Restricted Licence Bikes

Grouch
This post is 4197 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have just been thinking about people who have restricted

their bikes because of their licence. I am wondering if anybody

actually sticks to having their bike restricted or just removes

the system/device as soon as they have had it fitted and

got their certificate. It must be very tempting to do this, I bet

a lot of people just fuck it off, especially younger ones.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I left my XVS1300 restricted for the 2 years... Even at 33bhp it was much better than the 12 of my XVS125. Then it was like having a new bike after 2 years...

Anyone thinking of not sticking to their restriction needs to remember they're not insured.

It looks like under the new rules from Jan the restriction of any bike will no longer be allowed but it'll be limited to cc size (about 300cc from what I read in 'Bike')

The new rule will be limited to 45bhp not engine size, Honda are releasing a cbr500 (which looks very nice) for this reason.

I had my restrictors on for less than an hour, to be honest it didnt seem to make that much difference as the bike was putting out around 45bhp so only a loss of 12bhp. I honestly prefer the new rule, i didnt like that people could restrict a 120bhp r6 to 33bhp, made no sense to me.

How do restrictors work, I suppose they are different types?

Im on a restricted ER6N. Its restricted via the ECU and a thottle stop. Older bikes can be restricted through the exhaust/carb (i think).

I doubt a lot of people will leave their bikes restricted. I mean will traffic police

bother to check a bike if they have pulled it over for speeding or having no

brake lights. I bet a lot of coppers don't even know about them.

My bike was just a simple throttle stop, took literally 5 mins to remove. Some bikes have carb rubbers which are also easy to remove but cost a lot more to have fitted.

With regards to the police, if they saw a 650 supermoto on the road why would they think 'that bike should be restricted'? Even if they did pull me over would they know how to tell if it was restricted our not on the road side? To be honest there were other things id of been more likely to have been pulled over for such as a straight through can, tiny number plate etc.

In my case if you knew what you were looking for you could see that my bike wasnt restricted but if the restrictors inside the carb you wouldnt see it.

I know youre not supposed to do this but curiosity won me over, i was too eager to ride the bike how it should be ridden.

why don't you just go for direct exess and have done with it.

+1, if your that fussed about not having the bike restricted... Don't forget the new rules will also includetests in between each bike category too.

Also re: police not knowing they might not, but if you have a crash then the insurance company might be interested in looking over your bike (imagine the car driver saying to their insurance company "the bike was speeding as it came out of nowhere...")

Re: restriction it's 47bhp provided they don't have power to weight ratio better than 0.2kW per kg. Apparently lots of manufacturers are bringing out loads of 250-400cc bikes for this.

Crazy thing is I read the new rules are set to change again at the end of next year.

why don't you just go for direct exess and have done with it.

Haha I am, I'm 30 next month, I'm not going to fanny about with fucking

restrictions. I wouldn't do that to a bike. My insurance on my 125 is

paid up until March so I'm waiting for that to run out, then I'm getting

a 600 SuperMoto.

I was just curious about the restriction devices.

i have a little yamaha passola 50cc, the only thing i can find on this is a rubber intake on the airbox ,it restricts the inflow and the bike peters out at 30mph.

once removed you can rev it's nackers off and pin the needle to the speedo stop pin, it won't do it any good though, but it does give you a false sense of achievement

i had my bike restricted for the first year, but after that they plates came out of the carbs, in my XJ it was like washers in the intel manifold, which restriced the air/pertol going into the bike, simple enought to remove and put in yet cost 250 quid?

they washers cud be machined at home if you had the correct drawings, its a waste of money!

on the insurance side of things, if you remove them your insurance is void as its goign against your modifications, after doing my bikesafe, it was pretty much said that if you dont decliar your bike is restricted to inurance your insurance wont be void for not having them on . . . but you will be driving against your licence's type? if you get what i mean . .

the new restrictions coming into force in Jan, are just making it harder for young people to get on the road on a big bike, i dont see why they are making it harder than it already is - what would happen if they came out and said to all new car drivers they are restriced to a 1L car for 2 years ? people would be up in arms. . . .anyway, enough ranting for a monday morning :D

restricting KIDS to a smaller cc for the first two years would be a good thing. just look at the statistics.

So if someones on a cbt provisional license u can get a say 250cc and have it restricted to 33bhp say and not be breaking any laws? I always thought u was not to ride a bike with an engine size any bigger than that of a 125cc regardless the restictions you can apply...?

restricting KIDS to a smaller cc for the first two years would be a good thing. just look at the statistics.

+1

I think they should do something like this in the states. They don't even require the safety course where I live. If you can pass the written and skills test, you can ride any size bike. If you can pass the written test you can have a learner's permit (only restrictions are no passengers, no night riding, and no interstate riding). Seems dangerous to me... especially for young kids with more balls than brains.

This is of course my opinion, and we all know how opinions are... like assholes, everyone has one and thinks everyone else's stinks.

+1

I think they should do something like this in the states. They don't even require the safety course where I live. If you can pass the written and skills test, you can ride any size bike. If you can pass the written test you can have a learner's permit (only restrictions are no passengers, no night riding, and no interstate riding). Seems dangerous to me... especially for young kids with more balls than brains.

This is of course my opinion, and we all know how opinions are... like assholes, everyone has one and thinks everyone else's stinks.

Yep the same rules here and the bike wreckers is full of big cc bikes with less than 2000kms I seen a zx 14 with 26 kms. I have always said that most ppl cant ride a 125 to it's full potential but ride big cc bikes. Honestly though the selection of small cc bikes for years was quite limited here so if you wanted a sport bike you prety much started at 600cc,it's better now with the honda 125 cbr launch a few years ago and the intro of the factory suported races for the cbr125.It's been quite well recived and growing as a afforadble way of going racing. Other companys should be taking note and getting on board.It's great because it's not about how deep your pockets are and how much you spend on the bike ,its all rider skill to win.

Personaly I would like to see every new rider spend a weekend on the track honing there skills,the skills that can be learnd from a single weekend with instructors in that enviroment = years of riding on the street doing it all wrong and learning the hard way.

The only thing now from stoping kids from riding big cc bikes here is the insurance costs a 16-20 yr old will pay as much for ins to ride a 750cc as they did for the bike.

I think it more young car drivers that cause accidents, I think concerning bikes, it's mostly middle

aged men who are involved in accidents (including fatal). I may be wrong though.

+1

I'm moving to Idaho lol

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online