Clutch Cable Has Snapped FFS!

Grouch
This post is 4372 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Bang smack in the middle of a very dodgy area my clutch cable snapped and I had to push my bike home, I swear I thought I was going to get my bike jacked!

I know it seems like I'm winging every two minutes about bullshit but......... Do you think I could replace the cable myself or is it a difficult job? I really want to have a crack myself but don't have a clue or know what to expect.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

normally changing a clutch cable for a novice will take about an hour

not a difficult task to take on

just watch the way it comes off

after you've done one you'll wonder why folks pay someone to do it

very simple

good luck

Cheers that's boosted my confidence, I've ordered a new one from eBay so it should arrive in a few days. I've also ordered some new handlebars and clutch lever. There must be something dramatically wrong with me if I am incapable of fitting them lol.

you'll find as you do little jobs around the bike you learn more about it

soon you'll give anything a go

it was a clutch cable that started me off

then it was fork seals once i done them i felt i could tackle anything and i have

you go for it

keep your manual handy and you wont go wrong

Yeah changing a clutch cable is a very easy job and It should only take about 15 mins maybe less.

Quick tip: When taking out the old cable, out attach the new cable to the end of the old cable via rubber band or a similar sort of wizardry. Then when you proceed to removing the cable as you are pulling the old cable out the new one will be routed correctly in the same place as the old one connect the new one up the same way the old one was connected up.

Also for good measure add a little light oil to the cable (WD-40) This is only a personal preference as new cables are usually pre-oiled but I like to add more to stop any possible squeaks.

All is done enjoy your new clutch

P.S Why didn't you just crash it through the gears to get home?

I thought about it, but it was more or less all down hill. I did not want to damage the machine even further. Tbh I would of been better off doing that, it snapped in a well dodgy area and I was lucky to get out alive.

Thanks for the tip dogwaffer, it's things like that what will make the job go smoothly for me. I'm looking forward to tackling the job now.

You could have ridden okay in one gear, :P

my brothers cluctch lever snapped once leaving him in 1st gear for his journey home as he didnt know how to change gear without using the clutch.

On a serious note though, youll be fine changing it, its a straight forward job.

I was only a few miles away from my home, if I had been any further I would have definitely rode the thing home regardless lol

Yeh jordan " should be straight forward , Thats If the new cable is the same, i"v seen them with wrong ends , adjusters to short, measure it against old one,,,

Thanks neversaydie I will do that. Blackhat you had to go spoil it for me lol, I hope they're not but it will be just my luck if its wrong. When I ordered it off eBay it was definitaley listed as the right one.

Sorry jordan :spin2: , but it happens all the time, ignition switches make and model year ,= Arrives ,,,,,,Wrong, :madflame: Cables ,,,yip them too,

Half the fkers packing the parts don"t have a scooby,,, :pumpking:

Jordan ,,,,, West yorkshire,,,,,see you at Squires ,,, 3rd sept,,,, :icon_cool:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online