WR450 F

Grouch
This post is 4081 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The 250r is detuned. The 250f and 450f are not. You can buy either with or without a road kit.

The 250r as a supermoto makes a great commuter and is still very fun. Too pricey for me atm. If your going to be doing road miles the f is less viable. I've just sold my TTR 250 because I wasnt keen on doing my new jobs 35 mile round commute on it. (3miles motorway rest dual carriageway)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I have ridden all the bikes mentioned,drz ok and a big jump from your 125 you will be happy for a couple more years and very reliable but heavy for a 450.

The ttr 600 is the best choice though power everywhere with very long service intervals.You just cant beat a motor that has slowly been developed to run forever. Much easier to service than the wr line up.

I would let you ride my wr 250f and you would shit to think it's only 2x a bigger motor than your 125, My bud rides a1990 honda xr 600 and I can blow him away 1st to 6thgear when I can get the rear wheel to hook up,,,, the wr 450 426 are death machines on the road the throttle is on or off,,I almost filped the 450 over just taping the throttle to pass a bus,,,, seriously before even thinking about buying one of them try and ride one you will be so suprised at the power and you will be tearing it apart every 1000-2000 kms to check and replace valves if you ride it hard at all.My buddy has a wr450 and if he runs it more than 4 weekends of raceing without changing the valves it blows up,we have seen as much as 10 thou of strech on valve's after 4 weekends.

PS I buy valves 10 at a time and 4 head gaskets just to give you a Idea how much it cost to keep the wr250 running for a year.

So I need a bike thats long legged enough, yet I can use on the trails when I get spare time. Ive narrowed it down to drz, xt600 xr600/650, or TTR 600. TTR is dear, as can be a tidy XT. Id like an electric start so the Honda is looking slim.

The drz is.much newer in design, and can be had cheap. The E model, and SM are pokier than the plain S.

So I will probably go drz unless a very nice cheap xt comes along. Just my 2p.

I agree with dt 50.

Just a quick ? have you looked into which bike will cost the most to insure you might find the 660 is cheaper than the 450

It's 601.00 a year to ins my 1200 bandit and 424.00 for the 250

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is a big help. I know that if I get a 250 that is is no slow coach, I will be happy with it and then a few months later when I have got used to the power I will be back to where I started, wanting a faster bike. I really can't be bothered buying/selling and dealing with insurance companies. After the advice I have been given on here I now have decided that a WR would be unsuitable. I have started looking at TTR's and I really like them. I have seen a cheap one so I am making my mind up. I know the DRZ is a really good option but I think I want to stick with a Yammy.

Just a quick ? have you looked into which bike will cost the most to insure you might find the 660 is cheaper than the 450

It's 601.00 a year to ins my 1200 bandit and 424.00 for the 250

No not yet but I think your right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i went from riding a 125 to a xt600 tenere (3aj model) the power is nice and friendly the only thing is the almost 200kilos of bike weight, i am getting a wr450 for a general hack, hopefully i have made the right decision, did contemplate the TTR but not in the range of my wallet at the mo.

interesting debate pro's and cons of each of the models, very useful, as all i had considered was how much lighter the WR is compared to the tenere, thanks for making my task easier, even though i have only just joined up

I went from a dt to a ccm 644, found it fine and a lot of fun and definitely worth a look along with the ccm 404, has the drz e engine along with full wp suspension and the looks of a crf. Before i got the ccm i also wanted a wr450 but in supermoto trim but the amount of maintenance it wanted was too much for my liking just for road use, it would also be a bit too much of an animal if you wanted to just ride.

I persoanlly prefer the bigger lazier engines that also have some go but i wouldnt bother with an xt660 (just my opinion) id probably go with like i said either the ccm 644 or 604, 644 is a freewind 650 engine and the 604 a solid rotax one or id give the xr650r a look at, a worthy contender. But if you want a bike around the 400 make seriously check out the ccm 404.

I know iv not recomended any yamahas but what does it matter?

Glad you"v seen the light grouch"o , them WR450"s are an accident waiting to happen, :eusa_snooty: its the power to weight thing, off road " you"l get wheelspin, on road that could be a flip, The KLE500, -650 is also a good hack,,,

To be fair the cr500 is in a different league in terms of power, awesome machine though.

Glad you"v seen the light grouch"o , them WR450"s are an accident waiting to happen, :eusa_snooty: its the power to weight thing, off road " you"l get wheelspin, on road that could be a flip, The KLE500, -650 is also a good hack,,,

I have to admit I had my heart set on one, I really liked the look of them. But as you say an accident waiting to happen. A new inexperienced rider like me jumping form an XT 125 X (lol) to WR 450 would of most likely resulted in death, injury and/or the

death, or injury of others. After I was told about the power I did some research and quickly found that everyone was saying ther same thing..............they are too powerful for road use. I keep changing my mind as of what model to get next. Currently I want a BMW G 450 X, but most likely will change my mind before the time comes to buy a bigger bike.

Havin ridden a rz500 ,rg 500 ,gsxr 1000 busa 1300 bking1300 zx 1400 a cr500 and a kx 500+ many other very fast bikes,, the cr and kx were the most scary bikes I have ever ridden.In dirt trim you litterly cant launch the bikes in 1 st gear and 2nd gear launches results in tons of wheel spin (enough to dig your own grave) followed by the front wheel never touching the ground untill 5th.The slightest throttle input results in things happening very fast in any gear.Even on ice studded tires the power is so hard to control,If you ever get a chance to ride one of them go for it just make sure you have lots of room and you med insurance is up todate.

That bm450 is a nice looking bike and I have no idea as to how "road tuned " they are I'v never seen one in person.The 8lt tank would put me off ,,my wr250 has the large tank 12lt and it empty's quite fast. I would think that the 450 with a 8lt tank would have a fairly short rang between fill ups.Probably something like 1/3rd of the range of your 125.

Just for giglels what about stuffing a yz 250 in your 125 that would be cool :headbang: ,weight wise you wouldn't need any major suspension work if any ,the brakes could handel it.With that small rear sprocket it would be fairly road tuned and fast.

I have contemplated changing the engine. I would go for it as well if I knew it would be a straightforward job and wouldn't cost me a lot of money at the hands of a garage. I spend every day thinking about my next steps and weighing all my options up. I don't want to just jump up straight to a 600 from my 125. I want a 450 for a year and then I will move on to 6/7/800 adventure style bike. Eventually I will get a sports bike for the weekend, a sports bike would be no good to me to use everyday as a commuter. It would be very impractical and extremely uncomfortable. I like my enduro/supermoto/adventure style bikes because they are perfect for commuting every day.

Your motor mount's with brackets right? Not fixed between the rear arm?

Does the swing arm piviot bolt run through the motor ?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online