Your First Bike Adventures...

bippo
This post is 4201 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

That's one of the things I like about having a CBT - I'm having to plan some of my routes. When I jump in my car I immediately head for motorways, and if needed, then it has in-built sat nav. However convenient, it does make you lazy!

I've found myself taking wrong turns too, but I've recently bought a magnetic tank bag with a map holder which is something I'll be using for those longer trips.

Oh and you're right - it's so much cheaper than a car. My commute into work is just under 80 miles for a round trip. The YBR takes me there and back twice before I top up with £9 worth of petrol. Even then, I'm topping up so I don't get caught out, not out of necessity.

In my car I'd be putting £40 in at the same point. Not forgetting that I have to pay for parking in the car.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's one of the things I like about having a CBT - I'm having to plan some of my routes. When I jump in my car I immediately head for motorways, and if needed, then it has in-built sat nav. However convenient, it does make you lazy!

I've found myself taking wrong turns too, but I've recently bought a magnetic tank bag with a map holder which is something I'll be using for those longer trips.

Oh and you're right - it's so much cheaper than a car. My commute into work is just under 80 miles for a round trip. The YBR takes me there and back twice before I top up with £9 worth of petrol. Even then, I'm topping up so I don't get caught out, not out of necessity.

In my car I'd be putting £40 in at the same point. Not forgetting that I have to pay for parking in the car.

My commute to work is not as far as you only 16 miles round trip and I put in £10 every two week to top up which is a bonus as it would cost me £4.50 a day on the bus so it a big saving as £15 of petrol will get me 255 miles so I'm not complaning I just wish I did my cbt years ago

ive only had my dt 125 for a couple of weeks but im looking at some adventures in summer time, there is some green lanes near me (prudhoe, northumberland) that are supposed to go somewhere near scotland but i dont actually know for sure (part of the fun)

got some jerry cans and with my rucksack full of food/water ill be off - cant wait "shame i dont have a wing man to come with me :( "

ken

My commute to work is not as far as you only 16 miles round trip and I put in £10 every two week to top up which is a bonus as it would cost me £4.50 a day on the bus so it a big saving as £15 of petrol will get me 255 miles so I'm not complaning I just wish I did my cbt years ago

Likewise - I've been wanting to do mine for 10 years... What a fool for not taking the plunge earlier eh?! Never mind though, at least we've both got there in the end eh?!

ive only had my dt 125 for a couple of weeks but im looking at some adventures in summer time, there is some green lanes near me (prudhoe, northumberland) that are supposed to go somewhere near scotland but i dont actually know for sure (part of the fun)

got some jerry cans and with my rucksack full of food/water ill be off - cant wait "shame i dont have a wing man to come with me :( "

ken

Wicked - sounds like you're going to be having quite a bit of fun, I'm quite jealous!

i started on a YBR 125 back in april, and ive managed almost 4000 miles since then (6 months). and since its about £400 a year cheaper than the train, ill still be on it in the winter (at least till the snow and ice come)

i remember the first ride back from the garage, and the first few journeys after that, its a great feeling to get on the road

still not taken part in a group ride, but i suppose 4-stroke 125s are too slow for those things, so ill wait it out till im on a 600

enjoy your new bike!

i started on a YBR 125 back in april, and ive managed almost 4000 miles since then (6 months). and since its about £400 a year cheaper than the train, ill still be on it in the winter (at least till the snow and ice come)

i remember the first ride back from the garage, and the first few journeys after that, its a great feeling to get on the road

still not taken part in a group ride, but i suppose 4-stroke 125s are too slow for those things, so ill wait it out till im on a 600

enjoy your new bike!

I went with a few locals for a short ride and yes it is slow on a 125 we got about 6 miles and then the sill buggers were out of sight so I tured around and went home I got a phone call asking where I was I said in the house as if I cant see you I cant follow you you plonkers lol. when he asked where they lost me I said when you lot took off doing some break neck speed it was then it was only when they pulled over and they waited 10 min for me they thaught they would call me to see if I was ok but I was fine with a cuppa in hand and told them next time I'll start neerer the frount so they can see when they are leaving me behind and slow down to normal speeds lol

Been riding bikes since I was about 14, old field bikes, then my first road bike at 17. An xs250cw, sorry drewpy but I have nowt but bad memories with that thing, other than it got me through my test on the 27th Decmber 1981. Anyway a year later I got my first Triumph 2 weeks before my 19th birthday.

I had sold the xs about 6 months earlier and managed to pick up a honda 4/4 for £200. Got it through its mot at no extra cost, rode about for a few months then a guy in work offered me £400. I snapped his hand off. Anyway I scoured the classifieds to no avail and the Classic Bike mag gave out a list of all Brit bike dealers in the UK. Twas the days before t'internet and I sat on the phone working down this list until I got to Allan Jeffries in Shipley, who told me there was a Bonneville comin in that day. They called me back the next morning saying it was a cracker and I was on my way down. My pal took me down on his Bonnie and after a few wrong turns we arrived in Shipley, paid the money £1100 and I was the proud owner of a 1979 T140D. A great run up the road followed by 7 years of fantastic riding about GB and ireland before some cnut stole my pride and joy and left me desolate.

