Clunking sound

Gavski11
This post is 4429 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi guys,

I seem to have a clunking sound coming from some where around the engine area. I think it's coming from where the chain goes into the engine but I'm not sure. Its asif I had some thing stuck in my chain and ever time it goes round it makes a clunk and it's more at low speeds. It sounds more of a mechanical clunking to.

I've checked the chain see if there is out in it and there isn't I've checked it if it's lose and it's fine. So I was woundering if any1 could shed any light on this worrying anoying sound. Hopefully ya sort of get what I mean haha.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the chain to see if youve got a a seized link. Get the rear wheel off the deck and rotate it slowly, if there is a seized link youill see it not sitting in the sprocket teeth as it comes round the rear sprocket. Take off the front sprocket cover and check the sprocket is still secured on the shaft.

Check the chain to see if youve got a a seized link. Get the rear wheel off the deck and rotate it slowly, if there is a seized link youill see it not sitting in the sprocket teeth as it comes round the rear sprocket. Take off the front sprocket cover and check the sprocket is still secured on the shaft.

+1

yep, a stiff link. best place to see it is on the straight run at the bottom, you will see a definite kink. Often caused by riding in winter without adequate chain lube IMO.

It happened to me once and cost me a new chain, I couldnt free it adequately

Cheers guys I'll have alook. I've been told also as well as what u lot have said that it might be worn sprockets. So I'll have alook at them to. Just got a Haynes manual so I'll be tinkering haha.

Looked at the chain no seized link. The tea sprocket looks ok just need to check the frount! Not been on her for a a while. I'm in proses of geting some chain lube and want to soak then chain on oil. I would say the noise is still there as I've not ridden her for a while so if I cnt find out what's up ill have to take to a garage. :(

Why not remove the chain, then run the bike up through the gears.

Tie the chain up out the way and push the bike about a bit with the motor off and see if that causes the clunk.

Then at least you will know if it is chain, engine or chassis.

No it doesn't make the sound on tick over or start up just when moving and its more prominent when moving slowly but still there it when going abit faster. Im gunna change the sprockets and chain and see from there if its not that to the garage it goes. :(

No it doesn't make the sound on tick over or start up just when moving and its more prominent when moving slowly but still there it when going abit faster. Im gunna change the sprockets and chain and see from there if its not that to the garage it goes. :(

Is there any play in the front sprocket?

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online