Well here is the latest project

regressing
This post is 4384 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Yep this is how I like to get my projects. It's the potential I see in these basket cases. There's nothing like bringing something like this back to it's former glory. This being Ireland, the bike could be on the road in this state. Just needs insurance and Tax and away you go. Not MOT or Roadworthyness test required for bikes. Crazy, I know. I restore them to get them to MOT standard. I'm a Bristolian living here for over 25 years. I seen worse and seen lads riding worse.

Anyway the resto will take a while, most of the work it needs is cosmetic. I'll be starting on it soon. Comments always welcome

Thanks for looking

S7002572.jpg

S7002573.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi Regressing, what a handsome old bike, hope you get it up and running mind you it could do with a bit of a scrub down first, as my old mechanic used to say "you work in shit your work is shit". :jossun:

Well I've seen cleaner field bikes than this. Unusual front mudgaurd. Crhome sprayed with primer. Undersized headlight, found it was held in with gaffer tape and believe or not, blue tac. Thankfully the mud and gunge has actually protected most of the chrome work from rusting. Plenty of elbow grease and a tube or two of Autosol should start to make it shine.

Need to get the engine going first though. A new battery should do the trick. One thing I do miss on these bikes is the option of kickstart.

Not had a cruiser vtwin before. Apart from the battery, is there anything else I should be on the look out for, before I attempt to start it? Are there any known issues with the ignition system that I should check out? I do know that fuel is present in the cylinders. I don't think there is enough life left in the old battery, to spin it over to check for a spark. Any tips would be appreciated.

That should clean up well and look good when finished.

Normal enough checks before spinning her over !

Stick her in 2nd or 3rd gear, give her a wee push slowly to make sure she turns freely enough.

Air filter in good nick

Throttle not sticking

Choke working, hopefully

Fresh fuel

Both plugs sparking, when earthed

Enough oil in engine

Check the earths to the frame and engine.

New batter in

Give her a whirle and see what happens.

She might not start but will give ya a good idea of whats going on.

Ya prob have carbs to clean and all the rest to get her going smoothly.

Thanks for the info. I did all the usual checks. The bike had been sitting idle for over a year I knew it would mean the carb would have to come out. Gave it a clean. There was some gunk in the float chamber along with a jelly like substance. Popped it back in on the fourth attempt it fired up. It's running quite smoothly. I've not had a V-twin before, nice tone out of the exhaust. Next on the agenda is to clean it. Carry out some minor repairs, then start tracking down the missing or broken parts. EG... Mudgaurd, headlight RH side panel and indidcators.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online