I have never experienced the same rush of excitement, joy and adrenalin as I did the day I picked that bike up.

as im only 14 i havent been riding a motorbike long, about a year (dirt bike) although i ride with my 2 cousins we had a hectic day in august when we were riding and my cousins bike decided it didnt want to go round a burn and threw him off, landing on a concrete brick my cousin shattered his elbow and dislocated his shoulder. and yes he was wearing full body armour but i guess thats the joys or riding :P hopefully i have more stories to tell in the near future :D

Im pretty new to the bike scene, did my CBT back in march 2011, bought a brand new Silver YBR125 (GK11 ***), did about 4000 miles in it, did my test back in May 2012 and bought myself a 2012 ER6-N, done about 2000 miles so far. Oh i did buy an RXS100 about 6 years ago to do up, but lost interest/time/money for it and sold it.

Im pretty new to the bike scene, did my CBT back in march 2011, bought a brand new Silver YBR125 (GK11 ***), did about 4000 miles in it, did my test back in May 2012 and bought myself a 2012 ER6-N, done about 2000 miles so far. Oh i did buy an RXS100 about 6 years ago to do up, but lost interest/time/money for it and sold it.

straight from a 125 to a 600? im considering it, but is it easy enough to get used to the extra pull without getting in some sticky spots?

straight from a 125 to a 600? im considering it, but is it easy enough to get used to the extra pull without getting in some sticky spots?

went out with a mate who has a yam xt 660 he offered me a go of it a while back but i lack self confidence and all i could think of was it's to big for me (only ever rode a 125) he was assuring me that it would actually be easyer to ride than my dt125 and xlr125

i eventually had a go - he was right the extra weight and torque is easy to manage and felt alot more safe your also not going up and down the gears screaming the nuts out of every gear to go anywhere.

i was on my dt screaming it up and down the gears while he was in 3rd most of the time...

needless to say im looking at a bigger bike

ken

Im 25 and on a restricted licence. I didnt have the confidence to do the direct access, but wanted to get used to the size and weight of a bigger bike. Pulling away from the showroom for the first time was such an extreme mixture of excitement and nerves, that i dont think will ever be beat.

So I finally have a worthy adventure to share!

I have wracked up over 220 miles today on my YBR. Left my house bright and early for a ridiculously foggy ride over to Buxton and down to Leek. The weather then cleared up a little while I made my way to Worcester to visit some family.

Mid afternoon I jumped back on my bike and set about heading to my parents house down in Surrey. Managed to get to Oxford before it turned dark and the remainder of my trip was spent relying on the cars ahead of me as I travelled down roads without any streetlights (the joys of shoddy YBR headlights!).

It was great fun navigating roads which I wouldn't normally take in my car. The bike did a great (and cheap) job, and didn't even moan about the luggage I chucked on her. In fact, other than a little less space for me (tail pack, tank bag and backpack), the bike still felt the same.

It rained the whole way from Worcester to my parents, which obviously made the commute a little less fun, but it didn't cause me any problems. And I have to just say, the Oxford roll top luggage I bought was brilliant - very versatile, and my contents were bone dry at the end of it, unlike my tank bag which began to suffer slightly.

So, I'm going to be working in London now for the next few days before jumping back on my steed for the ride home. I can't wait!

A928FC81-49D0-43C0-B3AA-9CC9A83CB48F-282-0000002ECBB0D7E8.jpg

My god Airhead, it was just brilliant - I love it! It's so much more fun than driving, a lot more engaging. It certainly wasn't an easy ride due to the weather, especially the fog on the Buxton to Leek road, but it's making me look forward to decent weather again. There'll be no stopping me then!

As for the bike - it's exceeded my expectations by far. It's such a runner, only me holding it back! I'd recommend one of them to anyone.

I've had plenty of field bikes when I was a kid, me and my mates were always ragging them around the local fields, and other suitable places. The first time I hit the road was when I was 16, I bought a 1981 150cc Vespa Douglas and I loved it. I used to get up at crack of dawn in the morning and go out on it all day. Living in Yorkshire I always used to go around the countryside on it, it was ace. I'd just left school, and it was summer, and I used to go cruising round on my Vespa all the time. Until one day a big hole blew in the exhaust just as I was riding past sopme horses, it wasn't very nice. It was loud as fuck and sounded horrible. After that I sold it to my mate and he took it to bits and left it to rot in his garage up until a few years ago a guy bought it and restored it. It is a very nice bike again. It is worth a lot of money as well. I think I paid £450 for it which was a bargain.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online