13V.

Definitely considering fitting a kick start now haha.

Test it while you increase the revs, as well. Should rise to about 14 (IIRC), if everything is working.

Just checked it again after refitting the battery, 14.2v now so looking good I think.

Just got to wait and see if it holds charge

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online