Xvs125 dragstar

Timmygardiner
This post is 3968 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi folks,

I am thinking of doing the CBT this summer and getting myself a little 125 cruiser. I'm really drawn to the dragstar 125. I'm 5'7"/5'8" never really driven a motorbike in my life and will only be using for nice weekend rides and things like that. I would appreciate any input by owners/previous owners and just anyone who has any knowledge of the bike. Thanks in advance :)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You may want to pop along to the new members section which can be found on the first page or via this link LINKY. People get much better answers to questions once they have said hello. Just tell us a bit about yourself.

I have never owned one of these bikes but they do seem popular. Low seat, big bike looks and most spares seem to be available. Don't expect too much speed, but with a cruiser, that's not the point anyway.

You don't drive a motorcycle... you ride it!!

125 Drag = BRILLIANT ride!
If you like Cruisers and want to get started with yer CBT, this is the one. Good size for you as well.

However, it is still just a 125, lightweight and flippy, will not handle being pushed like a big bike. Take it easy, plan your moves and don't expect too much from it.

You will eventually want something bigger... fortunately, the Dragstar comes in 650cc, which is a great step-up and an amazing ride!

The XVS 125 is a great bike and the best looking 125 cruiser, however the Honda Shadow VT 125 has more HP and will go slightly faster (doesn't look as good though)

Owned my dragstar 125 for about 2 years now and I love it. I previously has a yamaha ybr 125 for a couple of years and the dragstar is a lot more fun. The riding position is really very comfortable, I can ride for hours with no complaints.

A few observations about the dragstar:

It does not have a lot of HP behind it and is relatively heavy for a 125, so keep in mind that over-taking someone on this thing takes a while, you need to give yourself ample time to get around them.

The bike is comparatively wide to many other 125s I have seen and used, because of this it makes filtering through traffic a lot more difficult. My old YBR could slip through gaps that the dragstar can only dream of. You mention it will only be used for weekend riding though so I doubt it will be too much of a problem for you!

Go for it, you will love it!

Hi there,

I'm looking to buy a dragstar 125 the next few months as a bit of a project so of you could let me know what it's like to ride, I've heard nothing but good things so far.

Also, if anybody who owns one or used to knows where I can buy some decent black wheels for it that don't cost almost the price of the bike, that'd be helpful!!!! I've seen nice black rims on the 650 and want something similar for the 125...

Can you not paint the rims yourself?

The XVS125 is really a fantastic little bike.

Done a nice little trip to Colchester the other day with a mate on his Cagiva Mito (Avoid them >.>) as he needed some parts from a brakers and it held up fantastically.

I'm 5'8 and 10st and it hit 60 (Had to it 70mph when laying on the tank overtaking a truck that was at 55mph) but as long as you don't need to overtake often it's great.

It is however easy to get bullied off the road on a cruiser with L plates I find. I had to take a bit more of an assertive riding style to stop people taking the piss and this is where my mate on the Mito excelled as it has a lot of pull on it.

It's comfortable on a long ride, doesn't rattle at full whack and is a joy to take around country roads.

The only thing I would suggest is Kevlar Jeans instead of the armored textiles I wear. The airbox sits out quite substantially and knee padding can push your right leg out a bit.

Has a bit of storage underneath the seat, enough for a tool kit (Should never need it) an extra high vis incase of brakedown (I hang it on the bike if I have any issues on A roads such as cut outs etc not that it has ever happened on this bike)

With a pannier support rack and a back box you'll have a tonne of storage space if you plan on taking it for a little bit of touring/camping etc.

Just keep her covered, the chrome doesn't like rain and keep it polished (Brasso works wonders) and it'll take time to get used to where the speedo is located as it's on the fuel tank.

Hope this helps :)

Ttaskmaster, yeah I could spray them mate, and to be fair after looking up my options on google probably will, it's just that I'm not a big fan of the multitude of spokes in the rims on the originals and wanted to find something similar to the stock ones on the 650

Err... the 650 and 1100 also have spoked wheels.

I know - I have 2 in my garage... along with a really shitty NTV. Someone else's project though, so not my concern!

Haha, after I get my other half to do me a photobucket thingy ( I'm a cave man when it comes to tech ) I'll upload a pic to show you what I'm on about mate

Spoke wheels are the dogs bollocks, i love them and seeing as my 650 has died when i rebuild it im gunna get some nice stainless steel spokes put in so cleaning is easier

Chucked a few pics up in the general area folks

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm a wheel post turns to valve timing...............

I Have had my Dragstar 125 for a couple of weeks now and love it, it feels like a proper bike under you rather than a bicycle with an engine, as said, it is not fast but 55-60 is usual, no one believes it is a 125 as it looks so much bigger. I have owned many bikes, most of them a lot bigger but this one is still a joy to own. Go for it

I've had my Drag 125 for a few months now and I love it.
Had a Suzuki intruder before this and the Drag outshines it by far (my old VL was a lemon though).

I'm only 5'8", 10.5 stone and it's a perfect size for me. Not even thinking of upgrading at some point.
The guys are right, it's not that much kick to it compared to the big boys but it is a "125cc cruiser".

Don't think about speed or acceleration on this bike. I've had mine to about 70 though in good conditions, fast enough for me.

Comfortable & easy to ride long or short distances.

Love mine and am just now beginning to customise it to my tastes (going for an orange/black motif).

My advice is get one right away!

Spoke wheels are the dogs bollocks, i love them and seeing as my 650 has died when i rebuild it im gunna get some nice stainless steel spokes put in so cleaning is easier

No cleaning spokes is still a big time ball ache even with stainless spokes they just resist rust better thats all.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online