dt engine/swingarm bolt

ahaywood93
This post is 4143 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

ive un bolted everything needed i can move the swing arm up nd down and put a socket on the right side of the bolt and spin it but it just wont tap out when i stick a wooden block on the thread side it just digs into the wood and won t budge i dont want to hammer it because i want the thread to be fine i can even move the engine around a bit in the frame its doing my head in any suggestions? ive attacked it with a can of wd40 and going to leave it over night and try again in the morning if i do have to go mad with it and ruin the thread are they easy to buy second hand? i have no idea why its being so stubborn the engine does look like it hasnt been cleaned in 10 years tbh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

you could use a copper drift to tap it out, the copper is soft so shouldnt damage the threads too much, either that or use a wooden block on top of the thread and hammer the block instead

Make sure you have adequate bracing on the other side too... or that brute force will be for naught. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

first time in ages ive had chance to do some work because of the rain the thread sideis now flush with the swingarm and out of that side of the frame but it wont go any more i can lift the engine front of the engine inches higher than the bolt hole it even moves around but the bolt just dont seem to wanna move its doing my head in i think im going to have to cut it but i cant get a cutting tool in to do it any ideas?

Try puttin lots of oil on it and drive it back in and then back out, working it back and forth will free it up eventualy.Probably need a long punch to drive it out once flush with the frame.

Knock the bolt back in to check that youve not"mushroomed" the threaded end of the bolt over. If you have, its not gonna pass through until youve filed the mushroom off. Some times, if youre part way out, a little more weight drops onto the bolt as the assembly "crabs". Try to keep the holes all aligned up as youre stripping

got it out and the threads all in one piece engine came out so easy after that! ive spent hours getting the piston parts out so happy i don't have to split the engine, managed to find and get the bigger parts out then i filled the crank with 2 stroke and the smaller parts raised to the top then i poured it out going to do that a few more times to be on the safe side but it turns over perfect! had chance to clean the engine up it looks so much cleaner now going to order a piston kit and hopefully she starts! :spin2:

1357142341856_zps7577e004.jpeg

1357142382353_zps5c5bb601.jpeg

1357142328705_zps298035a4.jpeg

1357135094893_zpsaa5222c2.jpeg