New to everything

This post is 3958 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bought an 82 yamaha xs400 maxim last weekend. Starts easy and runs good and looks nice... But has a few issues. I'm not much of a mechanic but will be by the time it's fully restored. so far, I've just cleaned it up and changed the oil & filters .Next I got to figure out why the front brake doesn't work . I bled the master cylinder; filling the lil harbor freight bottle twice, but it only helped a little. I think I really need to find a manual. Don't want to spend $80 on flea bay and thought I might come across a free download here.

This is my first visit to this site and looking forward to doing some newbie research.

Thanks,

Scott

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Welcome to the YOC, no free downloads I'm afraid it's illegal?? but I'm sure that someone will have advice on what you need to do, the best bet really is to buy the manual or get a digital download from one of the sites on the net, not ideal but copyright law takes no prisoners I'm afraid and they will close us down if we start giving out copyrighted stuff. :jossun:

I was sure its your right to have a manual with your motorcycle... for free, like any driver for a PC soft or hardware... now i`m not so sure.

Hi scott while we can't help with the manual end of this,starting a post in workshop about how to fix front brakes/bleed brakes then we can help guide you.

For a first post nice to sse you at least said something about your ability's and not just HELP ME. We get alot of one hit wonders who get help never say thankyou and bugger off so new members should contribute to other sections like the joke page and what made you laugh today if you intend to hang around.and the sites other members form the USA could use some more company

So you need to figure out wether the caliper is stuck or the master is not making pressure or the line has collapsed. .Start a thread in workshop the xs 400 is well known by members so you should get lots of help.

Heya chap!!

The Owners Manual that comes with a new bike, sure. You can usually just Google those as free pdfs, or occasionally find them on the Yamaha Websites for free download. Depends on the year, as I think Yammie only feature 1996 bikes onward.

The actual papaer versions should only be a few bucks on eBay or something.

There is also a Haynes manual (known as Clymer in the US), which is 'an Owner's Guide to Maintenance and Servicing'. Pretty good and cover most common makes of bike from most years. Expect maybe $30-40 for a brand new plastic-sealed one... Whatever £20 equates to today.

Downloads are around, but that's the copyrighted content mentioned above.

Lastly, there is the Workshop Manual, ie the official book from Yamaha that every mechanic will use to service your bike and check the details in. These *do* cost, which is probably what the $80 ones were. If not a Workshop Manual, they were overcharging!!

Again, free pdfs can be found if you look, but we can't legally direct you to them.

Then again, ask nicely and members here who can, will try and help.

Welcome to the forum!

HI jso I own a 82 xs400, which would be a secca 400 to you, this is mechanically speaking the same bike as yours

as dt50 said start a thread in workshop and I'll share what bit of knowledge I have.

Welcome to yoc and good luck with the bike

ps you may get a Manuel on disk on ebay for a friction of the cost this is for my bike but mechanically same as yours

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-XS400-1982-Workshop-Service-Manual-/130940963641?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litterature_ET&hash=item1e7cb08b39

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online