Electrical Issue

jimmy
This post is 4024 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Alright folks

On the way to college yesterday my son stopped his bike to phone his mate. Call finished, the bike would not turn over, but all lights and horn worked. I was at work so couldnt look it over. He left it for a few minutes and hey presto the bike started.

Later on on the way home from Tai Kwondo he stopped at the chippy, and same issue not turning over. Same again a few minutes later it started.

I went out this morning and checked all electrical connections which seemed fine and we started and stopped the bike on a number of occasion but could not replicate the fault.

So the bike will start and run ok, but if stopped, seems to lose summit. I was thinking either kill switch or sidestand switch issue. Anyone any ideas.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Cheers

He's just went out to the garage and the bike wouldn't turn, He moved the kill switch back and forth and off it went.

I'm getting ready for nights, so tomorrow I'll disconnect the killswitch to see if that eliminates the problem.

Does anyone know of the stuff you get for cleaning leccy switches, I'm having a brain freeze

Called elbow grease. Open it up and clean all the contacts with wire wool. The cans of squirt are a real poor second.

contact cleaner is the word your looking for then a dose of Water Displacement 40

Well got up after a couple of hours sleep from nights and went out to the bike.
Same symptoms, no cranking. Using the manual and a multimeter I fumbled my way through the tests. All appeared to be in order., so I dismantled the r/h switch to check the killswitch. It is a new switch so all connections looked ok. I cleaned them up a bit and checked the continuity between the points. All ok.
Anyway a bit puzzled, I reassembled all the parts and tried it. It fired up. Switched it off, sat on the bike, tried it again....Nowt. I'm starting to think sidestand switch so, still sitting on the bike, I leaned it over to put some weight on the stand and off it went. Tried it again and nowt. Still holding in the starter switch I sat the bike upright and off it went. Hmm thinks I. I tried the starter with the bars facing straight ahead...nowt I moved the bars slightly to the right and off it went. I repeated this a number of times and each time the bike fired up, so my diagnosis is a loose wire at the starter button. I had checked the killswitch, but never looked at the lower part of the switchgear. Anyway getting ready for nights, so I will look at that tomorrow.

On showing this to my boy, he asks if this could be related to the bike being blown over on Thursday night. Twas very windy and a gust of wind blew the bike over on the righthand side. Hopefully that has dislodged summit obviuos and I'll see it tomorrow.

Right

Traced the fault to a broken wire where the harness goes through the steering head. It's the blue/white wire from the starter button and it connects through a multi plug, so...... anyone have a link to buying some multi plug connectors. I have some spades and bullets, but nowt small enough for fitting in the multi

If your stuck just bypass the multiplug. Cut the wire from each side of the plug. Put the repair in the loom and recconect at the multiplug with spades or bullets.

Tape the connection to the multiplug. Then the next owner will see whats happened.

Cheers folks, I'm back at work so will sort it out my next set of 4 off

Update

Got my Bonnie MOT'd today and when t'lad came home from college I went out to look at the bike. Up until today it was starting if you moved the bars about indicating a loose/broken wire, however when leaving college it point blank refused to start. A quick bump and away it went. So I bit the bullet and disconnected the mess that resembles spaghetti junction behind the headlight, thinking I should mark all these wires or at least take some pics on the phone.....ach no says I, I'll remember.....

Anyway I pull the harness through the headlamp shell and starts pulling the outer covering off and just at the point where the lot goes through the frame there is the offending item. A cleanly broken black (earth) wire. Joined it together and plugged the starter circuit back together....Yipee success, off she went. So I taped up the harness using some amalgamating tape I had lying around and fed it back through the headlamp shell. I connected all the blocks together and then tried to remember where all the others went (no they weren't colour coordinated), after about an hour I had it all working and the bike is back together again, so now its Beer time as I'm now off for a few days

Hopefully thats the end of that wee saga

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online