Displaying Number Plates in UK

Grave
This post is 4014 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi folks,

can anyone tell me if it is legal to display a number plate on the side (facing the rear of course) in the UK? been having a look through the UK GOV and DVLA sites and although it doesnt specify you can, it doesnt specify you cant either as far as i can see.

just double checking as over here in QLD most cruiser/harley riders have theirs on the side despite it being technically illegal so when i had my bobber conversion done i had my plate on the rear which unfortunately ruins the aesthetics a little.

Grave(ly perplexed)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

I don't know for sure but I do remember landrovers used to have square number plates mounted on the r/h rear wing so the tailgate could be left down,

and many of the UK military Landrovers also had number plates mounted the same way,

You could always say the number plate was mounted behind the rear of the sidecar but the sidecar fell off,

• Like 1

Hi Grave, I think you will find that it says, Motorcycles registered AFTER 1st Sept 2001 require a plate on the rear of the vehicle only, now correct me if I'm wrong but any thing past the mid point is the rear and it don't matter if it's to one side or not. I would think that you will have no problem with a side mounted plate as long as it is well TOWARDS the rear.

P.S just got this from a mate, The plate MUST be mounted (side mounts) on the right no further forward than the swing arm spindle, but most of this type are for the US market and so are LEFT side mounts but he has NEVER had a problem with it being on the left side nor has he ever been stopped and asked to move it. Hope some of this helps? :jossun:

Saw a few today in the motorcycle park, so I guess its permissable (as opposed to illegal)

my plate angles nearly horizontal and have not been stopped yet (and it passed the MOT)

i had a left hand side mounted number plate on my cb550 chop...

SDC10099_zpsd292a313.jpg

then i got pissed off with smaking it and whacking my leg on it as i rolled it in and out of the gate so put it to a standard type posisiton

P231110_1113.jpg

only pic i got, but the added bonus was it stopped a lot of the crap flying up off the back wheel.

Mine is mounted to the left side of the bike and again ive never been pulled for it. As long as the plate is visible then your be fine

Harley sell their own side mounts for their bikes, so to me that would suggest it's fine - as long as the actual number plate conforms to all the legal sizes & colours etc. Had a friend with a black & silver (classic style) plate on a side mount and all she got told to do was put a legal plate on it (yellow) cos her bike wasn't old enough to qualify for the old style.

I think it just has to be clearly visible from the rear and must have a number plate light :)

YOU can have as many plates as you want with different numbers , as long as the real number is a illuminated at night. The number plate is a customs and exicse offence ,not a road traffic one.

Mine is an old office chair arm that i found in a skip at work. Cleaned it up painted it and it looks like a proper bracket and cost me fook all